Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 AM

324 posts, read 809,234 times

Advertisements

Some of the Better Pizza shops down here pay a premium to bring in NYC tap water and Jersey Tomatoes to give it a authentic NY taste. I guess its debatable whether it's worth it or not. Some people like NY style and some don't. I prefer Jersey shore pizza. The pizza is less refined but the slices are triple the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,723,508 times
Also, the mozzarella just tastes off here in many places. That's usually what separates the places with good pizza and not for me here. Wherever many are picking up the wholesale mozzarella from just doesn't offer as solid a product as wherever it comes from in NYC, Chicago, etc.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,850,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Because - Cheesecake factory isn't a place to get 5$ lunches - I'm thinking more of a take out spot than a sitdown place - I'm not knocking cheesecake factory - if you lived in NY before you would understand what I mean. NOOOOO, I'm not saying that makes us better but we just have those options and I'm looking for that as an option. Also, in regards to pizza - I personally think Rizzo's in Astoria is the Best pizza ever - but we have our share of really bad pizza here too.

I have heard it said that the pizza is different in Florida (all over) because of the water there. It is very hard - that is the truth, but I don't know that it can change the taste of the pizza - good pizza is good pizza and bad pizza is bad no matter where you are from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Hard water to affect the taste of pizza? That's interesting, but I guess it could be, I have not a clue. But the water in FL definitely tastes bad, so I could see that.

Some good pizza places outside of NYC indeed import NY water to use in their pizza dough making.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,778,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Some good pizza places outside of NYC indeed import NY water to use in their pizza dough making.
I swear, I thought that was a joke. Personally, I love NY water - I drink tap here, but I have actually gotten hoarse due to the water in Florida - I guess I'll be back to bottled water when I move.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,364,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
NY vs Chicago - everyone has preferences on every different type of pizza

For the most part, I wouldn't recommend against Anthony's simply because most people do like it. I'm not a big fan of soft doughy pizza at all, though I don't think Anthony's pizza's are "crunchy" at all... in fact, I hate the giant pieces of crust at the end of a pizza that take up half the slice of pie, and the fact that Anthony's tend to have sauce/cheese almost all the way to the edge is a huge plus for me.

I would rate Pizza Time (Coral Springs) as the absolute WORST pizza I've ever consumed, EVER, in my life. They are these thick, disgusting square pizzas that simply can't be taken seriously. It's like an inch thick of crust with lousy ingrediants on top.
Yeah the Sicilian is nasty, I go for the reg pie.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,364,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I swear, I thought that was a joke. Personally, I love NY water - I drink tap here, but I have actually gotten hoarse due to the water in Florida - I guess I'll be back to bottled water when I move.
There is a place in Delray, it's called Brooklyn Water Bagel. They made a water filtration system and re-created NY water to get the same taste. They use it in their bagels, and they are supposed to be opening a pizza place with the same water system to recreate the taste of authentic NY Pizza.

Our company purchased the same water filtration system for our Gourmet Coffee we sell.

The Original Brooklyn Water Bagel Co. - Quality New York Style Bagels (http://www.brooklynwaterbagels.com/brooklyn_water.php - broken link)

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,945,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^doesnt really much make sense dude!
I thought you didn't like rude places? Cheesecake Factory restaurants tend to be located in malls and crowded commercial areas, which are a haven for rude people.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,956,975 times
[quote=compelled to reply;13859991]I thought you didn't like rude places? Cheesecake Factory restaurants tend to be located in malls and crowded commercial areas, which are a haven for rude people.[/quote]

I guess it depends on where you are.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 804,009 times
If you recommend Cheesecake Factory to a traveller looking to try local food - you CLEARLY don't know good food. Places like Cheesecake Factory have their menu's designed to appeal as decent food to the most people. Their food is simply butter, cream, and loaded with salt. But I'm not totally knocking it, I just ate their yesterday - it has it's purpose, but I would NEVER visit a chain restaurant when visiting a new place.

As for NY/New Haven pizza - I saw those 2 places on TV not long ago, looked decent. I was in Manhattan a few months ago and tried pizza at many locations (maybe 10 different places) - and I would say most of them were flat out bad with a couple decent ones. Nothing special at all.

I actually enjoyed Benny Tudino's in Hoboken to any NY pizza. But I would absolutely say that Anthony's down here makes a better NY style pie than anywhere else I've tried. There is a reason why Anthony's is growing fast.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,723,508 times
Anthony's Coal Fire? Wow, I'm in the crowd that thinks the crust tastes burnt, but I get why people like it - my kids do so we're there a lot - but I dont think it resembles NY pizza at all. NYC pizza is bready, thick and greasy and Anthony's is crispy, thin and not at all greasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area