Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:04 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times

Advertisements

Everyone will have something different to say. It depends on where you're from and what you like. This is a subjective topic. As an ex South Florida resident:

Winter weather (Summers are not the best: hot, rainy and hurricanes)
Roads (Better than anything in the Northeast)
Cuisines/Food (Decent variety)
Parks (well maintained for the most part)
Well built homes (necessary strict building codes, due to hurricanes)

Since the question is about positives, I'll refrain from the negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 PM

397 posts, read 318,988 times
- Warm, dry winters, overall weather from November-April
- Warm water, you can go to the beach pretty much any day of the year, except for the odd cold front day
- Good looking women (or men if that's your preference) with nice bodies, stay in shape to wear summer clothes all-year long
- Lots of different cuisines from around the world, or regional cuisines from the US. Authentic food made by immigrants or people from those other parts of the US. South Florida is where I first tried many good food items from around the world and the US that a lot of people never get to experience or haven't even heard of
- Best weather on the East Coast. Every major city on the EC has hot, humid summers. Much rather deal with a hot, humid summer as the worst weather pattern as opposed to a cold, windy winter
- Lots of different cultures from around the world and even the US. If you're interested in languages, you can learn and practice Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, German, Russian, Arabic, Thai, etc.
- Home prices are reasonable and homes tend to be newer and updated
- People tend to be in a good mood, fairly friendly, maybe not exactly Southern, but more hospitable than the Northeast
- No pot holes, your car won't get buried in snow, no shoveling, that sort of thing
- You can sort of be home away from home, you can find people from your area, if you like a certain sports team for instance from out of town, you can probably find a sports bar that caters to that fan base, etc.

That said, there certainly are some drawbacks, which I don't really want to get into right now for the purposes of this thread, but needless to say, there's a reason why I moved back to Boston after almost ten years in South Florida. But there are still plenty of things I miss, and I could see myself back some day, at least part time...

Old 10-20-2020, 05:38 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
I am a native and can't think of many positives, but we do have some top notch medical facilities. I am getting older, so that is important to me. Air quality is pretty good. Lots of wildlife and nature preserves.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:15 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am a native and can't think of many positives, but we do have some top notch medical facilities. I am getting older, so that is important to me. Air quality is pretty good. Lots of wildlife and nature preserves.
Then why not seek out an area with more positives?

Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Then why not seek out an area with more positives?
Because, not everyone has vast financial resources to pick up and move whenever??? Especially during this pandemic when jobs and money are very tight???

Get a grip. Not everyone is as fortunate as you are.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 PM

72 posts, read 65,996 times
I worked and lived in Los Angeles for 6 months last year and that made me realize how excellent our air quality is... something that is probably often overlooked

Old 10-29-2020, 09:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
A lot actually, number one being not freezing your as.. of in winter for starters.

A gorgeous winter climate, beaches on your doorstep, good eateries and bar lifestyle, boating, scuba, fishing, etc. The beautiful sky in the evening and mornings and the fresh salt air. The lush vegetation everywhere even in winter.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:46 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Me not living there any longer.

Moved to south Florida in 1975, grew up there, went to college, and moved away in 1990.
All of my friends who went away to college were glad to be gone. I never could understand it while I still lived there and went to school locally. There was the great weather, great restaurants, and in spite of the snowbirds & blue hairs; great mixture of people.

After moving away and realizing all of the crap you just learn to live with or just adjust to it; you begin to appreciate NOT living there anymore.

Find a good place, get to know your neighbors, be odd and actually speak to them, and give yourself plenty of time to get from point-A to point-B.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:02 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
The positives are the only tropical climate in the continental United States and typically beautiful weather from November to March and a job market and urban area that a lot of people want or need especially if relocating from places like New York.

But if you can do with slightly cooler temperatures and a more suburban experience, Naples and Sarasota are much nicer places to live in my opinion, especially for retirees or families. Young singles not so much. They tend to prefer urban areas like Miami until they settle down and need to consider schools. But generally you get most of the advantages of living in South Florida without a lot of the traffic and craziness in southwest Florida.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:43 PM

626 posts, read 463,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Me not living there any longer.

Moved to south Florida in 1975, grew up there, went to college, and moved away in 1990.
All of my friends who went away to college were glad to be gone. I never could understand it while I still lived there and went to school locally. There was the great weather, great restaurants, and in spite of the snowbirds & blue hairs; great mixture of people.

After moving away and realizing all of the crap you just learn to live with or just adjust to it; you begin to appreciate NOT living there anymore.

Find a good place, get to know your neighbors, be odd and actually speak to them, and give yourself plenty of time to get from point-A to point-B.

Good luck.

Your location is in Alabama? I lol'd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area