Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
You can go into the forum for every city and see that the percentage of people with a negative view is high. So either the entire US sucks OR a higher percentage of people who are disgruntle spend time posting about how life sucks than people who think life is good.
LOL..but quite true. I think.

I fall in the bored and would like to relocate group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:44 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I appreciate the personal views presented on this forum but I doubt they are really representative for this area or any area for that matter.

I have to seriously doubt that the average, middle of the road, working middle class person that enjoys South Florida is going to come on City-Data forums to post how much they love it. Its like taking a poll of High Times readers and asking them if marijuana should be legal. Of course 90% are going to say yes.

I'd guess the majority of the people here fall into one of these categories:

People looking to move to the area
People who live in the area but need more information about it
People concerned about issues in the area
People who are disgruntle about the area
People who are bored

The format just doesn't lend itself to the average person minding their business and enjoying life. You can go into the forum for every city and see that the percentage of people with a negative view is high. So either the entire US sucks OR a higher percentage of people who are disgruntle spend time posting about how life sucks than people who think life is good.

I disagree. I spend some time on the Asheville NC and Greenville SC forums and the mood is very happy; I also would say (for the most part) the same about Jacksonville and the Charlotte NC forums. So there are still some areas where people are generally hapy.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
The South Dakota board is the happiest board. They even have frequent meet-ups with around 30-40 regulars. Not too many people looking to relocate there and I guess if they're still there with all that weather to deal with, it must be because they like it. They all look out for one another too, esp when the weather is particularly bad.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
The South Dakota board is the happiest board. They even have frequent meet-ups with around 30-40 regulars. Not too many people looking to relocate there and I guess if they're still there with all that weather to deal with, it must be because they like it. They all look out for one another too, esp when the weather is particularly bad.
Interesting observation. When you consider how sparse the population is in South Dakota, the internet might be exactly what it takes to bring a community together.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post

That i've seen, I think Asheville NC and Greenville SC are the happiest. Check out Jax and Charlotte too - for big cities, pretty friendly and helpful.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Let me also add, that people arent going to voluntarily post how much they dont like a place after they have moved...for whatever the reason is lets face it, people will jump all over them..and I dont think alot of people are honest about it either..as they dont want to get ridiculed for their reasons behind being unhappy as people will say "oh it must be this it must be that" people arent like that blah blah...and for those that arent trolling and truly unhappy well why bother posting something they are going to thrown under the bus for..I think people should be positive in life and make the best out of their situations until they can change them, and when they do change them they can be happy....and everyone's happiness is different...but I do notice quiet a few of the boards that are so nice to go into and read because people are very nice and YES happy where they are

Last edited by Swimmom32; 02-13-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Let's differentiate - friendly, friendlier and friendlierer (lol) - here is the deal from my prospective - I have made lots of friends on this forum - I think that most people here consider me to be a friendly person. That being said, I wouldn't find people who didn't randomly wave at me as I pass by a park unfriendly. I would, however, wave back if they did - I don't always get on a grocery store line and talk to the person in front or behind me, but if they talk to me I will speak to them - I would consider someone rude - if when being waved at or spoken to the other person started cursing and ugly hand gestures were the reaction. Are there friendlier states absolutely but I don't think there is one specific place that is particularly unfriendly in Florida.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM

157 posts, read 601,148 times
As someone that has lived other places I can tell you that Florida is only bad if you have not been anywhere else or if your impression of a different place are based on childhood memories or vacation trip...because on either case everything feels perfect!
No place is perfect, but like they say...if you don't like it here, move

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM

30 posts, read 58,568 times
Speaking as someone who used to live in Miami Dade (Homestead) and moved to Virginia, I have to say I miss Florida. I will be moving back in the summer.

There are negatives that I don't miss...the way the whole government system works, or should I say doesn't work..everything from getting your car registered and a driver's license to getting anything done in the school system is completely ridiculous like a third world country. The toll roads suck big time and feeling like a minority most of the time gets annoying. BUT there are some positives as well. You can get a speeding ticket and pay a lawyer a small fee to go to court and get it dismissed (not in VA), you have more of the year to spend actually living life instead of shacking up in your house 4 months of the year because it's frickin freezing outside. YES it's really hot in S. Florida during the summer but that's what pools are for. Now, funny story about crime. I never had any problems while living in Miami. I moved to Virginia, with half a million dollar houses across the street from me and after about 2 weeks of moving in, my car gets broken into IN MY DRIVEWAY! Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area