Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

Mrs. Tango and I will be taking a big road trip in next fall - our classic convertible turns 50 years old next year and we're taking it on a Route 66 Road Trip. Our Day 1 destination as we head to the Chicago start, from San Francisco, will be in Idaho.

It'll be an overnight stop to get some sleep before heading to Casper WY via Grand Teton Nat'l Park on Day 2.

So, which falls is prettier to view, Twin Falls or Idaho Falls? From a quick image search it looks like Twin Falls may win out. I figure we'll spend maybe 15 minutes looking (very) briefly at the falls, and taking a few pictures, before continuing east.

Thanks!
e7t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
To clarify, I'm asking about the waterfalls and not the city or its surroundings.

Thanks again,
e7t

Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Hi, e7t...
Shoshone Falls, the waterfall that is actually inside the Twin Falls city limits, wins out for being spectacular. It is higher than Niagara Falls, and is best during the springtime runoff. It's on the edge of town. The Snake River is highly controlled; depending on the time of year during the fall, the water over Shoshone Falls can be a relative trickle, but the drop is still breathtaking. The area around the falls is a rather small public park, and Twin is not touristy, which makes the first view of the falls jaw-dropping awesome (in the true sense of the word). It can be easily seen within your 15-minute time frame,as there is essentially only one developed viewing area.

Idaho Falls is a cascade that runs through the middle of the downtown area. The falls are surrounded by a beautiful walkway on either side of the river called the Greenbelt, and has a replica of the first bridge over the Snake River that leads to an island just at the end of the falls. Because I.F. is much closer to the headwater confluence of the Snake, a stroll on the Greenbelt is the best way to see Idaho Falls. It's a popular year-round pedestrian trail that is completely developed and landscaped; part is natural, part is planted. There are many benches, and wild geese populate the area year round. There are also quite a few bald eagles who nest just upriver, and are often seen crusing around the falls.

You can easily visit both, as Idaho Falls is the Idaho gateway to the Teton Park from the west.

I don't know what route you are planning, but if you plan to head east on I-80 out of San Francisco, going north on US-93, the old snowbird route, will put you right in to Twin Falls. I-84 east from Twin connects to I-15 north, which goes straight to Idaho Falls, and I.F. is the natural end of the trail for that day's drive. We have a lot of great hotel accomodations that overlook the falls in I.F., and there are a bunch of good restaurants and saloons within easy walking distance along the falls and in the neighboring blocks on either side.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-16-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Mrs. Tango and I will be taking a big road trip in next fall - our classic convertible turns 50 years old next year and we're taking it on a Route 66 Road Trip. Our Day 1 destination as we head to the Chicago start, from San Francisco, will be in Idaho.

It'll be an overnight stop to get some sleep before heading to Casper WY via Grand Teton Nat'l Park on Day 2.

So, which falls is prettier to view, Twin Falls or Idaho Falls? From a quick image search it looks like Twin Falls may win out. I figure we'll spend maybe 15 minutes looking (very) briefly at the falls, and taking a few pictures, before continuing east.

Thanks!
e7t
The Snake River Canyon adjacent to the city of Twin Falls and the waterfalls are by far much more majestic then the falls in Idaho Falls. Nothing against I.F. cause it is my hometown

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
The "falls" are somewhat a misnomer. If you want real "fallls", neither city offers much.

Idaho Falls is pleasant, with a minor overflow near downtown. Twin Falls is more of a gorge, very photogenic, but no falls to see.

Shohsone Falls is the true hightlight, about 5 miles east of TF, and I guess still inside the city of Twin. Best time to visit would be May and June, or whenever the snowmelt is at the highest.

Shoshone Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
If you're only planning a few minutes to take pictures, then you can do both and use Idaho Falls as your stop for the night.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM

39 posts, read 79,848 times
The beautiful falls out here are a little over an hour from Idaho falls and the area is more scenic than the area around twin falls. I am not a native though but have driven through both. The over flow in down town IF is pretty but by no means what I would consider a waterfall. Edit: after looking at the link for shoshone falls go there lol.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Taking the "Falls" out of the equation, I would vote for Idaho Falls over Twin Falls because on clear days the mountain views from the area around IF are more impressive than Twin, IMO. However, from right in-town you really don't see them.

And while this isn't part of the question, I will offer Pocatello as better than both as it sits in a bowl with mountains on three sides.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Sorry, OP was asking about the actual "Falls". Sorry for too much information!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Don't get rambunctious and attempt an Evel Knievel.

Last edited by Senno; 12-23-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls