Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there prejudice in Idaho?
100% 1 5.56%
80% 5 27.78%
50% 3 16.67%
25% 3 16.67%
10% 5 27.78%
none 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,445 times

Advertisements

Twinkie1cat,
I believe most of us sit over here in Idaho and figure you don't even care to get up and offer to clean up your own city. Everyone there is looking for someone else to do the work and asking tax payers to pay for what some of you didn't even own in the first place.
At least you were one of the smart ones taking things you needed with you its not like there was no WARNING that a storm was coming. Some left without ID,diapers for their children, just a few things to get by and get the hell out of town. I understand some people didn't have a way out but, you had 5 days to prepare and some chose to do NOTHING!!! Then you voted in the same Mayor that did nothing in the first place to get you taken care of.

The state of Idaho is very independent people and we take care of
ourselves and believe me if disaster hits I don't believe we will be whining to the east coast to help us. Our communities and the people know most of the time its get it done yourself and pick yourself up and keep going. I just can't see any town in Idaho waiting for the government or outsiders to be here and help us clean up. Believe me we would welcome the help but, would be trying to get something done before help got here.

Not to mention the fact that people were given money and housing and chose to buy $2,000.00 purses,sex changes,vacations etc. the housing some were given wasn't good enough and now that is damaged due to just sitting around. People had 6 months of free living TAXPAYERS paying this and when given notice that was going too end they were outraged what have they been doing for 6 months. The American people took from their own pockets to give money and this is how it was handled by so called Survivors. Yes, you were survivors now show the people of America just how strong you are and thats not by coming into towns and expecting its all about you.
It seems your people want the finest the best and want it for FREE. If your town was such a great place to live pull together and rebuild we shouldn't have to pay for people who never owned a home or had a job. If my town was burnt to the ground then I would have to move to the next town and make a living not just sitting on a lost city asking everyone else to get me out.

Don't get me wrong we do feel for your situation but, I believe we see more people sitting complaining rather then finding a solution. Wish the best to you and your family remember only the strong survive.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,445 times
Sorry the title should have been Survivors or Victims

Old 01-15-2007, 04:49 AM

7 posts, read 23,879 times
Do you know if there is International united pentecostal church(apostolic) in Boise area?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM

33 posts, read 213,235 times
Personally, I think there is about 25% prejudice and discrimination in any state. Trying to fix a firm percentage is really hard as ti fluctuates from city to city within a state and from person to person within each city. I figure that about 25% of the people in any city more or less is about right.

Jet

Interesting...I would say, rather than just the Navahos, all Native Americans migrated over the ice bridge from Asia/Russia including our northern friends, the Eskimos (or do they have a PC-title now also). Then filtered throughout the entire entire continent. If the Navahos wound up further south and migrated from Asia, then all the Native Americans had to have as well through all the provinces and states. What do you think?

Last edited by Marka; 01-17-2007 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 01-15-2007, 02:40 PM

33 posts, read 213,235 times
I don't think when I lived in Seattle that there was that much racism, and I know for a fact that there was a lot less sexism there. That's one of the reasons why I moved away from Wisconsin--too much sexism. Women couldn't work as a chef, women couldn't work in a certain field becasue it's a man's field, etc., etc. It hasn't changed all that much since I left 30+ years ago and the area I grew up in is still way behind...Elvis is still alive and kicking according to a lot of them. Scary stuff, huh...

Anyway, I don't think that there is more racism other than the 25% more of less I mentioned for the survey thingy. Some areas will have more racism based on the population that's in that location. It's just like the fact that there is more discrimination against gay and lesbians than against any race, per se.

I personally taught my daughter that all people bleed red blood on our planet, we have two eyes, one nose, two ears, one month, two arms, two legs or are disabled and don't have one of more of those items...but the common factor is this: we all bleed red blood on our planet.

I also told her that she had to find out what a person is like to either love ot hate them, and that not all people are good. The only way to tell is to get to know them. She's had friends of all races and ethnicities, a deaf friend, blind friends and friends who've are in wheel chairs. All in all, she's a really good 22 yo.

I'd have to say that she is not a racist, sexist, or any bad "ist" that I know of and I'm very proud of her.

Jet

Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 PM

7 posts, read 27,516 times
You guys will be fine here. I'm also from CA, and I'm of Middle Eastern background and I've had no problem here. In fact, people here are 10 times nicer than in the Bay Area. Sure there are racists everywhere, but there are also a lot of curious people that like multi-culturalism in Boise. There are a few arab restaurants (Aladdin especially good) and a couple hookah lounges. There are belly dance groups and festivals that promote culture.

There's no doubt the vast majority of folks here are white, but the whole race thing is more in your head, and it will only affect you if you let it.

Having said all that, I'm suprised to hear you've never experienced racism in CA. The few months following 9/11, it doesn't matter where you were, there was definitely an anti anything-middle-eastern looking overtone in the streets. Also, if you where a hijab, you should probably expect some dirty looks or rudeness no matter where you are in the US (except maybe Dearborn MI), that's just the fact at this time.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM

21 posts, read 55,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Twinkie1cat,
I believe most of us sit over here in Idaho and figure you don't even care to get up and offer to clean up your own city. Everyone there is looking for someone else to do the work and asking tax payers to pay for what some of you didn't even own in the first place.
At least you were one of the smart ones taking things you needed with you its not like there was no WARNING that a storm was coming. Some left without ID,diapers for their children, just a few things to get by and get the hell out of town. I understand some people didn't have a way out but, you had 5 days to prepare and some chose to do NOTHING!!! Then you voted in the same Mayor that did nothing in the first place to get you taken care of.

The state of Idaho is very independent people and we take care of
ourselves and believe me if disaster hits I don't believe we will be whining to the east coast to help us. Our communities and the people know most of the time its get it done yourself and pick yourself up and keep going. I just can't see any town in Idaho waiting for the government or outsiders to be here and help us clean up. Believe me we would welcome the help but, would be trying to get something done before help got here.

Not to mention the fact that people were given money and housing and chose to buy $2,000.00 purses,sex changes,vacations etc. the housing some were given wasn't good enough and now that is damaged due to just sitting around. People had 6 months of free living TAXPAYERS paying this and when given notice that was going too end they were outraged what have they been doing for 6 months. The American people took from their own pockets to give money and this is how it was handled by so called Survivors. Yes, you were survivors now show the people of America just how strong you are and thats not by coming into towns and expecting its all about you.
It seems your people want the finest the best and want it for FREE. If your town was such a great place to live pull together and rebuild we shouldn't have to pay for people who never owned a home or had a job. If my town was burnt to the ground then I would have to move to the next town and make a living not just sitting on a lost city asking everyone else to get me out.

Don't get me wrong we do feel for your situation but, I believe we see more people sitting complaining rather then finding a solution. Wish the best to you and your family remember only the strong survive.
Well spoken. I agree 110%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho