Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,987 times

Advertisements

We lived in Frisco, Texas (north of Dallas) for a while. Our neighborhood was quite upscale and full of professional types. My guess was that the neighborhood was about 30% African American. We met so many wonderfull people in Texas, hated to leave, but had to move due to job requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Isn't it sad you have to google this info?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I second Dallas as a suggestion. I can't remember where I heard this, but I recall seeing a list at some point on some website (vague, I know) of the best places for black middle/upper class families and the cities on top were DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Nashville.

This reminds me, a friend of mine who comes from a well-off black family, grew up in Houston, I believe in the Third Ward. She lived in a predominantly black community where the adults tended to be doctors, lawyers and other high-level professionals and actually grew up just down the street from Beyonce.

There are also quite a few urban communities in New York, specifically Brooklyn, and more specifically the neighborhood of Fort Greene, that are predominantly black and middle/upper class.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
Default Shaker Heights, OH!

I second Shaker Heights, Ohio. I have relatives there (and Beachwood, right next door), and it was the only exposure I had to Blacks (outside my family) who didn't live in the 'hood. I've considered living there, though Cleveland is in such bad shape I'm reluctant to move there.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 AM

152 posts, read 732,124 times
Jamaica Queens and surrounding areas east seem really nice.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I was just reminded the other day about Ladera Heights, a section of Los Angeles dubbed the "Black Beverly Hills". I used to live not too far from there and it's a very nice area. Nearby Baldwin Hills (not to be confused with Baldwin Park) and View Park-Windsor Hills are also predominately black upscale communities.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 PM

243 posts, read 887,174 times
Talking Where Blacks do Good?

Why ask such a question? Should not the "non-racist" question be where do people do good? We are never going to get over racisim until people stop asking these kinds of questions!!!! We will never get over this until organizations stop offering "For Blacks Only" scolarships, or for "Hispanics Only" scolarships. Just offer them for anyone who deserves them. When we are not divided into groups then we will be great!!!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM

129 posts, read 250,794 times
Leimert Park in South Central Los Angeles

"Leimert Park has experienced a resurgence in recent years as middle-class black families from other parts of South Central Los Angeles have settled down in the Spanish Colonial bungalows that line its leafy streets. Unlike other parts of South Los Angeles, Leimert Park remains almost entirely black, with a minuscule Latino population"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leimert_Park

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Los%20Angeles/Los%20Angeles/Pictures/Leimert%20Park/lp1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Los%20Angeles/Los%20Angeles/Pictures/Leimert%20Park/lp8.jpg (broken link)

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Los%20Angeles/Los%20Angeles/Pictures/Leimert%20Park/lp18.jpg (broken link)

http://www.urbandecay.ca/Files/Content/Los%20Angeles/Los%20Angeles/Pictures/Leimert%20Park/lp24.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-24-2007, 06:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
this is not a racist question. the boy is just trying to ask where people that are like him are doing good. there is nothing wrong with asking where one group of people are doing good. being an AA college boy myself this question interests me. though i would argue with PG county being where blacks are doing good i learned a lil bit. oh, and minorties-only scholarships exist to make sure that we get a break that upper-class folk seem to find all the time.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
this is not a racist question. the boy is just trying to ask where people that are like him are doing good. there is nothing wrong with asking where one group of people are doing good. being an AA college boy myself this question interests me. though i would argue with PG county being where blacks are doing good i learned a lil bit. oh, and minorties-only scholarships exist to make sure that we get a break that upper-class folk seem to find all the time.
I don't usually make comments on subjects like this, but, lol, your post was "special".

So when my father was working two jobs to achieve lower middle class, lol, that was the break we found? His income was too high with the two salaries combined to get any real financial aid. So thats right, never finished college as a kid. No scholarships, and nobody wanted to give the white boy any money at the time.

Sure glad you get hand-outs for skin color. Otherwise you might have to work twice as hard as all these mythical rich white people and still pay your own way. Perish the thought. So do you breed racism professionally, or is it just a hobby of yours?

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.