Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,973,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
Schools are huge for us- my son goes to Byram Hills (in Armonk) and it is top rated. I know I won't find the same in Florida, but, I would want "better" than the "average" schools. For us it's more of a lifestyle change - right now at 20 degrees, NY is not our idea of fun! We are not winter people at all (though, I've been here all my life!) - Westchester is gorgeous, but my town is sleeeepyyyyy. I need a little more going on. I think Weston and Parkland sound to be offering the balance I need. Plus, I went to the Weston website and was so excited to see the diversity in shops, restaurants, cafes! I CAN'T wait to go back to FL.
We moved from northern Westchester (Cortlandt Manor) to Weston 7 years ago. Schools will be a big shock to you. Although the schools in Weston and Parkland are better than the other crappy schools down here, you will still think they suck. Just be prepared. My kids went to public school until they were in 6th grade, then we opted for private.

Weston and Parkland are both nice. They are different. Both are affluent. Weston is more of a community than Parkland. Weston has lots of people who speak spanish. If that will bother you, you will find it difficult to get along here. Parkland is prettier than Weston, but lacks the community feel of Weston. Western Davie is also pretty but lacks the community feel as well. Someone mentioned Cooper City, but if you are living in Armonk I do not think it will be upscale enough for you.

I would stay away from Coral Springs. There are some really nice developments there, but if you want an upscale feel stick with Parkland or Weston (or even Boca Raton). My hubby commutes to FL from Weston. He has no problems with the commute, especially since both of us used to commute to NYC from the Croton station.

$700K should get you a pretty nice, but not top of the line, home. Houses on my block have sold in the $700's recently (after the price declines). Figure around 4000 sf, no land, but a pretty nice house with some upgrades.

You really should rent in Weston or Parkland to see how you feel about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,967,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
We moved from northern Westchester (Cortlandt Manor) to Weston 7 years ago. Schools will be a big shock to you. Although the schools in Weston and Parkland are better than the other crappy schools down here, you will still think they suck. Just be prepared. My kids went to public school until they were in 6th grade, then we opted for private.

Weston and Parkland are both nice. They are different. Both are affluent. Weston is more of a community than Parkland. Weston has lots of people who speak spanish. If that will bother you, you will find it difficult to get along here. Parkland is prettier than Weston, but lacks the community feel of Weston. Western Davie is also pretty but lacks the community feel as well. Someone mentioned Cooper City, but if you are living in Armonk I do not think it will be upscale enough for you.

I would stay away from Coral Springs. There are some really nice developments there, but if you want an upscale feel stick with Parkland or Weston (or even Boca Raton). My hubby commutes to FL from Weston. He has no problems with the commute, especially since both of us used to commute to NYC from the Croton station.

$700K should get you a pretty nice, but not top of the line, home. Houses on my block have sold in the $700's recently (after the price declines). Figure around 4000 sf, no land, but a pretty nice house with some upgrades.

You really should rent in Weston or Parkland to see how you feel about the area.
Good advice. The schools aren't going to be good here compared to up that way. West Davie has little ugly patches too, although despite this it seems to be replacing Coral Springs position as a family area as its schools decline and Davie's schools rise, especially middle and high school. Cooper City has the best schools but like you said, still not as upscale. Definitely dead-center middle American despite a higher reported median income than Weston.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 AM

440 posts, read 1,497,823 times
Quote:

Yes , Weston is approximately 50% Hispanic .. but most are professional , educated and relatively affluent and unlike in Miami the majority can and will speak in English . My sister lives in Weston ( she loves it ) and has neighbors from Chile , Argentina and Colombia all are very nice and she has established solid friendships with everyone . She also has neighbors from New York , New Jersey and California and she actually claims that her Hispanic neighbors are friendlier than her "white" neighbors .... go figure !!!

I visit her frequently and really like Weston quite a bit ... but I have noticed that many of the transplanted New Yorkers are actually quite unfriendly and that is probably the only downside that I see to Weston .

Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 PM

124 posts, read 441,603 times
Quote:

This is great. Thank you so much for your comments. If needed, I can do more than 700s but I'm not sure I want to given current market conditions. I am amazed at what my realtor showed me this past August vs. what is available now for the same price. Only thing is, do you get anything with land in Weston? What is considered a "bigger lot"? I have an acre in NY and was hoping for may .25 acre in FL. I will certainly rent before buying so that I can look, but would rather narrow down to a town. My main concern is having my son change schools over and over again. It can be very difficult for an 8 year old.

As far as speaking spanish - since both my husband and I are spanish we just happen to do very well and can afford where we live. I welcome a bit more of diversity. Armonk is very homogenous and it gets boring. Only thing is I would not like to go to a "less afluent" community.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Only thing is, do you get anything with land in Weston? What is considered a "bigger lot"? I have an acre in NY and was hoping for may .25 acre in FL.
If you want more then a quarter acre for 700 grand, look into some of the newer estate communities in Davie like Long Lake Ranches or even out into the "Real" ranches. Most of the newer homes in Weston aren't more than 1/10th an acre, but many of the homes on the older Bonaventure side of Weston have more land, about a fourth an acre, which is considered "bigger". In general, if you want land, put some consideration into Davie, in which most of the neighborhoods offers larger lots.

Oh, and affluence has nothing to do with demographics in Broward County. It's all about class. Weston has the large Hispanic population but remains one of the cleanest and safest cities in the country. The crummy trailer parks, for example, in Dania Beach or east Davie have similar demographics. Cooper City and west Davie are also around 20% Hispanic and are actually attracting a growing Asian Indian and Chinese population, and Weston is actually closer to 40% Hispanic, 40% white and has a decent sized black, Asian Indian and Korean population filling the rest in.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,973,642 times
Quote:
This is great. Thank you so much for your comments. If needed, I can do more than 700s but I'm not sure I want to given current market conditions. I am amazed at what my realtor showed me this past August vs. what is available now for the same price. Only thing is, do you get anything with land in Weston? What is considered a "bigger lot"? I have an acre in NY and was hoping for may .25 acre in FL. I will certainly rent before buying so that I can look, but would rather narrow down to a town. My main concern is having my son change schools over and over again. It can be very difficult for an 8 year old.

As far as speaking spanish - since both my husband and I are spanish we just happen to do very well and can afford where we live. I welcome a bit more of diversity. Armonk is very homogenous and it gets boring. Only thing is I would not like to go to a "less afluent" community.
Lots are very small here compared to Westchester. You can probably find a quarter acre in the 700's though. If you are looking for a community with many upscale spanish speakers Weston will fit the bill very well. I understand what you mean about Armonk. My SIL lives there. Weston is definitely NOT homogenous!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 51,687 times
I'll jump in here with a question if I may. I've just taken a job in Hollywood and will be moving my family - wife and two daughters, aged 7 and 11 - at the end of the school year. I've tentatively zeroed in on Parkland and was wondering which of its numerous communities would be best for my kids, i.e. full of other kids. Any thoughts?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,252,532 times
Parkland is nicer than Coral Springs IMO. I don't know about Weston.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,000 times
'll jump in here with a question if I may. I've just taken a job in Hollywood and will be moving my family - wife and two daughters, aged 7 and 11 - at the end of the school year. I've tentatively zeroed in on Parkland and was wondering which of its numerous communities would be best for my kids, i.e. full of other kids. Any thoughts?

My husband and I are also relocating to Holly Wood, Florida and are considering parkland with our 3 kids ages 13, 12 and 9 (girl, boy, boy). Schools are a priority. Does anyone know of a neighborhood in Parkland that has kids already more than others?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM

If you work in Hollywood, live in Cooper City. That's all there is to it. There is not a bad community there and for that matter not a bad public school (depending on where you are moving from, to a degree all public schools suck IMO). I actually would rather raise kids there in "Middle American" Cooper City than in the ultra-materialistic Parkland, the people are much friendlier and if the neighborhood is like the one that my family lives in, you might even get waved at (in a good way) by someone in their car, a serious rarity in large urban areas. I would not suggest the drive all the way to/from Parkland unless you work further north.

I don't know specifics about Parkland if you MUST live there, but there are really better options that are much closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area