Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,637 times

Advertisements

speaking from a students standpoint i wouldnt say our gun laws are a problem. we dont have very many restrictions but for the most part people who own guns in idaho take it very seriosly. most kids go to gun safety class before they hit high school. and the kids that hunt and handle guns in my school take gun safety very seriosly. so i dont think you should worry about your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
LVGAZ, Please don't lump all of AZ into your Gun-Toting-Crazy-Wild-West scenarios. In my 23 years here I have never seen anyone arbitrarilly out shooting animals and old people. What a ridiculoius thing to say! There are gun-related incidents, especially in the southern area cities where gangs and crime seem to be more prevalent, but we are by no means the Wild West.

I am planning to retire from AZ to No. Idaho but not due to the guns! It's the blasted weather here that is making me nuts

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Gun control in Idaho is like gun control in Montana. Gun control means using both hands !
Just joking but really it is your constitutional right to keep and bear firearms period. Just ignore any and all BS state or local restrictions. The U.S. constitution is very clear and should trump all other regulations.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
Mmmmm, while I agree that we should have the right to own and bear arms, actually State laws supercede Federal.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Mmmmm, while I agree that we should have the right to own and bear arms, actually State laws supercede Federal.
If a state law abrogates a citizen's constitutional rights, it would be challenged in federal district court. Rights guaranteed in the bill of rights by the federal government may not be abrogated at the state level. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's my understanding (would be great to hear from a constitutional lawyer on this one) that the state laws may be challenged if they are subverting constitutionally guaranteed rights.

So for example, in California, the penal code defines unlawful assembly and gives law enforcement the right to disburse a crowd and back it up with incarceration. However, if it goes too far, and steps on the US constitutional right of free assembly, then the law will be struck down by the 9th district federal court. And their ruling ABSOLUTELY trumps ANY law enacted by the State of California. Any state officer persisting would be subject to federal criminal penalties and incarceration for a willful violation of civil rights under the US Code. So if after being notified of relevant case law that altered/restricted our right (as cops) to break up certain types of assembly, and we continued to do so, then any officer doing so (and any supervisor not ending such activity) are in direct violation of federal law.

Esseclue, I'm not meaning to slap you down like I know it all here...because I'm not a lawyer...but I THINK you got this one way wrong...but the right of citizens who feel their 2nd amendment rights are being abrogated could be protected by a federal court ruling that forces state agencies to end certain practices...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 PM

10 posts, read 33,155 times
This is one of the main reasons we are moving to Idaho. Idaho has no extra laws on the books other than the federal law. I can’t wait to get a concealed carry permit. And the fact that you can carry on your hip any time is beautiful just like the landscape.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 PM

20 posts, read 93,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
We are trying to get all our information together before move to Boise..
COming from AZ - I am curious what the gun control laws are in Boise/Idaho?
Here in AZ it is like the wild west and want to avoid this -
thank you
No gun controls here since they aren't needed. Just criminal control. When the Bad Guys get out of control - we make sure they don't do it again. Except for maybe in the Nampa-Caldwell area, in which case you might feel like you never left Arizona if you catch my drift.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
This thread is an eye opener for me. Can a violent felon enter Idaho, purchase a firearm, and then carry it unconcealed? (Like on the way to my house or place of employment?). If that is the case then just how big of a gun can I carry unconcealed? And can my kids carry unconcealed weapons? And where does etiquette or law dictate one may not do so? (like in courthouses or schools?).

I find the idea of students on college campuses being allowed to carry arms very intriguing, but understand this remains prohibited in Idaho?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
And if I do carry an unconcealed weapon, like on the way to work, I probably wouldn't want to cause a stir carrying it in to work, so do you just leave it in the car? Does it have to be in plain view? Won't it get stolen?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
I'm uncertain about concealed weapon laws, hoever I do know that the schools and government buildings are zero tolerence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho