Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you hate it? Check all that apply.
Rude people 117 40.07%
Too many Hispanics (or insert group you don't like) 87 29.79%
No diversity 21 7.19%
Crime 88 30.14%
Bad schools 72 24.66%
No jobs 78 26.71%
Too crowded 86 29.45%
Nothing to do/boring/bland 43 14.73%
Terrible weather 56 19.18%
Traffic 85 29.11%
I could tolerate the typical metro area problems here if it was cheaper. 58 19.86%
I don't hate it here 104 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 PM

74 posts, read 87,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post

- Stupdity: whether some idiot who tries to out-maneuvre a railroad crossing sign, or a helmut-less bikerider thinking he's in an f***in Matrix movie, you can't help but wonder why Miami as a city hasn't earn a Darwin award.

That's very true. This is Darwin's dream down here. May the strongest survive, an drive a Ferrari!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
I like SoFla -- especially Miami. Don't love it. I love NYC. I love Barcelona. I love Bali. I don't LOVE Miami and not so sure I more than tolerate most of Broward.

Lived in Atlanta and just moved BACK from San Diego, so I have some experience in similar size/type cities. SoFla is SoFla -- it is what it is. We couldn't wait to get back to Miami from San Diego -- to a city with a lot more character and little more culture. (Wife and I both born here. She had lived her whole life in Miami, I lived in NY before moving back to Fla in Cooper City.)
That's us, certainly understand it isn't for everyone.

But the thing that gets me is the people usually complaining the most about certain things -- say rude people -- are in MY experience some of the rudest people themselves!

Try and DO something about what you don't like. Drive less, volunteer, go someplace new in SoFla, be extra nice to people.
There is plenty to do here to make a richer, more interesting experience for yourself even if your waiting or trying to get out instead of bitching.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
My biggest complaint is the economy, both in south Florida and statewide. It is simply too expensive for what it is. I do not believe that Hispanics are the cause of our problems, but a convenient excuse for it. The problem originates at the governmental level, which supports and encourages the corrupt system we have. You can be nice to people, as I always try to, but there's just nothing to back you up. I am convinced that if south Florida's economic problems could be solved, people couldn't help but be nicer. Yet the poor living conditions of south Florida continue to drive the best residents out, leaving the lowest quality residents, and those who are stuck because of commitments. Using racial excuses is simply the easy way out. If the cost of living made sense, people would be happier and have time to volunteer in the community. But wasting 1/2 your income on living expenses and the other on taxes and commuting is not good for anyone.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:57 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times
Rude people.
Crime.
Bad schools.
Terrible weather (I don't like constant heat).

Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Default Why do you hate it here?

_

My gripe:

The skiing sucks.

_

Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 65,632 times
Talking Good One !!!

My gripe:

The skiing sucks.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 PM

65 posts, read 232,354 times
I love South Florida, the women here are gorgeous, the weather is always nice for a 8 o'clock stroll along the beach and I've never had my pickings at so many preforclosures since moving down here.

Can't complain about the hispanics since, I'm not around many up here in Palm Beach County.

Can't complain about the rude people since, I'm most likely one of those northerner transplants who everyone is blaming for the rudeness.

Can't complain about the diversity since, I don't really give a crap one way or the other...

Can't complain about the crime since, no crime where I live, and that's a long way from my humble beginnings in Jamaica Queens, NY.

Can't complain about bad schools since I don't have any kids...

Can't complain about no jobs since... Well, to be honest I do most of my business in Jersey, Chicago, DC, New York, and Philadelphia...

Can't complain about it being too crowed since I lived in buildings in downtown Chicago & New York where you can hear your neighbor answering the phone through the walls.

Can't complain about there being nothing to do since, I'm too busy working to notice what there is to do other than go out to eat.

Can't complain about there being terrible weather considering the last place I lived in has an average winter tempature of 24 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can't complain about terrible traffic since, well I avoid rush hour and everything is fine! (Plus the Florida Turnpike is a godsend...)

So... I guess that leaves me actually liking South Florida?

Yes, yes it does.

Spending the weekend in the big city is nice, and so is going to Aspen for five days to enjoy the ski slopes is probably amazing (never done it), but I do know that coming back home to the beaches and manicured gated communities does feel good.

REAL GOOD, GOD (or insert your deity/superficial manifestation of grandeur) BLESS SOUTH FLORIDA

Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm60616 View Post
I love South Florida, the women here are gorgeous, the weather is always nice for a 8 o'clock stroll along the beach and I've never had my pickings at so many preforclosures since moving down here.

Can't complain about the hispanics since, I'm not around many up here in Palm Beach County.

Can't complain about the rude people since, I'm most likely one of those northerner transplants who everyone is blaming for the rudeness.

Can't complain about the diversity since, I don't really give a crap one way or the other...

Can't complain about the crime since, no crime where I live, and that's a long way from my humble beginnings in Jamaica Queens, NY.

Can't complain about bad schools since I don't have any kids...

Can't complain about no jobs since... Well, to be honest I do most of my business in Jersey, Chicago, DC, New York, and Philadelphia...

Can't complain about it being too crowed since I lived in buildings in downtown Chicago & New York where you can hear your neighbor answering the phone through the walls.

Can't complain about there being nothing to do since, I'm too busy working to notice what there is to do other than go out to eat.

Can't complain about there being terrible weather considering the last place I lived in has an average winter tempature of 24 degrees Fahrenheit.

Can't complain about terrible traffic since, well I avoid rush hour and everything is fine! (Plus the Florida Turnpike is a godsend...)

So... I guess that leaves me actually liking South Florida?

Yes, yes it does.

Spending the weekend in the big city is nice, and so is going to Aspen for five days to enjoy the ski slopes is probably amazing (never done it), but I do know that coming back home to the beaches and manicured gated communities does feel good.

REAL GOOD, GOD (or insert your deity/superficial manifestation of grandeur) BLESS SOUTH FLORIDA

Nice to hear that your new residency in Florida is working out so well. How cute that you think what you described is the norm for most residents and posters on this forum.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Ah, now I understand you, in reading your prior posts I see you are only interested in the "finer things" and not interfacing with the common folk And I understand that we all feel that "our" complaints (about utility companies and language barriers) supercede the complaints of others. It's human nature.

Some quotes:
Here's the problem, wherever I go I only stay in the finest neighborhoods. I don't have time to worry about the people living in poverty or the crime ridden neighborhoods as it holds no concern to me.

You guys who complain that Miami has rude and unintelligent people are hilarious... I live in the wealthiest neighborhood in Chicago BY FAR

Piper High School (Sunrise, Fl)... the only institution of learning where you're guaranteed to lose 2 IQ points per diem by simply walking through the front door...

I'm not looking for walking friendly locales, I just have this affinity about high places, and the better the neighborhood I'll be in the better contacts I can work up.

I've lived in Fort Lauderdale for four years back in 2001 and I'm NOT INTERESTED in the humdrum, mundane, middle class Broward County

But then:

Imagine having 3,000+ sq ft... my bill was about 40% more than yours and I don't want to hear anything about efficient appliances as they're all new. Only two people and everything is under one year old, plus no televisions in the house, and almost always keep the blinds closed. You know in cities the legislature can actually limit how much the power company gouges you? That would be nice here, or at least cheaper competition...

Honestly, I'm still in Chicago and I'm not moving in until Thursday, but I remember saying the Spanish language thing was not a big deal until I was dealing with real estate agents that didn't speak English and had this knack for time wasting. I NOW know what everyone means....

So OK, you chose the jet setting town of Royal Palm Beach with est population of 30,800 in 2006, 2005 median income of 58,500 and median home value of 229,300

over ....

humdrum mundane middle class Ft Lauderdale with a population of 152,000 in 2006, and 2005 median income of 44,000 and 2005 median home value of 344,800 ?Perhaps there are "better business contacts" out there like up high in the downtown penthouses that I'm unaware of and ame definitely going down to check it out, thanks!

Cute AND quaint, bless your heart. Stay tuned for more revelations as residency contines LOL

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-30-2008 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM

65 posts, read 232,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Ah, now I understand you, in reading your prior posts I see you are only interested in the "finer things" and not interfacing with the common folk And I understand that we all feel that "our" complaints (about utility companies and language barriers) supercede the complaints of others. It's human nature.

Some quotes:
Here's the problem, wherever I go I only stay in the finest neighborhoods. I don't have time to worry about the people living in poverty or the crime ridden neighborhoods as it holds no concern to me.

You guys who complain that Miami has rude and unintelligent people are hilarious... I live in the wealthiest neighborhood in Chicago BY FAR

Piper High School (Sunrise, Fl)... the only institution of learning where you're guaranteed to lose 2 IQ points per diem by simply walking through the front door...

I'm not looking for walking friendly locales, I just have this affinity about high places, and the better the neighborhood I'll be in the better contacts I can work up.

I've lived in Fort Lauderdale for four years back in 2001 and I'm NOT INTERESTED in the humdrum, mundane, middle class Broward County

But then:

Imagine having 3,000+ sq ft... my bill was about 40% more than yours and I don't want to hear anything about efficient appliances as they're all new. Only two people and everything is under one year old, plus no televisions in the house, and almost always keep the blinds closed. You know in cities the legislature can actually limit how much the power company gouges you? That would be nice here, or at least cheaper competition...

Honestly, I'm still in Chicago and I'm not moving in until Thursday, but I remember saying the Spanish language thing was not a big deal until I was dealing with real estate agents that didn't speak English and had this knack for time wasting. I NOW know what everyone means....

So OK, you chose the jet setting town of Royal Palm Beach with est population of 30,800 in 2006, 2005 median income of 58,500 and median home value of 229,300

over ....

humdrum mundane middle class Ft Lauderdale with a population of 152,000 in 2006, and 2005 median income of 44,000 and 2005 median home value of 344,800 ?Perhaps there are "better business contacts" out there like up high in the downtown penthouses that I'm unaware of and ame definitely going down to check it out, thanks!

Cute AND quaint, bless your heart. Stay tuned for more revelations as residency contines LOL
Wow, you're a loser... Try and find a better way to use your time... And yes I did choose RPB, I'm only 5-10 minutes from the airport, and picked up a new construction house in a gated community for dirt cheap.

And yes, I was frustrated by the spanish real estate agents... In Miami.

Secondly, I'm for free market competition. Where you have a choice over all utilities, spend less time worrying about me and more time trying to figure out why your life sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area