Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Possible to build another heavy rail system for Broward County?
YES 7 63.64%
NO 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 12:38 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I’m pretty sure that if Broward County invested in a heavy rail system, although the system may lose money by itself, the overall revenue for Broward will increase, as well as productivity and vitality, and while I didn’t want to broach this subject, real estate values can increase, meaning that Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood would have to force themselves to be more dense not like NY and SF, but somewhat similar to what Miami has right now.

When Miami gets even denser, Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood have to get just as dense, if not denser than Miami. It’s only destiny that Miami grows bigger, so Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood can grow with the rest of South FL.

Invest = "may lose money" but revenue increases?

A. Broward doesn't have a nickel of extra money
B. They could better spend the money they already lose
C. Real estate can increase completely on its own without the imaginary rail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 12:42 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
South Florida actually has five rail services: Metrorail, Metromover, Amtrak, Tri-Rail, and Brightline. 7 if you include the Skytrain and the E-Mover at MIA.
Thx, I just see the Green tri-rail, and Orange Brite Line ones most know about. I knwo they're both losing money if you back out gov't subsidies.

Are any of the others making real profit w/o gov't handouts? I doubt it.

Work from home will kill off mass transit, so its an even worse investent now than it used to be.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:25 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The road is paid for with gas taxes........you pump, you pay!

Keep in mind it is for personal transportation, its for commerce (trucking), local business and community buses so literally everyone uses the roads unlike tri-rail that only 6400 people a day use on weekdays.
LOL. No, it isn't. It's not even close.

Your gas taxes only pay for the state and federal roads and those taxes only cover 63% of those expenses. You can verify this in 5 minutes by looking up the FDOT budget for any year. Those roads are also only 11% of the whole network.

So all of your gas taxes only cover 63% of the costs on 11% of the road network.

The rest of the money for highways comes from the general fund and all of the money for the rest of the streets and roads comes from property taxes.

6400 people per day?

6400 cars * 30 ft = 192,000 ft. / 5280 ft. = 36 miles / 3 lanes = a 12 mile long traffic jam twice a day.

That's why we have trains.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
LOL. No, it isn't. It's not even close.

Your gas taxes only pay for the state and federal roads and those taxes only cover 63% of those expenses. You can verify this in 5 minutes by looking up the FDOT budget for any year. Those roads are also only 11% of the whole network.

So all of your gas taxes only cover 63% of the costs on 11% of the road network.

The rest of the money for highways comes from the general fund and all of the money for the rest of the streets and roads comes from property taxes.

6400 people per day?

6400 cars * 30 ft = 192,000 ft. / 5280 ft. = 36 miles / 3 lanes = a 12 mile long traffic jam twice a day.

That's why we have trains.
Don't let the math hurt your head:

A. Not all of those riders would buy cars
B. 30 ft? 20ft would be a better average unless you think there will be 15 ft between cars in a traffic jam
C. You do realize some of those cars are already on the roads, people drive to the train station/park.
D. Using your math, would you want 63% of something paid for by gas tax or be on the hook for something that only a few use and yet it still loses 100 million a year?

Old 11-06-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Don't let the math hurt your head:

A. Not all of those riders would buy cars
So wait, you don't want to fund transit but you don't want everyone to drive? Explain how that works.

Quote:
B. 30 ft? 20ft would be a better average unless you think there will be 15 ft between cars in a traffic jam
You can find an aerial view of traffic online. 30 ft. is already extremely generous.

Quote:
C. You do realize some of those cars are already on the roads, people drive to the train station/park.
LOL. Sure, OK, so on their way to work they pass the train station that is now closed and then what do they do?

Quote:
D. Using your math, would you want 63% of something paid for by gas tax or be on the hook for something that only a few use and yet it still loses 100 million a year?
Not *my* math. It's FDOTs math - you haven't told us how much the road costs to maintain every year + ancillary costs not in the budget like police and fire, how much it would cost to build new roads for those 6,400 cars and how much to maintain them every year, then how much are the increased costs of delays.

Once you answer those then we can compare losses.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
So wait, you don't want to fund transit but you don't want everyone to drive? Explain how that works.

You can find an aerial view of traffic online. 30 ft. is already extremely generous.

LOL. Sure, OK, so on their way to work they pass the train station that is now closed and then what do they do?

Not *my* math. It's FDOTs math - you haven't told us how much the road costs to maintain every year + ancillary costs not in the budget like police and fire, how much it would cost to build new roads for those 6,400 cars and how much to maintain them every year, then how much are the increased costs of delays.

Once you answer those then we can compare losses.
You seem to have all the answers but the fact of the matter is the roads are mandatory, the rail is a "loss leader pipe dream that not nearly enough people use"

Can Florida survive without roads...............no

Can Florida shelve tri-rail and be just fine........yes, plus 100 million richer annually!

Old 11-07-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You seem to have all the answers but the fact of the matter is the roads are mandatory, the rail is a "loss leader pipe dream that not nearly enough people use"

Can Florida survive without roads...............no

Can Florida shelve tri-rail and be just fine........yes, plus 100 million richer annually!
That's projection my friend. I have some answers because I work in transportation. But then I also know what I don't know. You, on the other hand, seem to be pretending to be an expert on something you don't actually understand. You can't even tell us where those extra cars will go.

Big cities need roads and rails. Show me a metro area bigger than Tampa - anywhere in the world - that doesn't have a rail system and you'll be showing me Detroit or some 3rd world death trap.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:40 PM

23 posts, read 14,872 times
No one’s interested in your rapid transit plan. We like the independence and autonomy of our cars. And… we don’t want to deal with the scum who make regular use of public transit.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:35 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx, I just see the Green tri-rail, and Orange Brite Line ones most know about. I knwo they're both losing money if you back out gov't subsidies.

Are any of the others making real profit w/o gov't handouts? I doubt it.

Work from home will kill off mass transit, so its an even worse investent now than it used to be.
Public transit isn’t supposed to be a profit making business. If it was, it would be failing entirely. The purpose is actually to provide a service, not to generate profits.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:47 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
That's projection my friend. I have some answers because I work in transportation. But then I also know what I don't know. You, on the other hand, seem to be pretending to be an expert on something you don't actually understand. You can't even tell us where those extra cars will go.

Big cities need roads and rails. Show me a metro area bigger than Tampa - anywhere in the world - that doesn't have a rail system and you'll be showing me Detroit or some 3rd world death trap.
Detroit does have a people mover system, unless for the purposes of this thread it doesn't count lol.

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 11-09-2023 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area