Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:53 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times

Advertisements

fuave>

I agree. But Fort Lauderdale compared to most of America is very exciting. Fort Lauderdale is a modified version of Miami Beach. It has some of the same elements, but less people, less traffic, less tall buildings, less nightclubs, less hit and runs, and no topless girls at the beach. Fort Lauderdale is more like a gigantic suburbia than a major city. Miami is a really big city just like Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
I agree Nolefan. I was responding to the OP when she wrote:

Quote:
The thing is, Miami Beach (the area itself above 5000 Collins) is the same in the number of activities as Fort Lauderdale no? As you get closer to south Beach, and Aventura (high north and high south) there are more activities. What about in the actual area of Miami Beach itself?
I should add now that I'm reading the post back that Miami Beach itself (outside of what Miami offers) has lots of activities. The only thing that was a pain when I lived there was having to find a store like Home Depot or Target! Not a complaint I have in Ft Lauderdale....

Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I agree Nolefan. I was responding to the OP when she wrote:

I should add now that I'm reading the post back that Miami Beach itself (outside of what Miami offers) has lots of activities. The only thing that was a pain when I lived there was having to find a store like Home Depot or Target! Not a complaint I have in Ft Lauderdale....
I am not sure when you lived on Miami beach/S. Beach but remember they have a target in midtown now and they are going to be building a walmart soon. midtown to s. beach depending on where you are isn't that far at all.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 AM

Wow...where'd they find room for the Target? I lived in midtown.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Wow...where'd they find room for the Target? I lived in midtown.
N. Miami Ave & 21 st (or somewhere around there) you should go pay the area a visit some time. I bet it looks different from how you remember. They have done a decent job over there. Still has a ways to go but not bad at all.

Last edited by Wild Style; 05-31-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM

Oh, midtown Miami - I got you. I thought at first you meant mid-beach! Yeah, that's not far at all - a lot closer than North Miami Beach which is where we used to go. Yeah, I do need to see that area again. I hope this recent housing mess doesn't slow the gentrification down any like it has some of the downtown areas up here.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Fort Lauderdale and in fact Miami is great if you are into the beach, boating or water based fun - or if you like bars and eating out. If so, there is always something to do and lots of fun - especially if you have a boat. Other than that it becomes somewhat challenging to find activities to keep you engaged. If you have children and are out west then you have sports and those sort of family things, but as many other posters have noted, this area is not what I would consider a metro area - things are far and cumbersome to get to from one place to another, and there isnt consistent, easy to access cultural activities. Also when something good is offered -the crowds make it somewhat more difficult to consider (las olas art festival for example).

Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 PM

StilltheSame>

I agree that Fort Lauderdale lacks cultural activities. But I think Miami has a decent amount of that. Not what you'd get in a northern city, but Miami has a good amount of culture. South FL in general has lots of rock concerts, rap concerts, music festivals, compared to most areas. Of course, you'd only be into that stuff if you are young. It lacks symphonies, orchestras, plays, or other cultured things that middle-aged or older people are into. I think South FL has become a young people's town. Young people love it down here, but middle-aged and older people seem very unhappy here these days.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Nolefan,

I agree - Miami has much more to offer than Ft. Lauderdale and also that SFl as a whole is more for younger and single residents- which only shows my age! LOL!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:56 PM

IMO South FL is for the following people:

1. Young people who A) love the beach, and B) love to party
2. Rich people
3. Northeasterners who aren't phased by the traffic and crime
4. people who like warm climates over cold weather

South FL is NOT for:
1. Middle-aged and middle-class people looking for a laid-back life, good job, and good schools.
2. old people
3. Mid-westerners and people from rural areas who aren't used to a faster-paced lifestyle, aggressive drivers, crime, and Hispanics
4. people who aren't into partying or going to the beach.
5. people who cannot tolerate heat and humidity.
6. people who are "cultured".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area