Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
And again, I didn't post this info for people who live here who just want to argue...I posted it for individuals considering moving here, just as a heads up.
Thanks for the heads-up. It makes me feel better about moving my California company to Boise in 18 months!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 PM

101 posts, read 452,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Please tell us why your originally moved from California to Idaho? Was it because you were not happy in California? I'm seeing a trend here...

The grass is always greener...
Not at all. I moved here to be closer to extended family.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Sage...I loved your reply. It pretty much said it all. AZ is a right-to-work state as well. It's all good. I want to move away from the hot, dry desert climate when I retire next year and one of the reasons I am chooing Idaho is due to the economic position.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
IDAHO LAW DOES NOT REQUIRE
1. vacation, holiday, severance or sick pay;
2. a discharge notice or a reason for discharge;
3. rest periods, breaks, lunch breaks, holidays off or vacations;
4. premium pay rates for weekends or holidays worked;
5. pay raises or fringe benefits; or
6. a limit on the number of hours an employee can work per day or week for employees 16 years of age or older

The above is a direct quote from The Guide To Idaho Labor Laws, distributed by the Idaho Department of Labor. In addition, Idaho is a Right To Work state, meaning there is no obligation to be part of any union, and you can not be discriminated against for belonging to/not belonging to a union. You can read more about this at Right to Work States: Idaho | NRTW which quotes the appropriate section of the Idaho Code.

And I would think it would be fairly obvious, if you intend to work in the state you are moving to, it is a good idea to research ahead of time and know what the rules are. Have you looked to see how the labor laws compare to both Idaho and California for the next state you are moving to?

I understand the frustration you must be feeling, but I honestly can't see the story, as listed above, being the whole backstory. I'm sure your daughter is honest about the story from her point of view. However, two things: it is human nature to (even subconciously) put the best face on things, and there is almost always more than one point of view for any situation. I would bet there was more going on behind the scenes, and that this was probably not the first confrontation that took place involving your daughter and the other employee. Also, was the other employee caught with the stolen goods? You said they were expensive. That's a matter for the police, especially if they were of higher value, which might even fall under the "grand theft" category. How did your daughter discover the theft and determine the culprit? How did she respond? These might have been contributing factors to the termination.

Anyway, it sounds like your daughter's ex-employer might be not very nice, but did not break any laws. He could have been needing to cut back on number of employees and just used this as a (poor) excuse. No excuse is needed in Idaho, nor is notice required.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,886 times
Remember this. There are two sides to every story.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
[MOD CUT]
I use to be a waiter in seattle and I made a base minimum wage and if I gave good service my tip was extra and a gift from the customers.. and I was given a break to sit down and catch my breath and eat...
I found out later here in idaho the laws allow businesses to pay waiters 3.15 per hour and that makes their customers tip not be extra but actually their wage!
Not to mention, there are no breaks or lunches for waiters, think about that next time you see your waiter running around nonstop at jonny carino's and there's a 2 hour wait time for a table...
Its not a perfect state, but its starting to change... [MOD CUT]
:P

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 03-06-2008 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Not the right forum for party politics

Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
I agree with this.

Idaho may be a good state to own or operate a business in, but it's really a poor state to work for someone else in, depending.

That said, every employer I've had has been really good about giving breaks, lunches, OT, vacation, sick time, and even benefits.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 03-06-2008 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited out

Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
I worked several years for a major corporation in CA, and they seemed to have no problem getting rid of people who needed to be let go.

FYI, my daughter did exactly the job she was asked to do, and received nothing but good reviews during her time employed there. She was terminated because a coworker, known for bullying not only other employees but also their manager, took some of my daughter's property (expensive property) and then got into her purse as well. The chickensh*t manager wouldn't handle it, so my husband instructed the woman not to touch my daughter's property again (respectfully, it's not like he yelled or swore or anything, he just told her to leave my daughter's property alone). the coworker bullied the manager further, and convinced her to not allow my daughter to return (obviously because she doesn't want to be called out on her inappropriate behavior).

In California, there's no WAY this kind of thing would fly. Not unless the business owner wanted a lawsuit on their hands.

But that's okay, you guys continue to defend this place all you want. More power to you. The laughable practices here won't be my problem after June.

And again, I didn't post this info for people who live here who just want to argue...I posted it for individuals considering moving here, just as a heads up.
I am just curious if you live in northern or southern Idaho? I have lived here, (northern), pretty much my whole life and I agree the practices here are laughable.

Oh and I commend your daughter for attempting to get a job. There are so many spoiled bratts around here they think they are too good to get a job. Surely daddy bought them that new Mercedes

Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
It comes down to which economic philosophy your state subscribes to:

Idaho: Adam Smith (perhaps less "friendly" but definitely free market, where good employers still pull the best people away from bad employers)

California: Karl Marx (gives you a big hug and a free lunch and everyone has a "right" to something, and everyone gets to be poor together)

....you choose where you want to work....

(And yes, I have had employees in both states and dealt with HR hassles so I'm speaking from experience)
Question: how is this any more or less "political" than what Boiseguy posted above about the Republican party's influence in Idaho?

It is certainly a biting commentary on your idea of the political climate in both states, and something that is subject for debate, no more or less than what Boiseguy posted before you edited it out. Yours is just unspoken implications where his was more overt - either way they're both criticisms of "party politics," which you've made clear this is "not the right forum" for that.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Question: how is this any more or less "political" than what Boiseguy posted above about the Republican party's influence in Idaho?

It is certainly a biting commentary on your idea of the political climate in both states, and something that is subject for debate, no more or less than what Boiseguy posted before you edited it out. Yours is just unspoken implications where his was more overt - either way they're both criticisms of "party politics," which you've made clear this is "not the right forum" for that.
I know you're a bright guy, but I think it would behoove you to separate economic theory from party politics in this thread, which IS about economic approaches by different state governments. Nevada is a good example of a state that is 10x more business friendly and free market than California but is less conservative than Idaho politically. Look at states like Delaware and others that have become very corporate friendly yet are solid blue states.

So when talking about economic theory, business vs workers, etc, it's not necessary to bring in political parties to a discussion. Nowhere did you hear me say "republicans" or "democrats" or attack either party. But some states are more business friendly than others, and California tends to be off-the-charts on the end of quashing free market economics IMHO.

Note that I am not using my mod powers to skew a conversation my way. My post about economic philosophy was in keeping with the OP's theme of this thread. Should I start talking about political parties, especially attacking one (as he did), you would be within your rights to report my post and state that party politics are not appropriate fodder for a state forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho