Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM

207 posts, read 443,965 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much to all of you for your help! We will continue our research into the areas you guys mentioned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,451,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Thank you so much to all of you for your help! We will continue our research into the areas you guys mentioned.

Movingagain,

I wish you the best of luck in your decision and move. Of all the previous posts one of mine was direct asking you to answer questions for yourself. I hope you have as I actually want you to be happy where your family decides to move.

I've lived places during challenging times of my life and wondered why anyone would want to live in those cities. I've lived in other places and have been happy with less of what I thought I needed. Sometimes we truly don't have control over all factors involving our living situations- such as illness, divorce, jobs and death among other situations. Sometimes we have to make the best choices we can, given all the factors. At other times we might be able to have total or a greater amount of control over where we move to, be it the same city or a move thousands of miles away.

While we talk about stores, bandwidth, jobs, other amenities and natural wonders of an area etc., we don't always consider how we feel. Every location has something positive or others wouldn't live there. Part of moving means considering IF or how much we invest ourselves in a new location. Are we open to making friends and having neighbors different than ourselves? How can we be happy if this is a move we don't want to make but must? Or do we remain silent drawing an X through another day on the calendar until something different changes?

Whatever the circumstances creating the opportunity for anyone to move, I believe it's absolutely essential to be honest with oneself about the most difficult parts of the move and how each person will deal with those issues.

I offer this to advice to anyone who can use it.

Happy packing and safe travels when you leave the Memphis Humidity, movingagain.

MSR

Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Default Idaho, hands down

I've been looking at both Wyoming and Idaho for quite some time, but finally have settled on Idaho as the better spot for a retiree. And yes, a lot of it has to do with costs, but not all.

We have been regular visitors to Wyoming for years and have been to all four corners, enjoyed it's beauty and generally it's people as well. But it is a state that is very spread out. I read on one thread over there of a person who had to travel 60 miles to see their dentist. And that is not unusual. Factor in the inconvenience as well as the cost and---you get the picture.

I have not had as much experience with Idaho. The wife and I just returned from an almost two week trip to Southern Idaho. Previous to that I had spent one night in Pocatello, but liked it enough to want to go back and look around. Throughout our entire visit we were unable to find a curmudgeonly Idahoan. I thought for a moment we had one at the East Idaho State Fair, when my wife spoke to an older lady, asking her about her T-shirt which indicated she was a hospital employee. The woman initially said, "That was a long time ago," and moved off. Then she came back and struck up a conversation with my wife (a hospital employee herself), and proved to be a charming and friendly EX-hospital employee!

We again and again struck up conversations with folks out of the blue asking them what they liked about the state, about whatever city we were in, and not once were we ignored or dismissed with a brusque answer. In fact, people were very forthcoming. One gentleman at the state fair, who said he lived outside of Pocatello, suggested we would like Idaho Falls better because, in his opinion, Pocatello has too many "union" people living in it!! But he was quite high on Idaho as a whole. In general there seems to be a cohesiveness among the people living there.

As Juneau has mentioned, housing costs are far lower than in Wyoming. And just a small aside, I stopped in at my favorite sub shop, Jimmy John, to discover that my favorite sandwich, a number nine, cost only $6.10 in Twin Falls, and runs $7.95 in Dallas. That's a big difference.

The great thing about SE Idaho is that you would be able to find acreage, have a couple of medium sized cities to visit, and still be close enough to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons to take overnighters there, maybe even day trips.

Finally, look at the threads on CD in both states. Rarely do I see negative comments by natives on either one. But on the Idaho threads there are a great deal more positive comments about living there. On the Wyoming thread there is much more defensiveness regarding the topic of, "Don't move here and expect to change us." I've seen a little of that on Idaho's threads, but I get the sense that the people in Idaho pretty much know who they are and aren't worried about outsiders changing them. It appears they have confidence that it is THEY who will be changing you--and they are going to do that with their positive ideas and influence---in effect win you over.

They certainly did that with us on our most recent trip.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Finally, look at the threads on CD in both states. Rarely do I see negative comments by natives on either one. But on the Idaho threads there are a great deal more positive comments about living there. On the Wyoming thread there is much more defensiveness regarding the topic of, "Don't move here and expect to change us." I've seen a little of that on Idaho's threads, but I get the sense that the people in Idaho pretty much know who they are and aren't worried about outsiders changing them. It appears they have confidence that it is THEY who will be changing you--and they are going to do that with their positive ideas and influence---in effect win you over.

Spot on, WD. And best of luck with your Idaho plans!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I've been looking at both Wyoming and Idaho for quite some time, but finally have settled on Idaho as the better spot for a retiree. And yes, a lot of it has to do with costs, but not all.

We have been regular visitors to Wyoming for years and have been to all four corners, enjoyed it's beauty and generally it's people as well. But it is a state that is very spread out. I read on one thread over there of a person who had to travel 60 miles to see their dentist. And that is not unusual. Factor in the inconvenience as well as the cost and---you get the picture.

I have not had as much experience with Idaho. The wife and I just returned from an almost two week trip to Southern Idaho. Previous to that I had spent one night in Pocatello, but liked it enough to want to go back and look around. Throughout our entire visit we were unable to find a curmudgeonly Idahoan. I thought for a moment we had one at the East Idaho State Fair, when my wife spoke to an older lady, asking her about her T-shirt which indicated she was a hospital employee. The woman initially said, "That was a long time ago," and moved off. Then she came back and struck up a conversation with my wife (a hospital employee herself), and proved to be a charming and friendly EX-hospital employee!

We again and again struck up conversations with folks out of the blue asking them what they liked about the state, about whatever city we were in, and not once were we ignored or dismissed with a brusque answer. In fact, people were very forthcoming. One gentleman at the state fair, who said he lived outside of Pocatello, suggested we would like Idaho Falls better because, in his opinion, Pocatello has too many "union" people living in it!! But he was quite high on Idaho as a whole. In general there seems to be a cohesiveness among the people living there.

As Juneau has mentioned, housing costs are far lower than in Wyoming. And just a small aside, I stopped in at my favorite sub shop, Jimmy John, to discover that my favorite sandwich, a number nine, cost only $6.10 in Twin Falls, and runs $7.95 in Dallas. That's a big difference.

The great thing about SE Idaho is that you would be able to find acreage, have a couple of medium sized cities to visit, and still be close enough to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons to take overnighters there, maybe even day trips.

Well Cleosmom and I did get you to reconsider your one reservation . Does that mean we changed you, Warden? LOL

About the fair and one person with a hospital T shirt--don't take the initial reaction personally. That town just had the hospital administrator be convicted of one of several issues. I believe at the time of the fair arrest warrants were issued for two employees from IT who wire-taped a physician's office phones. I honestly suspect that person was relieved you are in Dallas and weren't going to ask more. Employees there are under tremendous stress currently.

I'll send you a PM sometime with some links.

This thread needs to stay focused on everything involved with a move, including if knowing somewhere feels right in the person's gut.

MSR

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Movingagain,

You may be surprised how many people live in eastern ID who have lived in Memphis. I can't speak about WY because I don't know. How fortunate you were able to. connect with juneaubound who has addressed many of the same issues in almost the same time frame.

I mean this with all due respect to you, your family and extended family I have to ask you these questions and ask you to be emotionally honest with yourself. You don't owe me or any other person answers to these questions and certainly not publically. I have no idea how your relationship is with your extended family, who are LDS. Do they live in the area? Are you in a good or less than good situation with them? Do you hope to see more of them?

Are you concerned about your LDS family respecting your Christian lives and not trying to convert you to becoming LDS? Or is it your new neighbors - people you've not met who may be Christian, Jewish, Atheists, LDS or others who couldn't care less about religion?

I think you absolutely have to know those answers about your family so feedback from strangers doesn't influence you more than what you know or are concerned about regarding family and religion.

Calvary Baptist Church, a large church thriving in Idaho Falls ,broadcasts local Sunday morning services right before the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is broadcast, in eastern ID and western WY, as it is broadcast in many other states.

I'd encourage you to be absolutely certain of those answers for your family before you ask additional questions about LDS as you have a unique situation in your family.

I think there is a greater probability in any small town, USA a greater concentration of X exists. X could be a religious denomination, mining families (as an example- no offense intended who take that as an implied negative or positive statement) or those who grow their own gardens or hunt for family food. There are ways to peacefully co-exist, but that includes the attitude you bring to the table.

Arco often has to rely upon the school gym or LDS church for larger community events. There aren't other buildings large enough to accommodate those who wish to attend.
Should the LDS church not allow non-members to attend funerals for a non-LDS physician or have a community dinner etc.?

Please be honest with yourself and other adults involved with your decision. If one isn't at peace with oneself, a new home won't be found. Maybe a new location with a house with room for a garden, but not a new home.

Good luck in addressing these questions which I personally believe are as important as bandwidth, speed and cost for those who support their families via work they do via the internet.

MSR

Hi Mtn. States Resident!
Thank you for your very thoughtful and kind comments here. I agree about being honest with yourself. To answer a couple of your questions, and I don't mind - my entire family is not LDS, but some of the most active ones have been very very cruel to me at times although I still try to maintain a relationship with all but 2 of them (who are extremely hateful to me and I would not trust around my family since they have called me horrible things for not being LDS as I was raised). I have other family members (extended) who are LDS and treat me with love and respect - and I do the same with them, so I know it's not entirely a difference in religion. I have nothing against LDS, I don't hate them or anything, but I am worried about them judging me or not allowing our kids to participate in things. I have friends of all backgrounds and religions (or no religion even), and I try to get along with everyone. I will stop with the religion talk here so as not to offend anyone...and I won't go into more details of my family here but let's just say it is a huge concern for me. I agree also with what you say about small towns - I think they are more prone to have more numbers of 'X' in any small town.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Movingagain,

I wish you the best of luck in your decision and move. Of all the previous posts one of mine was direct asking you to answer questions for yourself. I hope you have as I actually want you to be happy where your family decides to move.

I've lived places during challenging times of my life and wondered why anyone would want to live in those cities. I've lived in other places and have been happy with less of what I thought I needed. Sometimes we truly don't have control over all factors involving our living situations- such as illness, divorce, jobs and death among other situations. Sometimes we have to make the best choices we can, given all the factors. At other times we might be able to have total or a greater amount of control over where we move to, be it the same city or a move thousands of miles away.

While we talk about stores, bandwidth, jobs, other amenities and natural wonders of an area etc., we don't always consider how we feel. Every location has something positive or others wouldn't live there. Part of moving means considering IF or how much we invest ourselves in a new location. Are we open to making friends and having neighbors different than ourselves? How can we be happy if this is a move we don't want to make but must? Or do we remain silent drawing an X through another day on the calendar until something different changes?

Whatever the circumstances creating the opportunity for anyone to move, I believe it's absolutely essential to be honest with oneself about the most difficult parts of the move and how each person will deal with those issues.

I offer this to advice to anyone who can use it.

Happy packing and safe travels when you leave the Memphis Humidity, movingagain.

MSR

Hi MSR,
Thank you again for your thoughtful responses here. I agree that our attitudes play a part, and that we must be honest with ourselves. Thank you

Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You need to read some s

Well, about humidity: that is a relative matter. Compared to places in SE Idaho, NID is more humid, but compared to Tennessee, it is popcorn dry! I'm talking about summers, but so were you; I think. Every summer when we arrive "home" in NID from SoCal we get a case of dry nose and nosebleed for the first 3-4 days because of the dry air. Sometimes we've had a series of days (like this summer) with higher humidity, but that's not the norm (and again, I don't know all the possible climate fluctuations yet because I'm not a permanent NID'er like Brokencrayola). You need to read some statistics and decide for yourself--but I can assure you that the TN heat & humidity is vastly different from NID!

So why Bonner's Ferry? You'll probably be able to find 10-20 acres with a good well. If you want to cut wood from your own property it's easy to find a wooded piece of property. Bonners is definitely a conservative corner of NID. And Sandpoint is 30 minutes away. But the growing season is short, and a greenhouse would be a must.

Then there are the bugs. Yes, NID has bugs, but I don't know of a place that doesn't have some. And in NID the little pests freeze to death in winter--here in SoCal they enjoy life all year! What kind of bugs are you particularly concerned about? We have a whole thread about yellowjackets, and you can find more threads if you do a search.

Since your journey north ended at Lewiston, you have not yet seen any of the beauty of the mountains of North Idaho. That's what attracts most of us to the area. Take a look at our picture thread!
Thanks Clark Fork Fantast! I will definitely check out those areas. When we were in Lewiston we were planning to drive further up to check them out, but unfortunately time didn't allow it.

Yellowjackets? I hate the things! Of course I am not fond of any chasing stinging/biting bugs...especially those darn deerflies here in MO! Those things are just evil...

I will also have to check out the elevation of N. ID and the temperature differences. Boise was a little too 'desert' for us so maybe N. ID might be an option (or SE ID).

Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:

This thread needs to stay focused on everything involved with a move, including if knowing somewhere feels right in the person's gut.

MSR
Yes, I totally agree that one needs to know if somewhere feels right in the person's gut. I guess I wish I had a comparison of the 'culture' of people between WY and ID - I mean, are they different at all as a group or just a mix like one could say everywhere is? I am not looking for stereotypes necessarily, but trying to group things in my mind to decide what fits us best.

For example, I know that many people in CO I have met (not all of course) are very much into natural health and also tend to be very outdoorsy. People in the South have a reputation for 'hospitality'. Has anyone noticed any major differences between ID or WY other than what what said earlier about the WY thread having more 'don't move here and try to change us' comments? Is it mostly more of a geography difference or a financial difference and not really people? Perhaps answers not so easy to get...but I know there are stats on political leanings and such.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hi Mtn. States Resident!
Thank you for your very thoughtful and kind comments here. I agree about being honest with yourself. To answer a couple of your questions, and I don't mind - my entire family is not LDS, but some of the most active ones have been very very cruel to me at times although I still try to maintain a relationship with all but 2 of them (who are extremely hateful to me and I would not trust around my family since they have called me horrible things for not being LDS as I was raised). I have other family members (extended) who are LDS and treat me with love and respect - and I do the same with them, so I know it's not entirely a difference in religion. I have nothing against LDS, I don't hate them or anything, but I am worried about them judging me or not allowing our kids to participate in things. I have friends of all backgrounds and religions (or no religion even), and I try to get along with everyone. I will stop with the religion talk here so as not to offend anyone...and I won't go into more details of my family here but let's just say it is a huge concern for me. I agree also with what you say about small towns - I think they are more prone to have more numbers of 'X' in any small town.
Movingagain,

I'm glad you can be emotionally honest with yourself. I'm sorry those memories are so painful. Happy you have some relatives that treat you well.

I've read your post twice and hopefully I understand what you wrote. Since you have an extended family who are both LDS and non-LDS, and it appears you have some relatives that are extreme in their views, could any stranger or new neighbor possibly say or do anything more hurtful to you or your family than some of your relatives already have?

I want you to be happy and feel at home wherever you live. I don't know the distance of your relatives and whether you would feel comfortable until you were x miles away from those who treated you poorly in your own family.

From my observations of what you've written, the distance you need from those who are not making your life better MUST be a factor of where you live. I don't know that your true concern is about LDS in WY and ID vs. your family. What do you think?

You're welcome for anything I've written that helps.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho