Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

^^^ I know and agree. I just think weak infrastructure & services is a problem coming down the road...not quite here yet...like teacher lay-offs. I think the federal stimulus package is going to help in this department - hard to know right now how significantly...but promises to stem potential infrastructure stagnation. Even your mass transit dreams may see some light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 PM

326 posts, read 1,453,126 times
May I disagree on one point? I don't think that everyday life operates at a slower, less efficient pace than up North. I have found malfunctioning of public offices, health offices, banks and the like to be very similar in CT and in FL. It all depends on who you find ad those tend to be "lizards" or "polar bears" just as well.

Traffic is bad, true, but it really depends on what you compare it with.

I would say that the major points to consider are the weather, and this is really only a matter of personal like, hurricanes and your willingness to take the risk, and schools if you have school age children.

The other points you make are very true as well, but not particular to south FL, and so it really matters where you are moving from (or running from.)

Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Okay - I tried to stay away, I wanted to see what people were truly going to say and see how negative or not negative it could get. I'm impressed that it didn't go straight to the stinker.

I just wanted to add a point to what VVolin was saying in regards to service in SFL versus that up North. It is a SHAME, but i think it has become the accepted norm to expect bad service. We are raising/creating a bunch of people who are oblivious to common courtesy. I'm 33 years old and I'm shocked at both kids and adults these days. Those who can't form a complete, grammatically correct sentence. (I am not talking about anyone on here, I know I write craziness sometimes). I'm talking more about the everyday things.

Anyway - this is off the topic.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM

326 posts, read 1,453,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Okay - I tried to stay away, I wanted to see what people were truly going to say and see how negative or not negative it could get. I'm impressed that it didn't go straight to the stinker.

I just wanted to add a point to what VVolin was saying in regards to service in SFL versus that up North. It is a SHAME, but i think it has become the accepted norm to expect bad service. We are raising/creating a bunch of people who are oblivious to common courtesy. I'm 33 years old and I'm shocked at both kids and adults these days. Those who can't form a complete, grammatically correct sentence. (I am not talking about anyone on here, I know I write craziness sometimes). I'm talking more about the everyday things.

Anyway - this is off the topic.
I could not agree more with you. Coming from Europe, I sometimes wonder how can some sale persons keep their jobs. They would be fired instantly in Europe (provided they are not under a strong union.....lol!)

As for the English language on this continent, it is a shame that children are not even taught grammar at school. I used to correct long essays and theses of graduate students when I lived in FL. Now, I won't compare them to my 11 year old, because she is not the norm, but those people had no business being in graduate school. They had no business having graduated from high school. The science method would have been pure philosophy to them if they only had a vague idea of what philosophy is.

Even on this board the numbers of mistaken its and it's or their and there are scary: how don't you know the difference between a verb and a possessive adjective or an adverb? I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, and indeed I would never point a mistake out to any of you personally. It is a shame none of you deserves from me. But I wish this country would become more educated. Then the world power (once it appears on this continent again, and it will) would be in safer hands.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 AM

I hear you VV - I'm waiting for that time to come. My kids hate me for the correcting of everything they say. I just feel like they have a life time to speak incorrectly so, they should learn the right way the first time around. So, in my house there are no "yeahs", it is "yes", no "aints", it is "aren't or isn't. These are just basic things taught in Elementary schools. It has been said you can be a productive citizen here, having only a 5th grade education. Everything else is a polishing. Please don't mistake me saying that as thinking I would only send my kids to school until the 5th grade, but taught the right way from 1st to 5th you are equipped with the tools to help you succeed in life. That is when parents go back to being parents and teachers can go back to teaching knowledge rather than manners.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Pro: No need for winter tires. Tracks open all year. Finally can get a convert.

Cons: Massive open road is sure to increase juvenile behaviour.

Pro: No beer belly to be had as all spare time would be at beach. No need for any wetsuit equipment.
Pro: woo hoo - no more going to Petsmart to buy crickets for the lizards. They're plentiful and free too.

No need for warm clothing and no snow.
More than likely would be a one level house so no stairs.
Need less furniture.

Con: No hills to skateboard, but there're always parking garages.
Don't think I could ever build a job network like the one I have today.
It's always nice to know that NYC is a few hours drive away.
Not sure if I could live without a useable attic and basement. So, not
enough storage.
All cars better be in tip top shape, no public transport.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
It's always nice to know that NYC is a few hours drive away.
I like that one, tony, especially since I may end up doing Florida as a winter home and NYC as my main one (if I'm that lucky years from now!). I like the drive option as I sometimes get scared of flying. Not all the time, but a bad experience I had as a teenager traveling on Pan Am one day from Trinidad to NYC has sometimes created a little fear of flying since then. So if I'm to have homes in Florida and NYC and I don't feel like flying, it's definitely a plus/pro that the drive is doable and not as elaborate as to the Midwest or West Coast!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM

VV...I find myself typing their/they're/there mistakenly when I'm writing from an automatic (almost right brained) mode. I'll read over what I've typed and say, oops, there I go again...btw, I never did this when I was in school and lived mostly in my left brain.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM

I don't think she meant most of us - the other day I wrote hear instead of here. I think she is talking more to the issues with school. When kids sit down to right a paper and such. A lot of them write how they speak, which is awful! I'm younger so, I get the whole slang thing, but lord speak the language you were taught the way it was meant to be spoken. As I said before, there is a time and place for everything and the "wat up dawg" is not appropriate on an interview. My whole point is that we are a society who are becoming numb to these things, therefore, making it seem acceptable. It isn't and should never be!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Oh no Chelsa, she definitely referred to us...this is what I was responding to:

Quote:
Even on this board the numbers of mistaken its and it's or their and there are scary: how don't you know the difference between a verb and a possessive adjective or an adverb? I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, and indeed I would never point a mistake out to any of you personally. It is a shame none of you deserves from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area