Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
...and beaches.
Even though your conclusion is flawed, I'll take your stated pros of Florida anyday!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post

--limited employment opportunities outside of healthcare and a few service industries.

--payscale usually lower that in many other northern states.
Do these service industries include bars, clubs, and restaurants??

I know several people who go down during the winter and save up 4 or 5 k in cash while they work these industries and I have experience in them. Anyone who can confirm this or has some thoughts on it please PM me. I hear November is a good time to get down there to find a job for this field.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM

157 posts, read 487,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
One of the pluses of South Florida and indeed of all America is that here we aren't straightjacketed about language. We speak from the heart and we speak fervently. We say what's on our mind with a minimum of superfluous language. We recognize that language is sometimes fluid and we make allowance for regional, local colloquialisms and vernacular, and we have no problem incorporating into our spoken and written language the most recent additions and adaptations reflective of a relatively young nation on the go, a vibrant, eclectic country expanding its frontiers even as we speak.

To be sure, proper spoken and written language does have its place and time and America has a legacy of some of the most brilliant writers and speakers in the history of the English language - a language which we took from the English, stripped it of its unnecessary impediments, superfluity, outdated verbiage, and transformed it into a meaningful, easy, artistic form of communication.

Here on these South Florida boards and elsewhere we need not have an albatross around us dictating that every "t' must be crossed, every "i" dotted, every comma inserted. It's the content of the post that matters most as in the discussion of the enormous pros and cons of living in South Florida and in any part of our beautiful country.

True, we must teach kids in school and at home the proper structure, rules, use of the language so that they can communicate well at work, at school, in formal settings. They must understand grammar, sentence construction, good diction, the elements of proper writing style, etc. We must however also understand that in fast typing for a forum, speedy conversation, impromptu spontaneous dialogue, content takes precedence to formality if the latter impedes the former.

The expression of our innermost sentiemnts on these forums in helping people make the best decisions about life altering events supercedes any pretense at highfalutin grammatical correctness. Sure, we may not be invited to dine with the Queen.......but a bunch of tea thrown in a harbor centuries ago best demonstrates what we think of such an invitation and a cleavage to must use so-called proper collective nouns dictated by any royalty, country or continent sometimes still stuck in medieval times.

We in America continue to lead the way into the new millenium unencumbered by centuries of anachronistic language, culture, behavior impeding the progress of others struggling to keep apace with us.
What an incredible discourse analysis!

Last edited by harttogo; 10-01-2009 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: to show agreement

Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 PM

157 posts, read 487,766 times
On limited employment opportunities, I disagree with Moderate Guy. Let me be the devils advocate.
Look for work at Port Everglades and port of Miami. Be a tractor trailer driver at Port Everglaldes delivering gas and diesel fuel. Look for work at Ft; Laud. airport and MIA too. Drive a shuttle bus at the airports. Broward County frequently needs MTA bus drivers. Broward County schools need bus drivers. Be a driver for furniture and appliance delivery. Trouble shoot businesses websites. Work for a property maintenance company. Corrections officer for the County. We know doctors and nurses can find work, but there are many support jobs like x-ray tech, Ultra sound tech, ECG tech, venipuncture tech, pathology tech, house keeping, hospital maintenance,food service, billing dept.,security and on and on. Be a Pharmaceutical salesperson to doctors offices. Auto mechanics are needed. There are massive exports to South America at the ports and airports,so look for import export businesses. If one is bilingual, this will open many doors. I know that many of these jobs suck and it is often humiliating just applying for these jobs. Buy just to keep body and soul together, I am convinced someone can find work here.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Pros (when comparing to my hometown of Corpus Christi, TX):

Many institutions of higher education: BCC, FAU, NOVA, UM, FIU, Barry

Public Transportation that made it possible for me to attend college. Okay, I heard that it sucks and it does, but I was able to get tons of studying done. I have never been to NYC or any city with good public transportation so I don't know what I am missing.

Okay, this could be an advantage but I don't see too many people using it: Year round solar energy. Is it too expensive to buy solar panels? I can't place any on my rooftop (HOA) but I will look into it when I purchase my own home. Maybe home insurance will be too expensive with those hurricanes blowing things away like my windstorm panels. WILMA!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harttogo View Post
On limited employment opportunities, I disagree with Moderate Guy. Let me be the devils advocate.
Look for work at Port Everglades and port of Miami. Be a tractor trailer driver at Port Everglaldes delivering gas and diesel fuel. Look for work at Ft; Laud. airport and MIA too. Drive a shuttle bus at the airports. Broward County frequently needs MTA bus drivers. Broward County schools need bus drivers. Be a driver for furniture and appliance delivery. Trouble shoot businesses websites. Work for a property maintenance company. Corrections officer for the County. We know doctors and nurses can find work, but there are many support jobs like x-ray tech, Ultra sound tech, ECG tech, venipuncture tech, pathology tech, house keeping, hospital maintenance,food service, billing dept.,security and on and on. Be a Pharmaceutical salesperson to doctors offices. Auto mechanics are needed. There are massive exports to South America at the ports and airports,so look for import export businesses. If one is bilingual, this will open many doors. I know that many of these jobs suck and it is often humiliating just applying for these jobs. Buy just to keep body and soul together, I am convinced someone can find work here.
Don't forget cosmetologists.

Don't forget time-share sellers, don't forget hotel industry, don't forget event-planning in Miami, there is even a booming fashion industry in Miami that's growing even in these tough economic times (who would have known). I think there are a lot of opportunities if people look outside of the box.
The pay is lower though.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
The pay is lower though.

Glad you say that with a smile.... (j/k)

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Glad you say that with a smile.... (j/k)
The pay is lower though...
Better? (j/k).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 AM

16 posts, read 65,297 times
I have been here since June and I have yet to find any pros!! I am praying for a way out!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 13,678 times
I am considering moving to the Fort Lauderdale area. I am concerned it is too far south. Any thoughts on a single 30 something girl moving to that part of Florida. BTW, I do not speak spanish. Would that be a problem? I work in the Hotel Industry and thought I would have a good shot of getting a job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area