Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:27 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,770,778 times

Advertisements

booo - what about little dives that make really good authentic food? I can go to brooklyn and get spanish food like it is from my grandmothers kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
For pizza - there is a local chain (I know I know) that I like and most everyone down here raves about - Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. Their pizza is "well done" with super thin crust.

I've never taken anyone there who doesn't absolutely love it.

For sandwhiches, there is a famous cheesesteak place in hollywood that I can't remember the name of... but if you want to try THE sandwhich place, LaSpada's over at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is my recommendation - look it up on Google maps or you'll never find it

Unfortunately I just don't remember any memorable places in the Hollywood/Dania area. Michaels Kitchen was great but they moved. For the most part the places are just kind of run of the mill.

La Spada - yum-yum. There are two places. One in Lauderdale by the Sea and the other one in Davie (University, South of i-595)

Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,055,650 times
gotta try BIG CITY DOGS in Davie too..they opened not too long ago. Try the RIPPER ! woooooohooo !

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The ones at Cheesecake Factory are awesome.
Oh, my dear. Since I do not live in Florida I cannot say which establishments are best but, as a person who grew up with magnificent fish tacos in their place of birth, I can only shake my head in sorrow when someone claims the Cheesecake Factory has passable fish tacos. Say it ain't so, Joe.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
That's your opinion. I worked at Cheesecake Factory for just over a year and have certainly tried them, they are ok but certainly nothing beyond average.
A voice of reason. If you want real fish tacos then try Mariscos German in San Diego and order their smoked Marlyn taco. It ain't in Florida but it likely will be the best god damned fish taco you ever had in your life. Don't feel bad though as we've had decades to perfect the perfect fish taco and places like Florida haven't.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
A voice of reason. If you want real fish tacos then try Mariscos German in San Diego and order their smoked Marlyn taco. It ain't in Florida but it likely will be the best god damned fish taco you ever had in your life. Don't feel bad though as we've had decades to perfect the perfect fish taco and places like Florida haven't.
OK... if you think our Fish tacos are bad, I hope you really enjoy eating food with excessive amounts of garlic, onions, and artificial seasonings, as that's the only thing Cuban Cuisine can offer. Actually I forgot, there is a rice dish with mayonnaise with cheese on top of it.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:10 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,770,778 times
Guys - ever notice that people think they like ethnic food until they really taste it? I don't like fast food style Mexican food at all fish tacos or otherwise but an example is lets say Thai food. Most people other than Thai people can't handle authentic Thai food (very, very spicy) - if there is a really good Thai place that Thai people love - chances are americans won't love the place. However, I do like the mexican food served on 86th and roosevelt - very authentic! They serve tacos and all that good stuff, but also regular stuff like rice and beans and pernil and chicken and it is all delish.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Oh yes, I'm going to travel to San Diego to have fish tacos! Gimme a break! I'm sure the OP is going to want to make that trip too!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
booo - what about little dives that make really good authentic food? I can go to brooklyn and get spanish food like it is from my grandmothers kitchen.
Not sure what you are referring to, but I have a feeling you will find such places in Pembroke Pines. I have seen a few ethnic places there but have never tried their food.

We have some places that sell Cuban, Nicaraguan and Colombian food. Some places are better than others but in general they tend to put a lot of salt & carbs in their food.

Cuban bakeries tend to be very popular within the hispanic community but they are loaded with sugar. I don't like very sweet desserts, I find them repulsive, but those extra sweet desserts are very common in the American cuisine too. Don Pan, a Venezuelan chain is actually a better place as South American food is not loaded with sugars or syrups.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
I highly recommend Nicaraguan carne asada.

Not Mexican. Nicaraguan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area