Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times

Advertisements

We're now looking to replace our very old commuter car, and we've decided to get the "perfect vehicle" for Idaho dirt/gravel roads + roadtrips. Well, as close to perfect as we can afford... We have a Honda CRV which has faithfully taken us back and forth to NID for five years, and that will now become our local commuter car; for our NID life we need something more rugged. But we're on a budget, and we'll have to look for something used, with low mileage. Down here in SoCal we probably won't have any problem finding what we're looking for, in rust-free shape--we have several months to find the right vehicle, and we can research the whole area through Autotrader.

We need an SUV-type vehicle that's bigger than the CRV, but smaller than the Yukon. Does it have to have 4wd? MPG had better be decent! We need room inside for dog/s and tons of baggage . Comfortable seating for 4, at least, so we need a nice big back seat. I like the Explorer, and it has really high consumer ratings, but how is it on ID roads?

So what do you drive, and what would you like to drive if you were shopping for an SUV? Any particular year, make + model? We don't want a truck at this point, because we're going to have to use it as a second car locally, too.

I love shopping for cars! I hate buying them, but I love shopping for them! All possibilites are open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
We love the new Subaru Outback that we bought a year ago. I never put studs on it (just All-seasons) and it has handled the snow and ice beautifully. We also have two pick-ups which are necessary because of our business and our livestock. We also had a Suburban and a Jeep Wrangler. Daughter drives a Cherokee.
The down side to the SUV's and trucks is that you have to drive a lot here to go anywhere when you live way out and gas is really expensive.
Why will you need something more rugged than a CRV?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
I'll 2nd Misty on the Outback. Ours did great in all conditions. Loved it. But it is smaller than a CRV. Our CRV has handled Idaho weather nicely for several years now. Snow, ice, fording small streams-it has done fine with all.

Edited to add: We'll probably buy another CR-V when the time comes. Been very pleased. Ours holds a family of four plus two dogs (luggage goes on the roof to do this). We also drive an F150 4x4 in the winter. Mileage is not so good, but it gets me where I need to go. In the summer the classic Chevy Monte Carlo comes out to play!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,578 times
Suburu or Cherokee or a nice pickup truck.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:16 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
CFF, how new a vehicle are you looking for? My wife has an '07 Outback, it's been a good rig, but I find it to be a very uncomfortable vehicle. Looks big on the outside, but kind of cramped inside. Akward to get in and out of, the doors are "short" and the roof extends down lower than most cars, I have to duck to crawl inside, pretty badly. Might not be a problem for shorter people.

The Explorer is a nice looking and comfortable rig, but do some digging. I know people that had lots of problems, but that was with earlier ones, new ones are probably great. The Chevy Trailblazer family also seems nice, though I haven't owned one. Personally, I like vehicles on truck frames, rather than unibody vehicles, I think they hold up better over rougher roads. Lots of people prefer the opposite.

The other one that looks interesting to me is the Ford Edge. It's supposed to be one of the better vehicles in it's class for mileage, but I have absolutely no experience with one.

Good luck!

Now we need to get you guys on motorcycles...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks for input! I'm already getting a good sense of which direction we need to go. Misty and Keim, we can't do the Outback because the CRV is really too small for roadtrips for us, even with a baggage pod on the roof...but I love driving the CRV, and I'll keep it for myself.

Also, we'll want to be able to drive on dirt roads that are less well maintained than our own--and the CRV doesn't seem too happy on washboard gravel. If it didn't have to do well on ID roads in all kinds of weather we'd get a van like the Honda Odyssey! I like Hondas, and we've looked at their Pilot, but I have no idea if it is "Idaho-worthy"! Toyman, '07-'08 vehicles with low mileage would be okay. I've also heard good things about the Trailblazer--and I haven't even heard of the Edge. So, more homework!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,653 times
Well we have a Jeep Wrangler and Tahoe so small and big but no in between. Both do very well up here but we are at 17-20MPG on a good day.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,565 times
I drive my 88 honda civic into the woods all the time. It;s really all about how you drive... Buy a tahoe or h2 or h3. They are all the rage around here. And they seem to get everywhere they need to go...

Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
The Perfect Idaho Vehicle?

would use potato alcohol as fuel.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 PM

I was just looking at the Tahoe online. Very tempting, but probably too big. According to online reviews the Explorer 2011 is apparently the best mid-size SUV the world has ever seen , but fat chance of finding one, used and affordable! We'll include it in our search, anyway , and also the Jeep Patriot and Cherokee, the Ford Edge, and the Subaru Forester, for now. Been researching cars online for hours. Turns out the Trailblazer was discontinued in 2009 because of poor reviews and performance! The Pilot got horrible reviews, too.

Thanks so much, everybody. Any more favorites, just add them to the list!

PS I'd only feed my SUV Idaho tater juice if it's been really good! But maybe that wasn't the kind of potato alcohol you meant, Dusty?

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 02-18-2011 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho