Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 04:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLeeSpeaking View Post
Yeah, I don't care about all of that. I'm more interested in why you think you have a right to shut the door behind you, when you only moved to Hagerman a few years ago.

Fact of the matter is anyone who wants to move to Hagerman can, left or right, rich or poor. Your opinion on that doesn't mean anything.

Also, you might do well to actually study your Idaho (and Gooding County) history... you might be surprised to find that Hagerman hasn't always been "very conservative." I'm sure Banjo can back me up on that.
I never said I shut the door behind me after my move. I left Salt Lake for the same reason. Too big, too many screaming kids running amuck, ultra traffic, crime and pollution. ALL of which I wanted to get the heck away from. I welcome those that don't want to change what we have. If not I'd rather show them the direction to Boise (what I not so affectionately call "Little Kalifornia"). It is a bit of human nature that we seek what is comfortable and familiar to us. This fits. I justifiably do NOT want it to change. So there.......

I'm not so much interested in studying the way it may have been here 40 years ago. But for what it's worth my neighbor grew up in this entire area, he's 75 and he said over all those years people have always been quite conservative, NOT liberal. This is regarding the Camas, Gooding and Hagerman areas. Like it or not that's what it WAS and IS. So I have no idea what your reference is but it's not that way here nor has it been. Twin Falls was always a bit different. Shoshone is also quite conservative. Rather the opposite end of the realm compared to the Boise area. I know one thing for sure is in the Hagerman valley it's "if it ain't yours don't be touching it". Refreshing having had to deal with the previous place who don't teach their brats that motto. Anyway I'm done discussing this. I'm on this side and you're obviously on the other. So please........STAY THERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 05:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I never said I shut the door behind me after my move. I left Salt Lake for the same reason. Too big, too many screaming kids running amuck, ultra traffic, crime and pollution. ALL of which I wanted to get the heck away from. I welcome those that don't want to change what we have. If not I'd rather show them the direction to Boise (what I not so affectionately call "Little Kalifornia"). It is a bit of human nature that we seek what is comfortable and familiar to us. This fits. I justifiably do NOT want it to change. So there.......

I'm not so much interested in studying the way it may have been here 40 years ago. But for what it's worth my neighbor grew up in this entire area, he's 75 and he said over all those years people have always been quite conservative, NOT liberal. This is regarding the Camas, Gooding and Hagerman areas. Like it or not that's what it WAS and IS. So I have no idea what your reference is but it's not that way here nor has it been. Twin Falls was always a bit different. Shoshone is also quite conservative. Rather the opposite end of the realm compared to the Boise area. I know one thing for sure is in the Hagerman valley it's "if it ain't yours don't be touching it". Refreshing having had to deal with the previous place who don't teach their brats that motto. Anyway I'm done discussing this. I'm on this side and you're obviously on the other. So please........STAY THERE

"Too big, too many screaming kids running amuck, ultra traffic, crime and pollution. ALL of which I wanted to get the heck away from".

Yes same here but also add the racing of cars, side shows, lack of parking etc.

We will leave this behind and find somewhere that isn't like that to assimilate life there and not change it.
If there is any change that is needed, it's here but I am so sick n tired of it all and was raised here that it's time for a change.
This place is beyond change it's DOOMED

Old 07-02-2020, 08:01 PM

I understand all too well. I wish you a good time getting what your after.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I understand all too well. I wish you a good time getting what your after.
Thanks for your input.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:24 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So it is called the "Magic Valley"? Those little towns have a low population or the population density is low?
I gather then there is more snowfall in these small towns in East Idaho area compared to Boise

Where in Boise they are suppose to use a different kind of chemical to cover their light snowfall so it doesn't eat the bottom of the cars in Boise?

Twin Falls, Pocatello and Idaho Falls (East Idaho areas)?Have harsher weather and more snow?
I just want more privacy, less to little noise and traffic.
It's called the Magic Valley because the pioneers found they could grow anything in the soil once the sagebrush was cleared and the soil was watered.
Our volcanic soil may be dry, but it's some of the richest soil in the west. Crops grew like magic.

Yes, the population density is low. In comparison only. The Magic Valley became the place all the dairy industry in California sought to move to when their dairy farms started becoming crowded out by suburban sprawl. The dairy industry there is huge now, and has attracted a bunch of large national companies that make various dairy products.

Snowfall isn't the big problem in our winters. It's the cold that is the most problematic. The snow turns to ice on the streets and highways.
Boise deals with their streets differently than other cities. Idaho Falls gets more snow, so our streets are plowed when the snowfall reached a certain level. Clearing the streets is a city priority the citizens wanted. Plowing eliminates the need for melt chemicals on the streets, but it's more expensive to plow.

Cold here is all about elevation. The higher a city is, the colder it will be. Everything in NID is lower than SID. Boise lies in a hole in the river bottoms, surrounded by hills, so its warmer by a few degrees than higher, more exposed Mtn. Home, about 75 mi. south.

Idaho Falls lies on an upward slope that's more exposed than Pocatello, 50 mi. south, which lies in a hole surrounded by mountains. So I.F. is always a few degrees colder than Pocatello.

Privacy and little noise is everywhere here. We have few medium-sized towns of 30,000 people here. 65,000 constitutes a large city here, and there are only a small handful of that size. Boise, at 200,000 is the only true city we have in the state.

This means all the critical services- big medical facilities, shopping, goods and services past the most common needs- require long driving distances to reach when living in one of our small towns. A shopping trip can be easily a long day, with a 2-hour drive each way.

If you look at a map, you'll see what I mean.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's called the Magic Valley because the pioneers found they could grow anything in the soil once the sagebrush was cleared and the soil was watered.
Our volcanic soil may be dry, but it's some of the richest soil in the west. Crops grew like magic.

Yes, the population density is low. In comparison only. The Magic Valley became the place all the dairy industry in California sought to move to when their dairy farms started becoming crowded out by suburban sprawl. The dairy industry there is huge now, and has attracted a bunch of large national companies that make various dairy products.

Snowfall isn't the big problem in our winters. It's the cold that is the most problematic. The snow turns to ice on the streets and highways.
Boise deals with their streets differently than other cities. Idaho Falls gets more snow, so our streets are plowed when the snowfall reached a certain level. Clearing the streets is a city priority the citizens wanted. Plowing eliminates the need for melt chemicals on the streets, but it's more expensive to plow.

Cold here is all about elevation. The higher a city is, the colder it will be. Everything in NID is lower than SID. Boise lies in a hole in the river bottoms, surrounded by hills, so its warmer by a few degrees than higher, more exposed Mtn. Home, about 75 mi. south.

Idaho Falls lies on an upward slope that's more exposed than Pocatello, 50 mi. south, which lies in a hole surrounded by mountains. So I.F. is always a few degrees colder than Pocatello.

Privacy and little noise is everywhere here. We have few medium-sized towns of 30,000 people here. 65,000 constitutes a large city here, and there are only a small handful of that size. Boise, at 200,000 is the only true city we have in the state.

This means all the critical services- big medical facilities, shopping, goods and services past the most common needs- require long driving distances to reach when living in one of our small towns. A shopping trip can be easily a long day, with a 2-hour drive each way.

If you look at a map, you'll see what I mean.
Maybe I should also consider Hagerman?
As far as the snow goes, I had read from the Idaho Dept. of Transportation website? that Boise, Idaho was using a special chemical to melt the snow that wouldn't ruin the under carriages of vehicles with rust. Nothing was mentioned on other towns/areas of Idaho on this.
As far as medical facilities, dental services perhaps those services are available in Boise but I wouldn't want to be living in Boise but perhaps nearby. Lots of development also going on in Pocatello and Idaho Falls.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:28 PM

If one doesn't mind the half hour drive to Twin Falls it's all there. You name it. Costco, Winco, Walmart, Best Buy.......the list is endless. Of course the usual Chic Fil A, Jack In The Box, Culvers, Black Bear Diner, Johnny Carino's, and some nicer one's like Jaker's, Elevation, Rock Creek Restaurant and a ton of other local one's that have been around forever that are also great, especially for breakfast. The large St. Lukes Hospital is quite competent regarding it's cardiology and cancer centers. Tons of car dealers for VW, Toyota, Honda, Hundai, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler/Jeep and more. So there's not a lot missing. There is a mall but that's not a big deal. Plenty of strip plazas for clothes and shoes and such. So it's all there. I just prefer to not be IN a city. Some do. For cellular I have had them all and settled on the least expensive that has proven best performance ironically, Consumer Cellular. They have stores for Verizon and AT&T of course if you prefer. The preferred high speed internet and TV provider is without a doubt Sparklight. They've been GREAT to me and I need it for my home office work. About the ONLY thing I dislike that lacks with Hagerman is there's no car wash

Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
If one doesn't mind the half hour drive to Twin Falls it's all there. You name it. Costco, Winco, Walmart, Best Buy.......the list is endless. Of course the usual Chic Fil A, Jack In The Box, Culvers, Black Bear Diner, Johnny Carino's, and some nicer one's like Jaker's, Elevation, Rock Creek Restaurant and a ton of other local one's that have been around forever that are also great, especially for breakfast. The large St. Lukes Hospital is quite competent regarding it's cardiology and cancer centers. Tons of car dealers for VW, Toyota, Honda, Hundai, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler/Jeep and more. So there's not a lot missing. There is a mall but that's not a big deal. Plenty of strip plazas for clothes and shoes and such. So it's all there. I just prefer to not be IN a city. Some do. For cellular I have had them all and settled on the least expensive that has proven best performance ironically, Consumer Cellular. They have stores for Verizon and AT&T of course if you prefer. The preferred high speed internet and TV provider is without a doubt Sparklight. They've been GREAT to me and I need it for my home office work. About the ONLY thing I dislike that lacks with Hagerman is there's no car wash
sounds great.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:24 PM

1,111 posts, read 747,732 times
Any updates or recent developments in this area?

Old 09-04-2023, 02:40 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
No new businesses to speak of. Some housing has been developed down along the river, and another subdivision type development to the north of town above the city park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho