Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times

Advertisements

Norcalmom101,

Certain not having been stalked, and only dealing with "our side" of the issue where in most ways law enforcement is very restricted by law and nearly powerless to help at times, I cannot relate but I can empathize and understand the frustration that victims deal with in this regard.

Every cop knows that a restraining order is only a piece of paper and due to our court system being so messed up, it's not much help beyond giving the cops some standing to remove a person. It's my view that you must move somewhere that you are most able to defend yourself against violent attack, be able to carry a weapon to level the field of battle (a gun beats muscle), etc. But since I'm not in your shoes...I cannot truly related...you are right....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,526,951 times
Thank you, Sage.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,341 times
I think I am missing something, Norcal...I was referring to the gun issue when I said paople outside of law enforcement could not understand the issue... meaning many people want guns controlled (eliminated) completely, while not really understanding that criminals will find them and use them regardless. I'm sorry if I didn't say it as I was thinking it..

Actually, I have been stalked and it is extremely frightening, so I can relate to that and I am so very sorry you had to go through that kind of emotional trauma. I have also been assaulted at night in the parking lot of a large mall, but guess what? I had a gun in my purse. He left quickly.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,526,951 times
No, Esselcue, I just disagree strongly that "people outside of law enforcement could not understand the issue." I do understand that many people have a kneejerk reaction of wanting guns eliminated, but hey, I feel that way about many people JK!!!

I agree that there are many many people who don't understand the issue, many of whom are outside of law enforcement, and some of whom are in law enforcement, and my point was simply that generalization leads to error, and error can lead to injury or death, so is something to be avoided.

I grew up in an urban ghetto, so from my experience, restricting guns, and their purchase and use, only raises street value.

In terms of limiting injury and death caused by guns, restricting the use of firearms while allowing continued manufacture makes no sense at all except from the standpoint of politicians like Diane Feinstein, who I recall saying, in the course of her anti-gun crusade in SF, to gun owners within her jurisdiction, "go sell them in Oakland." Thanks, Di.

In other words, restricting the sale and ownership of guns is a tool used by politicians to play to their constituencies without really addressing the underlying problematic issues, IMHO.

At this point in this thread, my questions are more practical in nature, like, if I am in a similar situation as you found yourself in, and am in the state of Idaho, will I be able to shoot the assailant? (in the knee, of course). How do the laws and standards differ from California in terms of the use of a firearm on my own property, what is the age at which one may own a firearm, may any person lawfully purchase, whether new or used, any firearm, and keep said arm in their residence? When one carries an unconcealed weapon, may it be loaded? Where does a novice (and kids) take classes in gun safety and use? What are the best measures to prevent an incident such as the home invasion in IF the other day, where the firearms become enticement to break and enter? Can an assailant be shot once stepped onto property or must there be forced entry into a dwelling? These types of questions are much more important to me than any moralistic questions about the shoulds or shouldn'ts of gun control.

As for the issue of stalking, feel free to DM me, Esselcue, if you ever want to talk about it, it is such an isolating crime, and so misunderstood, IN GENERAL ; ).

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
You will find that in Idaho the law is much more on your side when you are in reasonable fear for your safety, versus California where the assailant practically must have their hands clamped around your throat before you can use deadly force.

HOWEVER, to harken back to my patrol experience....if there is a striking lack of paperwork (those flimsy protective/restraining orders, etc) and you just cap your ex-husband inside your home, it's pretty tough to explain...

I really feel you could be more "unshackled" to protect yourself here in Idaho provided there is a clear understanding that you're having issues. And the local law enforcement is small enough to actually remember you and your issue should it arise in a violent way in the future.

For gun safety, I'd ask at the Sheriff's office in town...

Old 05-20-2008, 06:12 PM

28 posts, read 143,311 times
Default liking Idaho gun laws

I am a law abiding citizen. I believe in the 2nd amendment of the United States Consititution...

If everyone (that's not crazy or a crook) is educated on fire arm safety we all would be much safer...and we would be better able to protect ourselves and families...

I realize this is only my opinion... as everyone else is entitled to their's...

I truly believe our forefathers had fore sight when they wrote the U.S. Constitution..

We are moving from the desert to a more beautiful area.. Some where in N. Idaho... hopefully in the next year...

Federal laws do over ride state laws... state laws can go stricter, but not less.

Law enforcement usually is good...just not always able to get to out of the way places quickly... so it's a defend your self and your family...

I am not trying to change minds I know that won't happen..

I am glad to be an AMERICAN CITIZEN WITH PRIVILEGE TO STATE MY OPINION. OUR MEN & WOMEN HAVE FOUGHT TO GIVE US THESE PRIVILEGES
AND TO ALL OUR MILITARY PEOPLE --- I THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE ---

Take Care

may you all be safe

Dee

Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 PM

20 posts, read 93,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
At this point in this thread, my questions are more practical in nature, like, if I am in a similar situation as you found yourself in, and am in the state of Idaho, will I be able to shoot the assailant? (in the knee, of course). How do the laws and standards differ from California in terms of the use of a firearm on my own property, what is the age at which one may own a firearm, may any person lawfully purchase, whether new or used, any firearm, and keep said arm in their residence? When one carries an unconcealed weapon, may it be loaded? Where does a novice (and kids) take classes in gun safety and use? What are the best measures to prevent an incident such as the home invasion in IF the other day, where the firearms become enticement to break and enter? Can an assailant be shot once stepped onto property or must there be forced entry into a dwelling? These types of questions are much more important to me than any moralistic questions about the shoulds or shouldn'ts of gun control.
If you are threatened in your home the "Castle Doctrine" allows you to use deadly force to protect yourself from harm. This is used in many states.

In Idaho the minimum age for handgun ownership is 21. For rifles and shotguns it's 18 or with parental permission.

Idaho is an open carry state which means you can carry a loaded or unloaded gun in FULL view in most public places except schools, courthouses, etc. This would probably upset many citizens and cause a few 911 calls by those unfamiliar with the laws so I'm not sure it's a good idea. You can carry any gun in a vehicle as long as it's plainly visible, such as in a gun rack or on the dashboard. Otherwise it's considered concealed. Technically if you have an unloaded gun in the car with the ammo in the trunk (not readily accessible) it's legal. Get a concealed weapon permit so you don't have to worry about it.

For gun safety and training contact your local Fish and Game department or NRA.

Another option you may consider is high potency bear spray (which is also illegal in California). This stuff will take down any size attacker and you won't have to worry about accidentally killing someone. I always make sure my daughter has a few cans on hand such as in her purse, keyring, nightstand, car, etc. Some people THINK they can shoot if the need arises but many really aren't when it comes down to it. If you aren't absolutely sure you are willing to kill whoever you point a gun at ("knee shooting" can be fatal) then you need other options. Especially if kids are involved.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,101 times
SergeantL,

I think I love you. I couldn't have said it better myself. I am originally from the east coast but never felt safer than the day we plopped down on our little share of heaven, guns, small kids and all! I bought my husband his first revolver at a yard sale, a Dan Wesson, .357....what a jewel! This Christmas, my Marine son bought his mother a beautiful Bersa .380 along with three boxes of ammo. Makes a mother proud.....

Reikimom

Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,442,187 times
I have to admit I am really digging hearing from the ladies about gun control and thier objections to restricting our god given rights... Bravo ladies!!! Its been far too long a "Mens" issue for the most part.. This is no time to relax your beliefs also. To hear Hillery tell it, all the problems in Mehico are because of OUR firearms going over there.. Uh yeah Im sure they couldnt find weapons ANYWHERE else, and Im sure the logical solution is to ban our firearms INSTEAD of locking down the border.. Makes perfect sense right??

BTW great job on the Dan Wesson! Thats a very nice wheel gun for sure!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,385,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
FYI, the number of guns has no bearing on gun violence. When I was a cop in LA, most households that owned guns had 1 or 2. Up here (at least in the Panhandle), most people we know have a LOT of guns. I have about 17 or so, and I think in my circle of friends I'm on the low side...
Of course, maybe gun violence is low in Sandpoint cuz it's full of retired LA cops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho