Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:49 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I miss MSR
Me, too.
At one time, we were going to get together for lunch or some coffee, but it never happened.

MSR's health was a lot more delicate than she ever let on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 11:09 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,687,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Me, too.
At one time, we were going to get together for lunch or some coffee, but it never happened.

MSR's health was a lot more delicate than she ever let on.

She and I had many a good DM conversation. She was a very wise and caring human being.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:15 AM

Well said, CFF. I wish I could give you another rep point on this one, but I'll have to wait a while.

MSR could vehemently disagree with someone- anyone- but she always only wanted the best for us all, and she really cared about others' welfare. They didn't have to agree with her to be her friends.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:53 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,687,921 times
Yep, she was a person with strong views!

For all of you who didn't know MSR, check out a thread she started, giving kudos to Idaho forum members who contributed with positive vibes on a regular basis:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/idah...tulations.html
As a matter of fact, I'm going to revive that thread in her honor.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 5,356 times
I noticed the dates on these threads too...i honestly did not expect any responses. I just did a google search and this was one of the first results lol. Thank you nm9stheham for your detailed write up. I like the small town feel, but still need my wal mart or HD/Lowes within 30 mins lol. I'm one of those people if i have a project to complete, i want to do it now...and then I'll also have to run to the store a few times because I either got the wrong part or forgot something lol.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,478,796 times
Got it. That eliminates everyplace on the WY side of the line. If you live over on that side, you are going to have to work with the local lumber and hardware suppliers, not the box chain stores. You have to be over in Cheyenne or Casper to find the box chain lumber stores in WY.

So you are down IF or Poky and if you like the mountains more, then Poky is closer to them.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:39 PM

149 posts, read 175,740 times
[quote=movingagain2012;31410298]Hi all!

We are a family looking to get away from the humidity and somewhere we can live our little homestead dreams. We are from Memphis, TN, have lived in NW Arkansas, and are currently near St. Louis, MO - and we can't stand humidity. We spend entirely too much time of each summer indoors with the air conditioning on high, and the bugs here are just ridiculous. It seems like a great idea to go for a walk until we actually attempt it, then we are back to waiting most of our summers out until fall (our favorite season that seems to last only 2 weeks).

We are looking into moving to Idaho or Wyoming (or possibly western NE), but we want a little farm to raise dogs, chickens, sheep - not a huge farm, but decent like around 10 acres or so - and to be able to grow a great amount of our own food (even in a greenhouse as I've been told we would need in Wyoming). I know one problem could be to find an area with enough water, as I've heard that it is difficult to grow anything in some areas. We are concerned about blizzards and areas with no trees because we'd like a wood-burning fireplace in case the power goes out.

We would like to find a little-farm-friendly area, a homeschool-friendly area, and an area that is family-friendly. We really want to be part of a homeschool group and would love to be able to attend craft fairs every now and then. It would also be great to find somewhere that is a good sized area for most things without having to drive 2 hours to a general shopping area with a Target or Walmart (not only a population of 500 within hours). We are conservative in our views (or leaning slightly libertarian sometimes), would like to find farmer's markets, and it would be great if there were some midwives in the area as well. I realize that's a long list, but we are trying to see how many of those we could 'check' off the list....Oh - I forgot to mention - we work from home doing IT stuff, so high-speed internet is a must as well.

Since you guys are the 'pros' of Idaho, I thought maybe you could suggest why Idaho would be better for us than Wyoming, and which areas might be a good fit for us please? I understand that Idaho has a lower cost of living (at least from checking rent/house prices online) and we are on a tight budget at the moment. Idaho (or WY or even western NE) would also probably get us enough away from this oppressive humidity that makes us feel so bad. I am allergic to mold, and that is another reason I am thinking I need to move somewhere drier - maybe not the hottest desert, but not so humid. To be fair, when we visited Idaho before it was during a drought in August/Sept., so maybe things looked more brown than usual.

Can anyone please help us with some ideas to research/look into further? We have driven through (and stayed in hotels in) many areas in both states (however, we only got as far north as Lewiston in ID), but are still not sure which might be best - or is there somewhere else you'd recommend?

Thank you so much!

Read more: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/neb...#ixzz2etaoU4iB[/QUOTE
Be careful if what you wish for...We moved to Boise area 4 years ago to run away from 8-9 months raining and overcrowded Seattle area. We thought having sun most of the year is great. It was fine in the first two years. We thought we are lucky. But Boise area is extremely dry place. We have an occasional rain and snow. Yes, the air is great here. But we are tired of being on top of irrigation. Tired of living in the dry Steppe. In July -Augist the heat is scorching hot and dry. If you do not mulch your garden the soil gets extra dry. So we are moving to North East Ohio to have "more wet, more snow" and no need to irrigate. If you want to move to Idaho, move to Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint. North Idaho. They have more rain , snow and greenery is lush. But gardening season is short there. And you still need irrigation in summer. But it's insanely expensive to buy a property there. I recommend you come here first and explore. I have been to Missouri, I feel your pain. Too hot , too wet. Ohio is more to the north and though it can get hot and wet in summer , it's not too bad because it is close to the Lake Eerie.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:07 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,031,528 times
[quote=Natalijaasbj;60864568]
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hi all!

We are a family looking to get away from the humidity and somewhere we can live our little homestead dreams. We are from Memphis, TN, have lived in NW Arkansas, and are currently near St. Louis, MO - and we can't stand humidity. We spend entirely too much time of each summer indoors with the air conditioning on high, and the bugs here are just ridiculous. It seems like a great idea to go for a walk until we actually attempt it, then we are back to waiting most of our summers out until fall (our favorite season that seems to last only 2 weeks).

We are looking into moving to Idaho or Wyoming (or possibly western NE), but we want a little farm to raise dogs, chickens, sheep - not a huge farm, but decent like around 10 acres or so - and to be able to grow a great amount of our own food (even in a greenhouse as I've been told we would need in Wyoming). I know one problem could be to find an area with enough water, as I've heard that it is difficult to grow anything in some areas. We are concerned about blizzards and areas with no trees because we'd like a wood-burning fireplace in case the power goes out.

We would like to find a little-farm-friendly area, a homeschool-friendly area, and an area that is family-friendly. We really want to be part of a homeschool group and would love to be able to attend craft fairs every now and then. It would also be great to find somewhere that is a good sized area for most things without having to drive 2 hours to a general shopping area with a Target or Walmart (not only a population of 500 within hours). We are conservative in our views (or leaning slightly libertarian sometimes), would like to find farmer's markets, and it would be great if there were some midwives in the area as well. I realize that's a long list, but we are trying to see how many of those we could 'check' off the list....Oh - I forgot to mention - we work from home doing IT stuff, so high-speed internet is a must as well.

Since you guys are the 'pros' of Idaho, I thought maybe you could suggest why Idaho would be better for us than Wyoming, and which areas might be a good fit for us please? I understand that Idaho has a lower cost of living (at least from checking rent/house prices online) and we are on a tight budget at the moment. Idaho (or WY or even western NE) would also probably get us enough away from this oppressive humidity that makes us feel so bad. I am allergic to mold, and that is another reason I am thinking I need to move somewhere drier - maybe not the hottest desert, but not so humid. To be fair, when we visited Idaho before it was during a drought in August/Sept., so maybe things looked more brown than usual.

Can anyone please help us with some ideas to research/look into further? We have driven through (and stayed in hotels in) many areas in both states (however, we only got as far north as Lewiston in ID), but are still not sure which might be best - or is there somewhere else you'd recommend?

Thank you so much!

Read more: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/neb...#ixzz2etaoU4iB[/QUOTE
Be careful if what you wish for...We moved to Boise area 4 years ago to run away from 8-9 months raining and overcrowded Seattle area. We thought having sun most of the year is great. It was fine in the first two years. We thought we are lucky. But Boise area is extremely dry place. We have an occasional rain and snow. Yes, the air is great here. But we are tired of being on top of irrigation. Tired of living in the dry Steppe. In July -Augist the heat is scorching hot and dry. If you do not mulch your garden the soil gets extra dry. So we are moving to North East Ohio to have "more wet, more snow" and no need to irrigate. If you want to move to Idaho, move to Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint. North Idaho. They have more rain , snow and greenery is lush. But gardening season is short there. And you still need irrigation in summer. But it's insanely expensive to buy a property there. I recommend you come here first and explore. I have been to Missouri, I feel your pain. Too hot , too wet. Ohio is more to the north and though it can get hot and wet in summer , it's not too bad because it is close to the Lake Eerie.
Idaho used to be affordable.
Nebraska I would be concerned about tornados
Hard to imagine that on this side of the lower 48 we are due for a long term drought taking into account that CDA has lots of snow or the further north you go gets more snow like Montana.
Wyoming could be more affordable but you are usually in a town surrounded with nothing around you which is why you don't get traffic. But for shopping in Wyoming for what you might be looking for?

Old 04-20-2021, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,356 times
Its not any dryer than Phoenix, ID Falls area actually gets about 4" more rain annually than Phoenix. Not a huge difference, but at least the summers aren't as brutal. Yes, some days are in the 90's, but a dry heat makes a huge difference. 90s and in the midwest and humid as hell is just miserable. And at least at most it only lasts a short while. Phoenix is getting hotter by the year. Last year was one of the hottest on record with a record # of days in triple digits. It gets so hot the pool water isnt even enjoyable anymore. Imagine having a pool and not being able to enjoy it not because its too cold, but the water is just too warm to enjoy it lol. I cant even use my pool through the latter half of the summer.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:24 PM

The problem is:
Define "affordable".

Despite all the recent complaints about how crowded and overpriced things here are, I cannot see very much massive change that's happened in the state I've lived in all my life.

To me, Idaho still looks pretty similar to the same under-populated, over-isolated place it's always been. A few counties are more crowded now, and a few cities have grown much larger, but those changes are few and far between, and all of them combined would't fill up the leftover land in the Los Angeles basin.

If I was stone broke, I could still find a house here I could afford to live in, if not to buy. That house would still be in a place that's just as inconvenient and isolated as it ever was, but it sure would be affordable.

And 40 miles away from the most congested place that exists here will still land you somewhere that is so isolated that you will be desiccated and snake-bit by the time you wander your way back to civilization.

Personally, I think the folks who are complaining about our 'affordability' are looking through the wrong end of a telescope.

Trying to have it all- cheap housing, beautiful scenery, great weather year round, every modern convenience we've all grown accustomed to being at hand, all of our necessities easy and cheap and plentiful, and the rest of it, is only a wishful dream. Just as it aways has been.

Life is always a trade-off in many ways. A person has to be very wealthy, extremely wealthy, to have the entire enchilada.
Even then, preoccupation with wealth will limit almost everyone's view. Possessing money never comes with instructions on how best its put to use.

That's the way it's always been, throughout the history of humankind. The only thing that's truly affordable are the things that lift the human spirit, and those things have always been abundant and free for the taking. They're all still around us all, every day, and always close at hand. All anyone has to do is go look for them.

Using the correct end of a telescope to help the view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho