Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
I worked several years for a major corporation in CA, and they seemed to have no problem getting rid of people who needed to be let go.

FYI, my daughter did exactly the job she was asked to do, and received nothing but good reviews during her time employed there. She was terminated because a coworker, known for bullying not only other employees but also their manager, took some of my daughter's property (expensive property) and then got into her purse as well. The chickensh*t manager wouldn't handle it, so my husband instructed the woman not to touch my daughter's property again (respectfully, it's not like he yelled or swore or anything, he just told her to leave my daughter's property alone). the coworker bullied the manager further, and convinced her to not allow my daughter to return (obviously because she doesn't want to be called out on her inappropriate behavior).

In California, there's no WAY this kind of thing would fly. Not unless the business owner wanted a lawsuit on their hands.

But that's okay, you guys continue to defend this place all you want. More power to you. The laughable practices here won't be my problem after June.

And again, I didn't post this info for people who live here who just want to argue...I posted it for individuals considering moving here, just as a heads up.
Well, than your daughter needs to file a grievance against the company.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Does anyone know how the Idaho right to work state works in the event where the corporate office of a company is in another state that has offices and employees here?
Which work law applies the right to work or the employment laws in which the corp is?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Default Wow LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Please tell us again what the reason for leaving California was? This is why Californians that move to other states get such a hard time. Don't like all the 'crap' in California and move somewhere else then try and make it just like California.

As the saying goes...don't let the door hit your...
Pippi, excellent response!! I live in Alaska and let me tell you we have the same problem up here. Alot of people move up here (and lots of Californians) who want to change things to exactly the way it was where they left. I find this incredible! You are so right.....don't let the door hit your ....... and let me add, the sooner the better.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Does anyone know how the Idaho right to work state works in the event where the corporate office of a company is in another state that has offices and employees here?
Which work law applies the right to work or the employment laws in which the corp is?

Thank you in advance.

I believe that the company is required to abide by whichever is the most strict. Not 100% sure about that, though.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Response was to LBTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Pippi, excellent response!! I live in Alaska and let me tell you we have the same problem up here. Alot of people move up here (and lots of Californians) who want to change things to exactly the way it was where they left. I find this incredible! You are so right.....don't let the door hit your ....... and let me add, the sooner the better.
Sorry about that...I quess Pippi got me riled up lol.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM

101 posts, read 452,045 times
Quote:
Actually, that was being posted TO me, not BY me.

I know Californians get a bad rap, but as Sheri pointed out, Californians are accustomed to reasonable employee rights, so any employment policy which seriously lacks in those rights, strikes us as nothing but a jaunt back into the dark ages.

It's funny, when I left California, I was so glad to be leaving the very thick hispanic population behind. Lol, little did I know I would find Idaho to be somewhat of a conservative hell, and I find myself really missing the cultural diversity and the way that diversity really enriches a life. Certainly it comes with it's challenges too, but I sure see it differently now. Which is good...that's something I needed to learn. Before I moved out of California, I actually perceived myself to be somewhat conservative. Now that I've been in a REAL conservative region, I've learned that I'm what people here would likely find "insanely" liberal. (Not that I think getting a fair meal break during a full work day would be considered a "liberal" thing...just a humane thing). I know...here come the stones...I haven't exactly missed the message that the word "liberal" is pretty much equated with swear words in this state.

And as far as not letting the door hit me in the a**, you know, this is the kind of general attitude I've encountered my entire time here. In general, a very closed minded and unfriendly community. Believe me, I'm as happy to be going as anyone could be that I'm leaving. I can't get back home to "my kind" soon enough! I miss the level of intellect, the wit and humor, people who know how to drive, and last but certainly not least, the amazing Mexican food.

My friends and family back home act like I'm coming home from war or something, having endured this place this long, lol!

Last edited by Pippi333; 03-13-2008 at 01:14 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I believe that the company is required to abide by whichever is the most strict. Not 100% sure about that, though.
Thanks though that is not what I am sure about either. I suppose I am going to have to do some reading and research on it.....

Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
I live in Alaska and let me tell you we have the same problem up here. Alot of people move up here (and lots of Californians) who want to change things to exactly the way it was where they left. I find this incredible!
I certainly agree with you here. I used to live in Texas and didn't like the right to work laws there either BUT ...

I never expected Texas to become more like California. That would be insane so ... I left.

People are crazy if they expect conservative states like Idaho to become like California. It's never gonna happen ... at least in our lifetime.

Yet, some people seem to expect it nonetheless ...

Last edited by sheri257; 03-13-2008 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 AM

Default Actually Pippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
Actually, that was being posted TO me, not BY me.

I know Californians get a bad rap, but as Sheri pointed out, Californians are accustomed to reasonable employee rights, so any employment policy which seriously lacks in those rights, strikes us as nothing but a jaunt back into the dark ages.

It's funny, when I left California, I was so glad to be leaving the very thick hispanic population behind. Lol, little did I know I would find Idaho to be somewhat of a conservative hell, and I find myself really missing the cultural diversity and the way that diversity really enriches a life. Certainly it comes with it's challenges too, but I sure see it differently now. Which is good...that's something I needed to learn. Before I moved out of California, I actually perceived myself to be somewhat conservative. Now that I've been in a REAL conservative region, I've learned that I'm what people here would likely find "insanely" liberal. (Not that I think getting a fair meal break during a full work day would be considered a "liberal" thing...just a humane thing). I know...here come the stones...I haven't exactly missed the message that the word "liberal" is pretty much equated with swear words in this state.

And as far as not letting the door hit me in the a**, you know, this is the kind of general attitude I've encountered my entire time here. In general, a very closed minded and unfriendly community. Believe me, I'm as happy to be going as anyone could be that I'm leaving. I can't get back home to "my kind" soon enough! I miss the level of intellect, the wit and humor, people who know how to drive, and last but certainly not least, the amazing Mexican food.

My friends and family back home act like I'm coming home from war or something, having endured this place this long, lol!
You mention you can't wait to get back home with people who know how to drive. Hmm, well don't mean to insult you, but let me tell you, Alaska is full of Californians who do NOT have a clue as how to drive up here. It sounds as if you had a bad experience in Idaho. I'm just curious if during your time there you have constantly compared Idaho to California. If so, nobody likes that. The attitude becomes then why did you leave where you were. I have some good friends in Idaho and have visited several times and found the people nice. Of course a visit is not living there. What I'm trying to say without offending you is "Alaska has people coming up here from California and other states. Once they get settled in, all of a sudden they start whining about what they use to have, and then they try to change things to make it just like the place they left." And then, yes, attitudes of Alaskans start to change real quick. As for me, I would take Idaho anyday over California; way too much politically correct agenda in that State, as well as way too many problems with illegals. Good luck in your move.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
Default just a note

I just wanted to say that I think you'd find this situation in any state. California has a huge population of agricultural workers, illigal and not who have very few rights. I had similar experiences with lousy jobs as a young woman (with even bigger issues, such as sexual harrasment). In the long run, she's lucky to have parents like you, and she'll pull though and live and learn. It's hard for such a young woman to stand up for herself. The 30 something co-worker knew this. This stuff happens all the time everywhere. It'll teach her how to be more selective in her job seeking, and it'll teach her to value her education so that she'll get a decent job somewhere. It'll teach her to recognize a good job when she gets one, and maybe even teach her to be a good manager someday. It sounds like a hard lesson learned. Time to move on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho