Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldlover View Post
I´ve been hearing that everywhere, that if you´re not in Las Olas Boulevard then it is very boring. How exciting is the Las Olas Boulevard? I´m from NYC, and I know that Miami Beach is more livelier, but will a NY´er be so culture shocked living in Fort Lauderdale?? If I lived in a townhome in East Lauderdale a mile from the beach will I be bored? I cant wait to go for the first time!
If you've never been here it's like going to a NJ shore town. Yes you will be completely culture shocked beyond belief. That being said some people are looking for that. Beach, water, slow pace and some restaurants and the occasional "Broadway Across America" or "King Tut Expo" passing through. Las Olas Blvd is a couple of blocks. It's not like you're driving up Riverside Drive lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Except New Yorkers work their asses off that they don't even get to enjoy all New York has to offer...that's unfortunate...

Well...the bottom line is, there is no place like New York and any New Yorker who plans on moving ANYWHERE in US, will not find the same amount of culture and amenities as in NY (perhaps SF will come close, but still not the same). So I don't think moving from NY for more excitement is the right move.
People who have never left the city crack me up. If you think you are going to leave NYC and come down here and magically life will be slower, less hustle, you are going to be in for the shock of your life. It feels like a vacation when you come her because you are on vacation when you come here. When you live and work here, different story. As I tell every new yorker looking to move here. I have been where you have been (born and raised in Brooklyn) you have not been where I have been (living and working in S. Florida). Trust me, you will not be transported to fairy land when you get here. As for not being able to enjoy NYC. Unless you have 10 jobs and no free time I don't see how that is possible. When I was up north we enjoyed the city plenty on the weekends. Just as we go out and do things here on the weekends (never during the week day because I am to tired from working).

Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
If you can accept that Fort Lauderdale is nothing like NY, and in fact its the polar opposite, and you like the beach then yes you will like it here. Some people move down here expecting everything to be like NYC and they are very disappointed once they move down. South Beach and Brickell are the 2 closest things to NYC that South FL has to offer, but they are still way different than NYC. You also have to ask yourself if you want to be surrounded by partying and clubs 24/7 because that's how South Beach is.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
If you can accept that Fort Lauderdale is nothing like NY, and in fact its the polar opposite, and you like the beach then yes you will like it here. Some people move down here expecting everything to be like NYC and they are very disappointed once they move down. South Beach and Brickell are the 2 closest things to NYC that South FL has to offer, but they are still way different than NYC. You also have to ask yourself if you want to be surrounded by partying and clubs 24/7 because that's how South Beach is.
can't give you anymore rep until i give some to someone else. With that said, that is one of the problems of people coming form NYC to here. The other problem is, people come here on vacation and they relax and think that life here is always some laid back, vacation spot. never mind you have to drive everywhere, never mind the humidity gets old quick, never mind you still have to get up everyday and go to work and instead of pushing your way through a train car you have to push your way through traffic. People are just delusional about the situation either as you said thinking that every place offers what NYC offers or that this place is some laid back slow country town. Then when they get here and in some instances get stuck and cant leave they get disgruntled.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:17 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
People who have never left the city crack me up. If you think you are going to leave NYC and come down here and magically life will be slower, less hustle, you are going to be in for the shock of your life. It feels like a vacation when you come her because you are on vacation when you come here. When you live and work here, different story. As I tell every new yorker looking to move here. I have been where you have been (born and raised in Brooklyn) you have not been where I have been (living and working in S. Florida). Trust me, you will not be transported to fairy land when you get here. As for not being able to enjoy NYC. Unless you have 10 jobs and no free time I don't see how that is possible. When I was up north we enjoyed the city plenty on the weekends. Just as we go out and do things here on the weekends (never during the week day because I am to tired from working).

Ummmm...I was not born and raised in New York thank you very much. You don't know me. Don't tell me where I've been and have not been. By the way, where in my previous post I've implied that Florida is slower and less hustle aka Fairy Land? Don't make fun of my post. It's not classy.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Ummmm...I was not born and raised in New York thank you very much. You don't know me. Don't tell me where I've been and have not been. By the way, where in my previous post I've implied that Florida is slower and less hustle aka Fairy Land? Don't make fun of my post. It's not classy.
Just following the conversation the OP is from NYC asking about Florida. You in turn (in line with the comparisons of Florida to NY) said in NY people don't have time to enjoy the city as opposed to Florida (again keeping in line with the conversation). I was just trying to point out your statement isn't true for all or even most people in NYC. The way you stated it also seemed to assume like was different from that in Florida and it isn't. Didn't mean to offend. Just to clarify my Friend came to visit from Brooklyn a few years ago. He told me once it feels like he is on vacation when he comes here. I told him (silly you are on vacation when you come here) which also accounts for some of what I said to you. Wasn't the first time I heard something like that. Again didn't mean to offend.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Just following the conversation the OP is from NYC asking about Florida. You in turn (in line with the comparisons of Florida to NY) said in NY people don't have time to enjoy the city as opposed to Florida (again keeping in line with the conversation). I was just trying to point out your statement isn't true for all or even most people in NYC. The way you stated it also seemed to assume like was different from that in Florida and it isn't. Didn't mean to offend. Just to clarify my Friend came to visit from Brooklyn a few years ago. He told me once it feels like he is on vacation when he comes here. I told him (silly you are on vacation when you come here) which also accounts for some of what I said to you. Wasn't the first time I heard something like that. Again didn't mean to offend.
Alright, I get your point. I didn't mean to sound "opposed to Florida", but I understand how it could come across that way...
I do still think that majority of New Yorkers don't get to enjoy the amenities of NY. I'm not talking about going out to dinner/lounges on the weekends, I'm talking about cultural side of NY...Like average New Yorker with a mortage...let's ask him when the last time he went to see a Broadway show, or went to Museum, or went to Statue of Liberty... What I'm saying is, although New York is more cultural then let's say all cities in US, New Yorkers work and STRESS way damn hard to enjoy it anyway. Wall street, financial and fashion capital of the world let's say...so many of them work looooong hours, overtime...amount of stress is tremendous.
Again, I'm not saying it's not like that in Florida, but I bet the fact alone that most of Florida is not nearly as crowded, that most of Florida is not nearly as dirty, is not nearly as noisy and not FREEZING (I don't care of it's humid, it's still better then freezing paralyzing cold rain, wind, ice storms...etc...) releases at least SOME of the stress.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Alright, I get your point. I didn't mean to sound "opposed to Florida", but I understand how it could come across that way...
I do still think that majority of New Yorkers don't get to enjoy the amenities of NY. I'm not talking about going out to dinner/lounges on the weekends, I'm talking about cultural side of NY...Like average New Yorker with a mortage...let's ask him when the last time he went to see a Broadway show, or went to Museum, or went to Statue of Liberty... What I'm saying is, although New York is more cultural then let's say all cities in US, New Yorkers work and STRESS way damn hard to enjoy it anyway. Wall street, financial and fashion capital of the world let's say...so many of them work looooong hours, overtime...amount of stress is tremendous.
Again, I'm not saying it's not like that in Florida, but I bet the fact alone that most of Florida is not nearly as crowded, that most of Florida is not nearly as dirty, is not nearly as noisy and not FREEZING (I don't care of it's humid, it's still better then freezing paralyzing cold rain, wind, ice storms...etc...) releases at least SOME of the stress.
Being a native NYer I have been the Statue of Liberty twice. Twin Towers twice and most of the museums two MAYBE three times. Not because I didn't have time when I lived there. Its just that how many times are you really going to go to a museum or a statue that never changes. As for broadway plays, never been to one. Not because I didn't have time but because i didn't care to. I have family and friends in NYC two are actors (funny enough, one is a broadway actor) and the rest are nurses, cops, fire fighters and other blue collar type workers. They go do tons of stuff in their spare time. I have to hear about it when I call to check up on them. I am not sure about the people you know but the ones I know enjoy NYC plenty. As for the weather, that is a personal choice. I for one hate humidity.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Being a native NYer I have been the Statue of Liberty twice. Twin Towers twice and most of the museums two MAYBE three times. Not because I didn't have time when I lived there. Its just that how many times are you really going to go to a museum or a statue that never changes. As for broadway plays, never been to one. Not because I didn't have time but because i didn't care to. I have family and friends in NYC two are actors (funny enough, one is a broadway actor) and the rest are nurses, cops, fire fighters and other blue collar type workers. They go do tons of stuff in their spare time. I have to hear about it when I call to check up on them. I am not sure about the people you know but the ones I know enjoy NYC plenty. As for the weather, that is a personal choice. I for one hate humidity.
Exactly. How many times can you visit the same museum, the same attraction, the same show that don't change? Is having all this culture in the city THAT important...I guess everyone has its preference.
Gosh, Wild Style, you really seem miserable with your decision of moving to Florida. That must suck. I haven't heard a single positive thing about Florida from you yet...

Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Exactly. How many times can you visit the same museum, the same attraction, the same show that don't change? Is having all this culture in the city THAT important...I guess everyone has its preference.
Gosh, Wild Style, you really seem miserable with your decision of moving to Florida. That must suck. I haven't heard a single positive thing about Florida from you yet...
There is far more things going on in NYC than just those museums and statue of liberty though. To each his own though I guess, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area