Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times

Advertisements

I at least hope there is some screening for whether people are violent or on parole. If there is no regulation in Idaho does that mean criminals from other states can come to Idaho, stock up on unregistered guns, and go back and sell them?

I am moving to Idaho to get away from a criminal, so while I like the idea of the right to bear arms being enjoyed, I don't like the idea of the criminal being able to show up, buy a gun, and use it. But I do like the idea of being able to defend myself if this happens, it just opens up a whole world I have never ever dealt with, so now I have that much more to learn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Where would kids take a gun safety course?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I at least hope there is some screening for whether people are violent or on parole. If there is no regulation in Idaho does that mean criminals from other states can come to Idaho, stock up on unregistered guns, and go back and sell them?

I am moving to Idaho to get away from a criminal, so while I like the idea of the right to bear arms being enjoyed, I don't like the idea of the criminal being able to show up, buy a gun, and use it. But I do like the idea of being able to defend myself if this happens, it just opens up a whole world I have never ever dealt with, so now I have that much more to learn!
Norcalmom,

You're thinking like a law-abiding citizen....not a criminal. Why drive 1500 miles round trip when you can buy guns from other criminals or get them from mexican drug runners?

See....the point you're making is correct, but I think what you're missing is that in Idaho, EVERYONE can buy guns easily, so everyone has guns for the most part (at least in NID), and criminals are obviously fully aware of this fact. A more armed citizenry means LESS crime, not more crime. In L.A., County where I was a cop, the population was generally unarmed, and whoever had the guns ruled. Up here, not only can you carry openly (few do though) but it's quick and easy to get a concealed carry permit. Several of my friends (who aren't retired cops) carry concealed weapons and the expectation here is that if a violent felony is being committed, I don't think any of us (cops or otherwise) would hesitate to step in to aid our fellow townspeople. I don't mean we'd step in with a gun and shoot someone who's in a fist fight. What I mean is that if we were in a store and at the front counter some idiot was waving a gun at the clerk...he's a dead man...simple as that. It's easy to articulate a clear and present danger that required deadly force as a citizen.

My general point is that while your general observation is correct, in practice it does not happen, since criminals are lazy and will take the easiest route to arming themselves, and the penalties here in Idaho are 5x worse than in California. When I read our paper of some of the sentences handed down, trust me...up here you commit a serious crime and you go away for a long time...they don't mess around. Stuff that would have gotten a 12-18 months sentence in CA (or even probation)...up here it's 3-5 years....no playing around...so crime DOES happen here, but recidivism is generally only for lesser offenses here since for high grade felonies they're removed from society for much longer.

Does that help?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Sage of Sagle, it does help and also doesn't. My situation involves dv and pertains to a perp with a history of self harm as well as harming others, and all the neighbors in the world being armed won't help me if I come home and he is in my house, esp. if I'm armed for the occasion but he's already helped himself so to speak. So I will have to manage my own situation my way, and will still feel better off and safer for being in a place where I have a right to bear arms and am able to exercise that right. Most importantly, I have now learned that me and my kids will need to take gun safety courses and go learn to shoot so that we will competant should we need to be. Thank you!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
Quote:
No, there is a background check and dealers can only sell to someone with proof of Idaho residency, like a drivers license.

Funny thing though, for a background check that takes ten days for the state of California to do, Idaho has figured out how to do it in about 10-15 minutes!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:01 AM

Could be the difference between a county or state check and a DOJ nationwide check, no?

Old 05-18-2008, 12:27 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
The check applies to NEW gun purchases. Private sales do not require anything. But again...I honestly don't see this as being the crux of the matter here...a person can ALWAYS get a gun if they truly want one...I've never seen it stop anyone who seriously had the intent...

Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
The issue of "gun control" really only applies to law-abiding citizens. Criminals do not care. I'm not sure it's possible for someone who has not worked in law enforcement to really understand the issue. You are completely correct, Sage, in that a law-abiding citizen cannot possibly understand "criminal intent" (and that is a good thing because we NEED law-abiding citizens!). I am a 61 year old woman with many years spent in various areas of law enforcement, I still carry a gun, and one of the reasons I plan to retire to NID is the knowledge that I can hopefully remain a non-victim.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
Quote:
Could be the difference between a county or state check and a DOJ nationwide check, no?
No, it really boils down to California discouraging gun sales. They think the 10-day waiting period will give someone time to "cool-off" before they buy a gun to shoot someone. I guess it just proves that even though politicians don't think like most of us most of the time they also don't think like criminals all of the time either!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Esselcue, I would have to disagree. As someone who has never been in law enforcement, but who has been a victim of stalking, I would say there are nuances of this issue that the average person in law enforcement may well not understand.

I'm sure if we are only speaking in generalizations you may be right, but IMHO generalizations lend themselves to error, which can lead to injury or death.

My mantra: Never make a conclusion without valid, true, and substantiated premises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho