Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

This thread is gratis from me to all those interested in moving to South Florida. It's based on visits, research, conversations, etc. Please read and decide for yourselves whether to relocate.

Be guided by the knowledge that South Florida remains part of the good old USA and as such, imho, will always have those basic wonderful characteristics of living in the USA. Also be cognizant that one man's meat is another man's poison. The decision to relocate is an individual thing but one must be forewarned and take the blinders off.

For those who choose to relocate, God bless, for those who don't, God bless.

Cons:

--intense heat June - November.

--intense humidity.

--threat of hurricanes.

--palmetto bugs the size of cadillacs.

--fire ants and love bugs.

--limited employment opportunities outside of healthcare and a few service industries.

--payscale usually lower that in many other northern states.

--public schools have a notorious reputation.

--everyday life operates at a slower, less efficient pace than up North.

--lack of state income taxes also a con as funding for infrastructure and other standard facilities suffer as a result.

--traffic nightmares - including snowbirds either crawling along to the mall or going over the speed limit to snag that early bird special.

--drugs, crime, sex offenders rampant. Geograhic location makes illegal drug movements into mainland easier than elsewhere. Transient nature of population facilitates constant inflow/outflow of outlaws, pedophiles, rapists, assorted criminals.

-- while weather often cited as plus, can also be minus where intense heat and humidity keep one indoors unable to enjoy the blessings of a no winter environment, hence difficult to enjoy true year round outdoor events.

Pros:

--fantastic winter months weather.

--no need for heavy winter attire - gloves, hats, scarves, coats, snowboots.

--put away the snowblower.

-- no slush, sleet, snow, dangerous winter road travel.

--no state income taxes.

--easy acces to northeast and to Caribbean.

--sexy gals in sexy bikinis!!!!!!

Once again, Florida may be for you, it may not be. Good luck whatever you decide. I've decided that if I ever hit it big as a writer, I'll buy a winter home there....otherwise I'm "a staying" up here in NYC. Some of my loved ones have decided Florida is the place to be. Only you personally can decide what's best for you.

Best.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 03-04-2009 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
This thread is gratis from me to all those interested in moving to South Florida. It's based on visits, research, conversations, etc. Please read and decide for yourselves whether to relocate.

Be guided by the knowledge that South Florida remains part of the good old USA and as such, imho, will always have those basic wonderful characteristics of living in the USA. Also be cognizant that one man's meat is another man's poison. The decision to relocate is an individual thing but one must be forewarned and take the blinders off.

For those who choose to relocate, God bless, for those who don't, God bless.

Cons:

--intense heat June - November.

--intense humidity.

--threat of hurricanes.

--palmetto bugs the size of cadillacs.

--fire ants and love bugs.

--limited employment opportunities outside of healthcare and a few service industries.

--payscale usually lower that in many other northern states.

--public schools have a notorious reputation.

--everyday life operates at a slower, less efficient pace than up North.

--lack of state income taxes also a con as funding for infrastructure and other standard facilities suffer as a result.

--traffic nightmares - including snowbirds either crawling along to the mall or going over the speed limit to snag that early bird special.

Pros:

--fantastic winter months weather.

--no need for heavy winter attire - gloves, hats, scarves, coats, snowboots.

--put away the snowblower.

-- no slush, sleet, snow, dangerous winter road travel.

--no state income taxes.

--easy acces to northeast and to Caribbean.

--drugs, crime, sex offenders rampant. Geograhic location makes illegal drug movements into mainland easier than elsewhere. Transient nature of population facilitates constant inflow/outflow of outlaws, pedophiles, rapists, assorted criminals.

--while weather often cited as plus, can also be minus where intense heat and humdity keep one indoors unable to enjoy the blessings of a no winter environment, hence difficult to enjoy true year round outdoor events.

--sexy gals in sexy bikinis!!!!!!

Once agin, Florida may be for you, it may not be. Good luck whatever you decide. I've decided that if I ever hit it big as a writer, I'll buy a winter home there....otherwise I'm "a staying" up here in NYC. Some of my loved ones have decided Florida is the place to be. Only you personally can decide what's best for you.

Best.
that's a pro?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
that's a pro?
Thanks wildstyle..no wonder my novels aren't selling yet! I need a good editor like you.

Thanks. It's been corrected!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 AM

lol..there are so many cons, one or two ended up in the pros by accident..or by a freudian slip to beef up the pros. it's all been corrected now.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM

other than that I liked what you said, it was pretty accurate at least from my view point.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
other than that I liked what you said, it was pretty accurate at least from my view point.
Thanks for endorsing. I give credence to you, as you are a knowledgeable current Florida resident and a former New Yorker.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Pro: No need for winter tires. Tracks open all year. Finally can get a convert.

Cons: Massive open road is sure to increase juvenile behaviour.

Pro: No beer belly to be had as all spare time would be at beach. No need for any wetsuit equipment.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Pro: No need for winter tires. Tracks open all year. Finally can get a convert.

Cons: Massive open road is sure to increase juvenile behaviour.

Pro: No beer belly to be had as all spare time would be at beach. No need for any wetsuit equipment.

Good one about the tracks being open..well PBIR used to close for about 2 weeks every mid December. But that's still no big deal versus having to wait 4-5 months for good ol' Englishtown to reopen. Yes, that is a plus.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Do you have any examples? I thought this was a future problem as real estate taxes go down, but as recently as a '08, state revenues were at record highs and we even got a prop tax cut in 07. You always see infrastructure work down here (for now). Otherwise, great list!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Do you have any examples? I thought this was a future problem as real estate taxes go down, but as recently as a '08, state revenues were at record highs and we even got a prop tax cut in 07. You always see infrastructure work down here (for now). Otherwise, great list!
Quote:
State economists said Florida will collect $1-billion less in taxes this year than expected and that the state will have about the same amount of money next year.
link

They are in trouble and have been for some time. Relying so heavily on property tax has put them in a real bind. As for cuts in rates, they had no choice. Home prices are falling, people are losing homes and people are leaving the state in record numbers, they have to do something and one thing was to cut property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area