Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 11,949 times

Advertisements

I'm probably going to be here
for a few years and trying to
refocus on my purpose for
being here.

It's so much negativity going
on, that I wanted to inspire
someone to be happy.

Well if there isn't anything
positive then what's negative?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 09:55 PM

72 posts, read 66,095 times
December thru April's pretty nice.

It is what you make of it. I think giving us more information would help. How old are you? What are your interests? Why are you here? etc...

Old 09-23-2020, 11:32 PM

278 posts, read 316,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrages View Post
December thru April's pretty nice.

It is what you make of it. I think giving us more information would help. How old are you? What are your interests? Why are you here? etc...
*Mid oct -april

Old 09-24-2020, 12:12 AM

72 posts, read 66,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
*Mid oct -april
I feel like the last couple of winters the months of October and November were so HOT

Old 09-24-2020, 06:53 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,821 times
I would say the best thing about living in South Florida is the clean fresh air, clear blue-green ocean water, blue-blue skies and fluffy white clouds, and beautiful tall palms swaying in the tropical breeze.

California can't even claim having all of these natural qualities that you can enjoy almost every single every day here in South Florida.

PS: and because we don't have freezing winters our roads don't have potholes and cars don't rust out long before their time!

Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Hot is great. AC was invented long ago when you want to escape it. When it's hot, sounds like pool/boating weather to me!

Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM

676 posts, read 721,084 times
There's positive and negatives in all places. No escaping that.

I love being near the beaches. I was always a summer person so being in the hot weather doesn't bother me. I don't miss the seasons, and I don't miss the snow. At all. Everything is super air conditioned here. So much so that I keep a sweater in my car. And the winters here are to die for. The weather is magnificent. Also there are a lot more sunny days here than where I came from. I believe the sunnier weather has been very healthy for me.

There's lots of things to do, as well. Well pre corona anyway, but still a busy area. Of course with all this comes the negatives, but I am very able to overlook the negatives because, for me, the good outweighs the bad. Everyone is different, thank goodness, or we would all be in the same place. Diversity is a good thing.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,142 times
Default I would not

Born and raised in Dade/Broward county. As I sit here in beautiful Citrus County I am smiling. Our home we sold in Broward is due to close next week and so is the new home we purchased up here. Yesterday we got our insurance quote for homeowners. We paid $4700 per year down in Broward with no claims. Our home here is newer, bigger, on one acre in a beautiful development with a pool and fireplace. Our premium? $1749.00 a year. And State Farm writes their own policy’s up here...no Citizens garbage. Our taxes will be go from $5400 in Broward to $3100 here. Our vehicle insurance will be lower. Our food costs so far seem lower. For someone who does not need the beach, nightlife, or the constant worry about crime, it is great. In our area we have everything WE need. If need be, Ocala is 30 minutes away...Orlando and Tampa about an hour away. The positives far outweigh the negatives. We still have family back in Broward so a four hour drive is not like the end of the world. People are genuinely friendly and nice, they actually apologize to you in the store if they turn into the aisle in front of you. For me personally...I have in the past, and would in the future, drive an hour to go to work if I knew that I had peace and quiet once I came back to my home.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:36 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanative59 View Post
Born and raised in Dade/Broward county. As I sit here in beautiful Citrus County I am smiling. Our home we sold in Broward is due to close next week and so is the new home we purchased up here. Yesterday we got our insurance quote for homeowners. We paid $4700 per year down in Broward with no claims. Our home here is newer, bigger, on one acre in a beautiful development with a pool and fireplace. Our premium? $1749.00 a year. And State Farm writes their own policy’s up here...no Citizens garbage. Our taxes will be go from $5400 in Broward to $3100 here. Our vehicle insurance will be lower. Our food costs so far seem lower. For someone who does not need the beach, nightlife, or the constant worry about crime, it is great. In our area we have everything WE need. If need be, Ocala is 30 minutes away...Orlando and Tampa about an hour away. The positives far outweigh the negatives. We still have family back in Broward so a four hour drive is not like the end of the world. People are genuinely friendly and nice, they actually apologize to you in the store if they turn into the aisle in front of you. For me personally...I have in the past, and would in the future, drive an hour to go to work if I knew that I had peace and quiet once I came back to my home.
That's great that you are enjoying your new city, but the OP was asking about things people find positive about South Florida. Not a contrast between South Florida and some other part of Florida, highlighting the negative aspects of Broward or Miami.

Personally, I haven't lived in other parts of Florida, only visited. But I originally come from up north and there's a lot to like about South Florida. The climate, of course, is one of the big factors. Despite the threat of Hurricanes/Tropical Storms (which threaten many places, not just SFL) the climate here is fantastic. There are a multitude of fun outdoor activities that can be enjoyed year-round. The cities are large, growing, quite cosmopolitan, and getting more diverse by the day. The parks here are beautiful and well maintained. No income tax (but that's all Florida, still a plus). People in South Florida are not as high-strung as up north IMO. You're close to other nice parts of Florida (i.e. The Keys, Naples, Orlando).

Old 09-25-2020, 11:31 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Native View Post
What is positive about living in South Florida ?
Warm temperatures year round, plenty of water from both heavens and earth, relatively temperate in May-September period compared to parts above frost line and probably also compared to Gulf coast cities and towns (e.g. Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans and Houston), all in a no state income tax state on US soil.

The rest is about the same as anywhere else. So if the above has no value to you, then you might as well live anywhere else. Of course many people may feel tied here because of family but, again, that is the same as anywhere else.

Humidity can be a mixed bag, some people hate it, some people complain about it (often the same people who simply complain, complain, complain ... about anything anywhere) and some people do not mind it. Personally I prefer it to the dry heat of the desert.

If I had to leave, I suppose my first choice would be Texas, probably San Antonio or thereabouts.

I stopped watching television in 1993. No negativity.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area