Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 09:51 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,797,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sub-forums are apparently left up to the moderators here.
Minor correction...we moderators have no say in the creation of sub-fora. That is a decision of the administrator.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 05:46 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,609,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Much of it comes from the nation's general ignorance of Idaho. All my life, anywhere outside of the mountain west, when I was anywhere east of Denver, people would think I was from Iowa. Lots didn't even know Idaho exists!

Those who did only knew of Boise, because its the capital. They learn it in school, and that's all they ever learn about my home state.

This change only began pretty recently. Much of it has only arisen when Idaho became a hot spot to move to and began attracting widespread attention.

Now that we are the Glamor Girl Of The West, I'm sure all our cities will get more attention in the national weather casts and in the general news of the day.

But even now, very few people in other places know very little about Idaho. I've been a regular on this forum for a very long time, and the most frequent questions outsiders ask still show huge ignorance of Old Mother Idaho's diversity.

I'm not sure I want to see the weather forecast on the Today Show displaying places like Mt. Home or Buhl on the map. We are growing fast enough as it is, and I think we really don't need more national attention.

That's pathetic (on the part of the people you encountered, not on your part).

Old 05-14-2022, 01:30 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
That's pathetic (on the part of the people you encountered, not on your part).
It was a long time ago. Everyone knows Idaho exists now.

Sometimes that old ignorance was amusing at times. Quite a lot of folks who mistook Idaho for Iowa back then grew embarrassed when I mentioned potatoes.

They often instantly connected Idaho to Famous Potatoes as soon as I mentioned the spuds.

That Famous Potatoes slogan on our license plates began as a sales device in the late 1930s.
Back then, Idaho had become the nation's largest potato producer, but the Potato Commission discovered most folks still thought the spuds they were eating came from Maine.

So the Commission appealed to the Governor, who ordered the slogan to be stamped on all our license plates. A few years later, the Governor also insisted every box of processed spuds that went to war must have the slogan, or "Grown in Idaho" on every can of instant potatoes the G.I.s ate. Both really helped put us on the map, but much less on the East Coast.

People seem to remember what they read on a state's license plates.

It sure worked. Almost every state promotes some commercial product they promote on license plates now, but we were the first state to do it, and the only state for a long time.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:52 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,914,819 times

https://townsquare.media/site/726/fi...1&s=0&a=t&q=89

Old 07-16-2022, 09:15 AM

159 posts, read 191,612 times
I moved from Boise to TN last year. Sure wish we had moved to Twin Falls instead. Also would have been a lot closer move.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,794,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgirl View Post
I moved from Boise to TN last year. Sure wish we had moved to Twin Falls instead. Also would have been a lot closer move.
Where in TN? I have family in TN and TF, ID.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:10 PM

5,594 posts, read 5,050,723 times
Quote:
TF is having more development. But not as much as Meridian that is near Boise. What made you move from Boise?

Old 07-22-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Where in TN? I have family in TN and TF, ID.
Chuckey/Greeneville area. East

Old 07-22-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
TF is having more development. But not as much as Meridian that is near Boise. What made you move from Boise?
Some times I don't know why. Lol!! My husband lost his job in Caldwell due to covid. I have family in Nashville and visited years ago and really liked TN. That is why we decided to make the move. Every place has changed. TN Doesn't have the "southern hospitality as it did 20 years ago!! Big mistake. And this humidity!!

Old 07-22-2022, 04:56 PM

5,594 posts, read 5,050,723 times
Quote:
Some times I don't know why. Lol!! My husband lost his job in Caldwell due to covid. I have family in Nashville and visited years ago and really liked TN. That is why we decided to make the move. Every place has changed. TN Doesn't have the "southern hospitality as it did 20 years ago!! Big mistake. And this humidity!!
TN is known to have alot of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho