Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM

101 posts, read 451,882 times

Advertisements

I just looked up the employment laws at the Idaho Labor website W&H Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (http://labor.idaho.gov/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=771#FAQ23 - broken link) . I did so because my teenage daughter was treated ridiculously at her job, fired without cause, and during the period of time she worked there, was never given any kind of lunch break, even when she worked as long as an 8 hour shift.

Now, for native Idahoans, maybe this doesn't seem like a big deal. For those of us coming from some other states though, like California (where employees actually have rights), these happenings seem ridiculous.

However, after looking up the laws, I realized that Idaho does not protect it's employees, at all. Employers are not required to give any kind of meal breaks, and they can terminate employment without notice for absolutely no reason at all! Ludicrous! What an absolute joke!

As far as my daughter is concerned, we are clearly frustrated at what happened, but I seriously think she is better off, as the "women" working at her place of employment (and I use that term lightly) were absolute immature idiots. And thankfully, we are getting the heck out of this state in 3 months.

However, I thought I'd post the information for anyone who may be considering moving to Idaho from another state, especially if coming from a state that actually has reasonable laws concerning employees.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,851 times
On one hand I can sympathize with your frustration...

On the other hand, what the heck are you crying about? If an employer doesn't know how to treat employees then they are hurting themselves. Turnover is expensive. Besides, you said your daughter was better off. It is always disturbing to me how many people have a problem and immediately think government ought to pass a law or enact a regulation to help them out.

Also, so-called employee protections also sometimes hurt the employees. As a California employer I can cite a couple of examples. Our warehouse crew used to like to work 4x10 hour days sometimes. Thanks to the California legislature a few years back they now no longer have the option to do that from time to time. That costs the employees extra money in commuting costs plus denies them the ability to have a 3-day weekend frequently. This "protection" was passed so that anything over eight hours in a day was overtime. But I have yet to talk to anyone - employer or worker - who thinks it is a good idea.

Another example - I hired someone for a temporary job for 3 months. At the end of the 3 months, I decided we would continue the position for 3 more months. Then we ended the job after the 6 months. He filed unemployment on us even though it was always a temporary job. I explained it to the unemployment office but they said it didn't matter if it was only a temporary job. Guess what? No more temporary jobs from my company. That hurts the unemployed worker.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
I just looked up the employment laws at the Idaho Labor website W&H Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (http://labor.idaho.gov/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=771#FAQ23 - broken link) . I did so because my teenage daughter was treated ridiculously at her job, fired without cause, and during the period of time she worked there, was never given any kind of lunch break, even when she worked as long as an 8 hour shift.

Now, for native Idahoans, maybe this doesn't seem like a big deal. For those of us coming from some other states though, like California (where employees actually have rights), these happenings seem ridiculous.

However, after looking up the laws, I realized that Idaho does not protect it's employees, at all. Employers are not required to give any kind of meal breaks, and they can terminate employment without notice for absolutely no reason at all! Ludicrous! What an absolute joke!

As far as my daughter is concerned, we are clearly frustrated at what happened, but I seriously think she is better off, as the "women" working at her place of employment (and I use that term lightly) were absolute immature idiots. And thankfully, we are getting the heck out of this state in 3 months.

However, I thought I'd post the information for anyone who may be considering moving to Idaho from another state, especially if coming from a state that actually has reasonable laws concerning employees.
Please tell us again what the reason for leaving California was? This is why Californians that move to other states get such a hard time. Don't like all the 'crap' in California and move somewhere else then try and make it just like California.

As the saying goes...don't let the door hit your...

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,335 times
Too many people assume the laws of California are the law of the land. One of the reasons for my cashout and early retirement was that I was tired of dealing with employee hassles. CA laws protects employees so well that it's nearly impossible to fire an incompetent boob that can neither do their job or even bother to get to work on time occasionally for any reason. Most employers will even keep complete idiots if they just manage to show up on time every day. It's also one of the reasons lot's of businesses have been leaving CA in recent years.

Now I realize your teenager is an angel and can do no wrong but employers don't fire people for no reason at all. Good employees are good for the bottom line. Employers tend to treat good employees very well. It's just business.

When I read stories like this, it makes me understand why I get scowls and sideways looks when people in the neighboring states see my CA plates.

Here's the story translated to reality: Your kid got mouthy when the boss actually expected her to work for the pay she was getting. Boss finally got tired of it and canned her. This may come as a shock but outside of CA and Oregon, employers actually have the right to fire employees who suck.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
It's truly no big secret that Idaho is a right to work state. Ninersfan is correct that it co$t in a major way whenever there's turnover. I know where I work if we're needing help, yet not really hiring we'll use a temp company, which does save us some money in the big picture.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,332 times
It comes down to which economic philosophy your state subscribes to:

Idaho: Adam Smith (perhaps less "friendly" but definitely free market, where good employers still pull the best people away from bad employers)

California: Karl Marx (gives you a big hug and a free lunch and everyone has a "right" to something, and everyone gets to be poor together)

....you choose where you want to work....

(And yes, I have had employees in both states and dealt with HR hassles so I'm speaking from experience)

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM

101 posts, read 451,882 times
I worked several years for a major corporation in CA, and they seemed to have no problem getting rid of people who needed to be let go.

FYI, my daughter did exactly the job she was asked to do, and received nothing but good reviews during her time employed there. She was terminated because a coworker, known for bullying not only other employees but also their manager, took some of my daughter's property (expensive property) and then got into her purse as well. The chickensh*t manager wouldn't handle it, so my husband instructed the woman not to touch my daughter's property again (respectfully, it's not like he yelled or swore or anything, he just told her to leave my daughter's property alone). the coworker bullied the manager further, and convinced her to not allow my daughter to return (obviously because she doesn't want to be called out on her inappropriate behavior).

In California, there's no WAY this kind of thing would fly. Not unless the business owner wanted a lawsuit on their hands.

But that's okay, you guys continue to defend this place all you want. More power to you. The laughable practices here won't be my problem after June.

And again, I didn't post this info for people who live here who just want to argue...I posted it for individuals considering moving here, just as a heads up.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
I love Idaho...and our free market philosophy. Good riddance.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM

210 posts, read 946,864 times
Pippi33,

I'm sorry what happened to your daughter, injustice can happen anywhere, even California. There are bad people everywhere and it's too bad she had to learn that this way. Is that really the kind of place she would want to work if that was tolerated? It could have been turned into a positive life lesson.

Thanks for bringing up the labor laws, I think most idahoans would prefer it if the type of person who would sue a business owner over a matter such as this not move here. I don't see why/how it is the state's responsibility to tell a business who they can and can't hire and fire or that a manager does the right thing. It's not like a job is an entitlement. As another poster said, the business is hurting themselves and jobs are not hard to find in most parts of Idaho right now.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
I worked several years for a major corporation in CA, and they seemed to have no problem getting rid of people who needed to be let go.

In California, there's no WAY this kind of thing would fly. Not unless the business owner wanted a lawsuit on their hands.

But that's okay, you guys continue to defend this place all you want. More power to you. The laughable practices here won't be my problem after June.
Please tell us why your originally moved from California to Idaho? Was it because you were not happy in California? I'm seeing a trend here...

The grass is always greener...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho