Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,370 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Idaho, work in Boise, not sure where we'd settle. We currently live in a small Amish town about 30 miles outside of Cleveland, Ohio. In doing research discovered some areas to have high lead contamination, Toxic gas plumage releases. Some major factories in the area were even said to be emitting toxic reproductive fumes into the air. This info. was so disheartening because I was so excited about the chance for a change. Is this OLD info. I discovered or are there current problems. Thanks! Also are there any nice smaller towns outside of Boise about 20 min. to 1/2 hr. drive out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2006, 08:32 PM

26 posts, read 167,566 times
I to am interested in relocating to Boise. However, I am from Louisiana and I am sure there will be a climate shock... I am interested in Good sides of teh town... Good schools ETC. I have a 3 yo & a 1 yo.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,370 times
Default Good side of town

I am also interested in the good sides of the town although if there are health threats such as high lead levels, children are at great developmental risk.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 PM

26 posts, read 167,566 times
I haven't found much online about pollution or smog issues other than normal... The air is much worse in houston.

But, I am not a resident... Just looking to be...

Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 PM

149 posts, read 1,099,079 times
I was born in Idaho, and lived there for about 30 years. Boise doesn't have any big industrial plants that usually contribute to air quality problems.

However, Boise does sit in a valley. During the winter months, it's common for cold air to be trapped in the valley and warm air to be sitting on top. The weathermen call this the "inversion". When this happens, all of the smog and other air pollutants get trapped and make for very gray, hazy, smoky days. If you have asthma, then this could be a concern. Otherwise, it's just annoying.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 PM

12 posts, read 49,993 times
I have lived here for 17 years and have never even heard of such a thing. My children are all healthy, strong, active kids. The worse we get is what pinkpalace talked about.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 PM

749 posts, read 1,328,425 times
Default winter inversions

How do the inversions affect Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, and Kuna, as compared to Boise?

Are they all affected or mostly just Boise.

Last edited by jlvs2run; 06-18-2006 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,997,724 times
Default Idaho Health Threat

If Yellowstone blows up, Idaho will have a health threat, until then, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 PM

278 posts, read 1,139,864 times
There all effected in the valley to one extent or another. There is some pollution there and yes there air requirements are not what some other areas are. Also cleaning solvents if I recall right were some thing they were on the look out in the ground water. The lead and also to some mercury is found almost any were there was a lot of mining going on as they were both used to recover gold and silver. The reason for some warnings on eating and how much you eat of fish from some waters what I found out shocking is there family friendly saying. I found it to be only skin deep nothing real.
One thing I saw coming throw was car smog getting more like calif. (I remember days the so called inversion was worse then the calif air I left) there being forced to tighten up the smog law by the feds. To me it should be some thing you want to do and not be forced to do if you really care about families and people.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM

246 posts, read 330,439 times
Default Air quality

I remember the winter temperature inversions were really bad years back but they haven't been that big of a problem recently. In any case, compared to the kind of pollution you'd see in any moderately-sized city the health implications would be minimal in my estimation.

The only health risk I'd be mindful of is the cellphone toting SUV driver with California (or 1-J) plates.

Magpies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho