Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:15 PM

148 posts, read 682,514 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Compelled. I went through that area to check out some schools and it seemed that things changed really quickly around Dixie Hwy. Broward seems like a patch-work quilt of neighborhoods.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
Thanks, Compelled. I went through that area to check out some schools and it seemed that things changed really quickly around Dixie Hwy. Broward seems like a patch-work quilt of neighborhoods.
It depends on where in Broward. When you get out west of about University Dr the patch work stops. It's also distinctively more boring although I don't mind coming home to that. The things do change because it's really close to Oakland Park. There is a nice part called North Andrew Gardens but most of Oakland Park is run down.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM

19 posts, read 106,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browardboi954 View Post
deepside - (home sweet home, lauderhill with some parts of sunrise, bordered by sunrise blvd on the south, oakland park on the north, and roughly between university on the west and US.441 (state road 7) on the east.. roughest parts would be 56th street, 60th, and 64th.. but dont get me wrong i live in inverary and i love it here)

shallowside - (eastern lauderhill, area surrounding the lauderhill mall around 441, personally i dont think as violent as deepside, probably because of more elderly people due to lauderdale lakes being right up the road at oakland park and 441)

melrose park - (ft. lauderdale, the entrance i use is on 441 between the I-95 and broward blvd, right infront of plantation inn)

washington park - (ft. lauderdale around broward blvd)

franklin park - (ft. lauderdale around broward blvd)

sunland park - (ft.lauderdale, its on sunrise blvd once you pass US.441 going east, once you pass the swapshop its on your right-hand side)

sistrunk - (ft. lauderdale, infamous for its crackheads, prostitutes and transvestites.. but also for the wonderful sistrunk festival which i attend every year in february/march.. located between broward blvd and sunrise blvd.. sistrunk turns into 6th street if im not mistaken)

dixie court projects a.k.a. midway - (good ol' midway, probably the most heated (street talk for crawling with popo(street talk for police you dummy) since the ft.lauderdale police station is right down the street.. the dixie court projects are on broward blvd. and 11th, on your left if your headed towards downtown/los olas

tater town - (i love tata town, they got a great BBQ on MLK street right by the public service building on broward blvd.. basically tater town is on broward blvd. and 27th, on your left if your headed downtown

and i've noticed riverland is getting pretty gully.. - (riverland is right across the street from tater town, on broward blvd. right behind the gas station (its either a hess or a sunoko i believe) right near the tri-rail trainstation

DAMN if thats not detailed enough i dont know what is.. ay it aint all good but i LOVE the hood
you forgot one of the worst parts of deepside which is the corna store on 55th and 19th i think

Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
what place isn't though?

Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Eh, if he is talking about the east side he is right it is more of a patchwork than most places. The west side isn't really but heres the thing about Broward. It has some bad places but they aren't that big or consume half of the county (yet) like in some places, but it still has an area where a large amount of the population lives that's almost entirely good (west of University, north of Pembroke Rd), that's why on a national scale it's crime rate does not rank that high and why it ranks lower than Dade or Palm Beach. Most cities have a dividing line between complete slum and then outside of that it's about 80% nice (Detroit comes to mind, Jacksonville Northside versus Southside), some others have a complete mix with no defined lines (Orlando and Atlanta come to mind). We have defined lines between 90% good and 50-50. I don't understand why there is so much bitching about the crime here and there are so many places where it is actually worse, some which seem to be perceived as being better for some reason. Our crime rate is pretty midpack/average as a WHOLE, which doesn't mean there are no bad areas, every city has bad areas, we just proportionally have less. We have several cities here that rank among the nations 100 safest in Broward (Coral Springs, Davie, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, Plantation, Tamarac, Coconut Creek). We also have a couple that rank pretty bad on national the scale (Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach) while the rest of the really above average crime areas are small and aren't far from better areas (Carver Ranches and Royal Poinciana in Hollywood, Oakland Park, deepside Lauderhill, NW Ft. Lauderdale, etc). Not saying those places aren't bad though...

No place is crime free however...want to know the safest place in the US? The place that people perceive as being the worst for some reason- the northeast. A lot of So Cal is also very safe despite it's reputation.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-25-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
Yep compelled your right just look at the crime stats for cities like boston, providence, portland maine they have very low crime to cities of comparable size.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:00 PM

66 posts, read 375,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokilla View Post
you forgot one of the worst parts of deepside which is the corna store on 55th and 19th i think
i mentioned that because 55th is between university and 441, and 19th is between sunrise and oakland park.. you talking right by the police station, i leave right down the street homie

Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 AM

124 posts, read 698,309 times
^^^i used to live on 56th and 12, dat was drug centrel bak in da mid 90s

Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
I remember I stopped at that corner store to get something to drink and this cat outside asked me if I wanted to buy some weed. So after I gave him the $5...nah, I'm kidding but yeah that store was a problem. Not sure if it still is.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 PM

66 posts, read 375,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I remember I stopped at that corner store to get something to drink and this cat outside asked me if I wanted to buy some weed. So after I gave him the $5...nah, I'm kidding but yeah that store was a problem. Not sure if it still is.
dam a $5 wildstyle, you should go for the good stuff
but to answer your thought, its pretty much still a problem, there was a stabbing in the back last weekend.. somebody got off at the wrong bus stop..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area