Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Well, I just want to get a majority idea of what exactly people hate about it here (if you do, which is most likely) condensed into a poll. Please voice your opinion no matter what it is.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-26-2008 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
It would be unfair to say I hate it. I state issues that I have with down here that I don't want to deal with anymore. There are worse places to live, sure, but why not find something that suits me, and has woes that I can deal with? I have friends that are in NYC, and one in France that are thinking about moving down here, and I give them my perspective of what I see going on here. Most have been discouraged, but I invite them to check for themselves. The question they have for me, is why am I leaving? I give them my perspective, my reasons and let them ask other people we have in the same circle that are leaving or that left.
I don't bash the place all the time, do I?

I think I'm fair most of the time. I'm looking at South Florida from my perspective having lived in other cities, state and even countries. I think I am very open minded and get along with all sorts of people, but have less tolerance for other things.

One of my issues is the language barrier. There is too much tolerance for it down here. I improve my situation by learning it, and trying to perfect it. Not by obligation, but because I want to. I also try learning other languages for fun. I learn as much as I can. I practice what I preach. You never stop learning. That's good, and all. But for me to go somewhere and being looked at in the wrong way because I dont speak Spanish initially, irks me. Arrogance to the fullest. I lived in NYC, and even Orlando (which has a high concentration of Puerto Ricans), and never had to deal with it. Nothing can be done about that at this point. If you complain, it's racist or non conformist. It's getting worse in that aspect. CNN Espanol, etc...Spanish commercials when I'm watching CNN in English. I dont see any of those commercials in GA or NC. That says something. I have plenty of latin friends that understand my and others' problem with that. I think it embarasses them as well.
Another issue, there is no metropolis here. If someone says downtown Miami, South Beach or Ft Lauderdale is one, save it....

This is a flat, lifeless suburb....Beach on one side, swamp on the other.
Not impressed. I also love the hills/inclines...South FLorida is flat, boring in that aspect.

Professionalism is not the same as I have dealt with up North, even Orlando. I'm not blaming any particular group or groups, but South Florida can use a lesson in professionalism. I'm not the only one complaining here. I'm not crazy, lol....Many know it. Locals do too.

Rude people galore. I dont know what to say at this point. I dont even want to hear people saying it's the Northerners that are the rude ones. It's hard to pinpoint who is doing what, but being residents down here makes South Florida as a whole the rudest city period. I had friendlier people in the subway on any given day in NYC. NO B.S. I was in GA/NC not too long ago, and I was amazed at how nice people were in Atlanta, Winston-Salem, Greensboro etc, and how I didn't have to use my horn at some lady blocking a lane on University on her cell phone while the light was green. (call me racist or sexist if you want, usually a latin woman, in my case and most people that I know feel the same way...Topic "du jour" at any given moment, for those who dont understand that, it means Topic of the day )

I'm not going to complain about crime. We're living in The USA for crying out loud. This is something we do well in America . Take it anyway you want to. You dont like the crime somewhere, move elsewhere. And it's still bound to happen where you live anyway. It's part of life in America, wherever you go. Try leaving this neighborhood that had one car stolen in it to move somewhere else, is not going help that. So crime is not one of them.

Public Transportation.....Complete zero, need I say more. They did not anticipate growth this fast, I know. But if you want to compete with the best of them, develop one fast....and do it right. No underground to do it or worry about, easier to do it above ground anyways. Get to work Dade and Broward Counties. The Question is...Who will take it, if they build it?
Will it work well? The way the sprawl is set up may not work...I guess they see it better than me.

I think I'm starting to like this place more, now that I've vented.....

Not..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 AM

305 posts, read 805,530 times
My main reason is jobs, just looking for something to do that will at least keep me above water while I go back to school.

I don't worry about the Hispanics since I'm black (no one really messes with us in the first place since we're supposed to be tough)

It is crowded, very crowded and schooling isn't great and alot of crime has picked up but I would say the main issues with South Florida is the jobs or lack of in certain areas.

I'm pretty sure most people have a problem with where they live. When I went to Dallas, as much jobs as they had at the time, it was hot and I mean really hot. I cannot image working a outside job in the middle of July there.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
I have no issues with the hispanics, it's the arrogant attitudes displayed over people not speaking their language. (Try going to Hialeah to a gas station, and ask something in English. Many have the look like "You don't speak, Espanish?" (as if I'm in Central or South America )...I'm like "Is this man/woman for real?"), then have to flip a bit of Spanish to get what I need or want. Not ideal. Not a problem anywhere else I've lived. If the French, Chinese, Haitian, Russian, (name any other nationality) can come and learn it here, so can they. No excuses. No preferential treatment for one group over another. I don't care how populated they are (Get with the English language already ).

As long as you take care of yourself, your community and are a decent citizen, I have no issues with anyone. I have quite a bit of latino/hispanic friends, and many agree with the language issue. Like I said, quite a bit are embarrassed with the issue.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,521 times
Compelled,

Why are you so concern, it seems like you spend most of your time on this forum defending Florida, so why do you care? You see the major problems down here, but yet you say or act like it happens everywhere, so deal with it, no big deal. This post is rubbish and a waste of time, and everyone knows it.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
This post is rubbish and a waste of time, and everyone knows it.

I wasn't going to trash anyones opinion anyway. There is nothing wrong with trying to promote a fair and balanced argument. A lot of people hate it here so I think it would be informative for people to read peoples opinions condensed into one thread, and try to decide whether or not this area is right for them. I'm glad that you acknowledged that I'm aware of the problems here. That doesn't mean the area is acceptable for nobody, however I admit it's not the most versatile area. My opinion is that too many people moved here within the past 20 years with unrealistic expectations, expecting some kind of paradise, largely malcontent types who lack inner happiness and came looking for a cure. I don't feel that this area was built on sustainable principles (both economically and environmentally) and I think that will be the downfall of the area. For the time being, it still can have a lot to offer if your job situation is right, you aren't racist, and your expectations are realistic.

MisterNY and 8 dollar, thanks for your opinions.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-26-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
You should have added "jobs that do not pay a living wage" to your poll.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
I hate it because of rude, non-diverse, school ruining, crime-causing, job taking, boring, bland, crowded, weather spoiling, traffic-causing, price-gouging Hispanics.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
As a Native Floridian (I know I am rear to find). I hate our weather, I have never gotten used to it. Those people who tell people you get used to it are lying or just super human. When I grew up in the 80s and 90s we had a change in the temperature to the point I could wear sweaters for more than a week. I remember going trick-or-treating and it being cold.

Miami 2007 Temperatures
60s - 6 days
70s - 45 days
80s - 245 days
90s - 68 days

So that is 313 days in the 80s or 90s in 2007, which to me is Hot and Humid weather. If we had 4 months of this I could handle it, but we have it for 10 month a year basically.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well, I just want to get a majority idea of what exactly people hate about it here (if you do, which is most likely) condensed into a poll. Please voice your opinion no matter what it is.
I don't hate it here, but sometimes understand why others do. It takes a big serving of tolerance, a very open-mind and a decent paying job to really enjoy life down here.

Despite my overall positive impression of the place, there are things I hate about South Florida. This is pretty much the list:

- Drivers: maybe not the worst in the world, but definitely the worst in the continental US. Road rage is a daily occurence. You are almost worse off for driving defensively here.
- Traffic: congestion is not as bad as DC, Chicago, LA, San Fran, or other places, but still ranks pretty poorly.
- Roads: an embarassment, really.
- High cost of living: may not be as bad as NYC or San Francisco, but wages in general don't support a quality of life you can get in other big cities like Chicago, Dallas or Atlanta. Needless to say, if it was affordable to live here, most people probably would.
- Poverty: some places here look like parts of the third world, chickens, window-bars and all.
- Customer service: walk into any Target, Best-buy, etc., and ask for help. It does boggle the mind how careless and apathetic people can be.
- Obsession with crime: the media and people obsess with almost maniacal hysteria of how bad it is here. Try Philly or Detroit, or the Southside of Chicago. Most crime here is confined to bad areas, domestic, or gang-related - like most everywhere!
- Lack of culture: okay, I know erudition exists here, and I know you have to put some effort into finding it, but this place pales in comparison to most any other city of the same size.
- Stupdity: whether some idiot who tries to out-maneuvre a railroad crossing sign, or a helmut-less bikerider thinking he's in an f***in Matrix movie, you can't help but wonder why Miami as a city hasn't earn a Darwin award.

I think your list covers most negatives, but I would rank most of your items as on par with anywhere else in the US with a population above 500K. I've never encountered any issues with arrogant hispanics, nor the Spanish language, so it still baffles me that it is such a hugely debated issue here. Of course, I spent 10 years of my life overseas, so maybe that puts things in perspective?

Cheers,

LIT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area