Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 AM

989 posts, read 5,924,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
You can't just "live and let live" all the time. Some things are just wrong, and need to be changed or outlawed for the greater good.

That's what it means to live in a civilized society.

-TT
If only those nutballs up in SF could understand!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Funky View Post
You think racism is dead?

Please, there are LOTS of reasons why blacks are still in the ghetto, there are biased laws against crimes that are more geared against blacks, law enforcement agencies are always targeted in black inner city communities. Contrary to what some believe there are still white employers that do not willingly hire minorities.
Hmmm...interesting. Do your excuses apply to nations such as Haiti, Liberia or even Mugabe's Zimbabwe as well? Who makes the policies in those countries?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
The OP is asking for information on "Upper Class Black" areas. WHAT about this is not racist?

How about I create a post "Looking for an area dominated by upper middle-class whites"? The mods would delete it so fast there wouldn't be time for a response.

Yap City,
There is no need to ask a question like that, the main reason being there are plenty wherever you go. Beverly Hills, Coronado, Boca Raton, Garden City, Oak Brook, just to name a few. There are areas where there are upper class black populations, but not as many as upper class areas that are predominately white. I asked the question because often times, a successful Black person will be looked at with astonishment from his affluent northside neighbors, as if they can't believe he could actually afford to live in their neighborhood. The Black family ends up feeling like they need not play into any steryotypes whites commonly think of Blacks, for that might cause tension. Most Whites don't understand upper class Black society and traditions and most are shocked that we've even had an upper class since the late 1800s. To avoid all this many decide to move into upscale Black communities where they don't have to explain their successes to anyone. It also gives their children people to look up to when they're growing up. When I have my kids, I don't want them to think all they can be is a rapper. They would probably look up to me, of course, but I'm only one person.
I didn't mean to sound racist. Thanks for stating your opinion, but with all due respect I didn't really ask for it. I have no problem with people of other races... I was just wondering. Sorry for being curious about where blacks are doing well I guess?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM

34 posts, read 164,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Pop over to NYC forum. Many blacks are doing mighty fine in New York and its environs. However, it is very pricey.
I 2nd that. NYC is the place to be but it is extremely expensive. Many blacks live here and work in many businesses in Manhattan. More blacks live in Kings County (Brooklyn) than any other county in the state of NY.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2BGI View Post
I 2nd that. NYC is the place to be but it is extremely expensive. Many blacks live here and work in many businesses in Manhattan. More blacks live in Kings County (Brooklyn) than any other county in the state of NY.
It's probably been mentioned before in this thread, but Queens County is the only county in the US where average African American income is higher than non-Latino white income.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM

34 posts, read 164,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's probably been mentioned before in this thread, but Queens County is the only county in the US where average African American income is higher than non-Latino white income.
Sounds good to me. Queens would have been my 2nd choice, then followed by Harlem since things have gotten a lot better (and more expensive) up there too. There are just things that Brooklyn has that can not be matched by anywhere else if you are black and living in NY. We have black people from every country. Culturally Brooklyn is way ahead of the other boroughs when it comes to blacks since there is such a diverse black population here. Most of the largest events geared towards blacks happen in Brooklyn.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Yes, I understand your opinion. The "live and let live" philosophy is what it is until it violates the civil liberties of others. People who seek to be with their own race as a matter of practice will carry that preference over into other things.

It's wrong no matter how you slice it. To be honest, your attitude is the very cancer that has been destroying this country from within for the last 50 years or so. You can't just "live and let live" all the time. Some things are just wrong, and need to be changed or outlawed for the greater good.

That's what it means to live in a civilized society.

-TT
YapCity, can't you understand that perhaps, African-American would like to live around other African-Americans due to the gross mistreatment that they have received from white Americans for the past... four hundred years or so.
Extending the olive branch is the 1970s was nice, too bad racism still exists to this day. So a lot of people would just rather do without it. If whites don't want to live around me, I'm not surprised. It's nothing new at all. So I can't understand them being upset about upper class blacks wanting to be around each other.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Charlotte, NC; Jackson MS; Dallas Texas; Denver Colo; Pheonix AZ;

Montclair NJ; suburban DC; Memphis

Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
A great book for you to read about Our Kind of People is by

Lawrence Otis Graham, called "Our Kind of People" talks about where the upper class and upper middle class blacks live and have historically lived in the US.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,992 times
I was going to respond to several of these posts but than I stopped and asked myself, who cares?! Let get over it, the race thing is getting old and it will never go away if we keep focusing on it. Anyway, I am a 25 yr old engineer and I would like to find a nice, upper middle class african-american area of houston to live in. Why? Because I would feel more comfortable living around others that looked like me and shared some of the same customs as I. Can anyone answer that question for me? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.