Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM

124 posts, read 440,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
My personal choices are Weston, Parkland, Wellington, Cooper City, and Davie. I see a lot of declines in Coral Springs schools, and I like the small town type thing going on in the schools in the latter two. The last especially seems to be on an upswing in this department. I wouldn't say that the Coral Springs schools are "Bad", but they are just now outperformed by places that you wouldn't of expected in the past.
Schools are huge for us- my son goes to Byram Hills (in Armonk) and it is top rated. I know I won't find the same in Florida, but, I would want "better" than the "average" schools. For us it's more of a lifestyle change - right now at 20 degrees, NY is not our idea of fun! We are not winter people at all (though, I've been here all my life!) - Westchester is gorgeous, but my town is sleeeepyyyyy. I need a little more going on. I think Weston and Parkland sound to be offering the balance I need. Plus, I went to the Weston website and was so excited to see the diversity in shops, restaurants, cafes! I CAN'T wait to go back to FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,921,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
Schools are huge for us- my son goes to Byram Hills (in Armonk) and it is top rated. I know I won't find the same in Florida, but, I would want "better" than the "average" schools. For us it's more of a lifestyle change - right now at 20 degrees, NY is not our idea of fun! We are not winter people at all (though, I've been here all my life!) - Westchester is gorgeous, but my town is sleeeepyyyyy. I need a little more going on. I think Weston and Parkland sound to be offering the balance I need. Plus, I went to the Weston website and was so excited to see the diversity in shops, restaurants, cafes! I CAN'T wait to go back to FL.
Yeah, schools are going to be a downgrade. LOL! Parkland and Weston probably do offer the best balance, but just don't overlook Cooper City, mainly because of the schools (you are talking about 600-800 students elementary, 2200 high versus 1000-1200 elementary, 3000-5500 high, but you aren't sacrificing quality), although the quality of the education in Weston and Parkland is very good, despite crowding, and it does offer the shopping/peace/upscale balance.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM

894 posts, read 4,351,404 times
I lived in Cooper City from 1992 to 2006 and my son attended CC schools from K-12, I can tell you with certainty that CC schools are overrated. Most kids that live in CC and attend the schools are middle to upper middle class. Most are bright on their own. My son was above average, in advanced classes but was never taught how to study. He never was required to read a book and do a report. He basically got by on his own smarts and when he got to FSU, he was overwhelmed and underprepared. He is doing well, but his foundation was shaky at best.

I have always said that CC schools were the best of all the evils. I believe that the FCAT prep always took away from actually learning, but that's another issue altogether.

I know that drugs are prevalant at the middle and high school. I was a very involved parent and alot of the parents had the "not my child" syndrome. I could at any give time during a friday night football game, tell you which child was on which drug. Not to say that all kids do drugs, but don't kid yourself if you think they are not around.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 AM

355 posts, read 1,584,270 times
Regarding Cooper City.....The new development being built, Monterra, is going to overcrowd students within CC High School, Pioneer Middle, and CC Elementary, if this is where they will be sent. Just something to consider. I have lived in Cooper City since 1994, currently my kids attend Griffin Elementary. The only problem I have encountered is getting appropriate ESE services for my now 5 year old. Things are slow, but this may be a county-wide problem. This year, 22 kids in each Kindergarden class, with my daughter's class having 4 kids with major issues (my daughter included), and only one aide to help the teacher, which I am told we are lucky to have. (not a luxury...a necessity!).

Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,370 times
I'm moving to south Florida in about two weeks. I visited about two weeks ago and LOVED the neatness of Weston. I was pretty much SURE that I wanted to live in Weston. Then I looked online and saw housing prices in Coral Springs and Parkland compared to Weston. That's prompted me to consider "renting" in Weston for 7 months so that I can take a close look at Coral Springs and Parkland. Are they worth it?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfish View Post
That's prompted me to consider "renting" in Weston for 7 months so that I can take a close look at Coral Springs and Parkland. Are they worth it?
Parkland? Yes. Coral Springs? Nah, unless your without children or with elementary school aged children. But DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY rent! I usually tell people with no children to look into Plantation. Very nice looking (mostly) safe area (kind of a poor mans Boca Raton), but the schools are (generally) crap, which equals less money.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,253,242 times
I personally would not recommend Plantation, sure it's not "dangerous" but other than that I can't find any reason to live there. It's far out west and is extremely bland looking.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I personally would not recommend Plantation, sure it's not "dangerous" but other than that I can't find any reason to live there. It's far out west and is extremely bland looking.
Plantation actually has a green, unique look to it when you aren't driving on 595 or S.R.7. Go into the neighborhoods and stuff and it's actually really nice looking. They have the highest amount of tree canopy in South Florida. And it actually has some mid-upscale dining and shopping in city limits and closest in to Fort Lauderdale, which is another advantage. The biggest problem with Plantation is the increasing crime rate and the middle and high schools, as the elementary schools are actually decent.

http://www.plantation.org/Landscape/shade-brigade.html (broken link)

Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,370 times
Yes, I do have elementary aged kids, and I do intend to check out Parkland. I'm renting in Weston (7 months lease). So, we'll be able to take our time and check out all three cities at our leisure (Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland) before we make a move. There's just so much available down there and I want to take full advantage of it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfish View Post
Yes, I do have elementary aged kids, and I do intend to check out Parkland. I'm renting in Weston (7 months lease). So, we'll be able to take our time and check out all three cities at our leisure (Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland) before we make a move. There's just so much available down there and I want to take full advantage of it. Thanks for the advice.
Smart move. Weston is a good starting place. You can't really go wrong. Zero in on Eagle Point Elementary district- blue ribbon rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area