Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:11 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times

Advertisements

what is the question williams?

It is not that one has to live with blacks if they are black but rather that if there are other blacks like him in a certain place, the whole place might be more tolerant and accepting of black people--as we are still minorities and not everyplace is so tolerant.

and also, there are others who are of other races on here stating points with a racial tinge, do you question whether they are racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 21,464 times
live and let live, what is wrong with that?, why somebody or the government has to tell you how to live or where to live? If everyone would get along and this was a perfect world then you wouldn't need to ask a question like that. I would like to live in a small town, but I am in an interracial relationship, with an interracial child, I have already experience the reaction of some people to that, who cares!!, this is my relationship, not theirs, so, what's their problem?, Imagine going to a small town full of rednecks, how could we live there?, what about my child?, the world and this country judges you by your appearance first, sometimes, they don't even want to get to know you if you don't appeal to them, starts with the schools, and it keeps going on the workplace, in neighbourhoods, etc..., people don't want to open up to other cultures or other races, so you do what it's more comfortable which is to look for people who are like you or at least think like you, so you don't have to deal with that. "Live and let live" means mind your own bussines. I am from another country and I came here with an open mind, ready to learn about this country and it's culture, and to embrace every culture, what a disapointment was to see that people are still segregated, that you have to be careful where you go, who you choose to be with, and where to live..., that is "the way it is", so you have to find a place that is going to accept you for who you are, and not for what you look like, what better place that to find "somewhere" where pleople are like you? We already have enough to deal with the everyday life to have to deal with that to.Thank you.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:25 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,052 times
Okay...but does matching skin color mean that people are "like you"? There are thousands of ways people can be alike...skin color being but one way. I know A LOT of white people that are nothing like me, and the only thing we have in common is our skin color. That alone doesn't make me identify with anyone.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
So what if he/she wants to move to an area that is mostly upperclass and black. It's a preference goodness! If a white person wants to live by only whites, I have absolutely no problem with it. For me I would prefer to live in a racially mixed area. I've lived in all white areas before (not by choice) and it hasn't been fun. I would never want to subject myself or if I have kids to the sh*t I had to go through. Maybe they want to avoid that too.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
So what if he/she wants to move to an area that is mostly upperclass and black. It's a preference goodness! If a white person wants to live by only whites, I have absolutely no problem with it. For me I would prefer to live in a racially mixed area. I've lived in all white areas before (not by choice) and it hasn't been fun. I would never want to subject myself or if I have kids to the sh*t I had to go through. Maybe they want to avoid that too.
If you want a racial mix then my city Alexandria, VA would be perfect for anyone looking for diversity. I've used to live in an white upper-class area (yorktown, va) and i hated it. i was more comfortable when i lived on a street with white and black military and blue-collar folks in Hampton which some folks in Yorktown would call a ghetto. i'd rather live in an area that ain't the safest than be stuck in an area with folks who look down upon me b/c i have to work a 9-5 to get by and i ain't of the right skin color. It's alright to have a preference to live around the op's is an upper-class black area, mine is to be in an area with a racial mix that is middle-class so if i have kids they can have role models that show my kids that they have to work hard to have anything in life and show them that there are other roads for AA's than jail, six feet deep, NBA, or rapping. It's important to live where you are comfortable and who is yapcity to look down on folks who are comfortable in mostly AA neighborhoods?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
There are so many upper middle class black areas across the country. I lived in Prince Georges County near DC and though many upper middle class blacks live there I could never live there again. IMO theres so much more to a community than a big million dollar home with a Mercedes in the driveway. There definately are the lovely housing developments like Woodmoore, Cantaberry and Lake Arbor, but where's the nice stores, nice restaurants, cool bookstores, even highend stores to go with the highend people? Everybody drives and rush hour traffic is a mess. Stick to the big cities and not the suburbs. DC, Atlanta, LA, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, NY are great cities with what you're looking for.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 PM

13 posts, read 153,462 times
There are blacks doing well all across the country from small towns to big cities. The people of Atlanta and D.C. (and the other areas people have mentioned in this post) just decided to live close to each other for a reason (racism). There is no specific place where blacks are doing well. Just like there are blacks doing in well Prince George's County there are blacks doing well in Idaho. It is about the person and what wealth they are able to accumulate, and where they decide to live.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:37 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
IMO I would think that the Chicago area has as many affluent African Americans as any of the cities described thus far.
Hey, Chicago's stats would be skewed (to the high end) because Oprah hails from there!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
And since blacks and hispanics are still the minority, about 12 to 13 percent each, there are still neigbhorhoods around the country that do not wish to sell or rent to black people. alot of them are in working class neigbhorhoods like Northeast Philadelphia, Bensonhurst Brooklyn--but there are also gated communities that do not wish to have people of color in them.

so its not that whites can and shouldnt live with black affluent people, its the reality that many do not want to, so there is still a need for minorities to seek safe havens.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 PM

200 posts, read 449,179 times
I always find it amusing when whites get "offended" at the idea that some affluent african americans would rather live in neighborhoods with other affluent african americans.....it goes against their idea that in order to be successful you should aspire to live in their neighborhoods....yuck....i'll pass!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.