Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,948,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post

I do not find Parkland to be to far west driving wise because you don't hit traffic until you get to the eastern areas anyway. So basically your drive time is not much longer than if you lived a little more east, as the backups start to the east and south, not in Parkland.
Exactly. The commute to FTL will be the same, because you aren't going to hit any 595 traffic there like you would in Weston. I-95/Turnpike/Sawgrass/10th street typically won't have any problems. I HATE driving on 95, but because of the bad drivers and 5 lanes more so than the traffic, which usually if there is an accident I can just get off and go to the Turnpike.

To the OP:you might also want to consider Boca Raton depending on how far north in Lauderdale you will be working.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-02-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM

124 posts, read 441,380 times
Default Don't send me to the boonies....

Thank you for all your feedback. I will be taking another trip this Spring and will visit Parkland again and will go to Weston for the first time. I want to make sure that there are "things to do"!

Being a city girl who moved to the suburbs, I just need to make sure that the restaurants, shops and nightlife are not big hassle to get to.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
Thank you for all your feedback. I will be taking another trip this Spring and will visit Parkland again and will go to Weston for the first time. I want to make sure that there are "things to do"!

Being a city girl who moved to the suburbs, I just need to make sure that the restaurants, shops and nightlife are not big hassle to get to.
It's not a hassle in ANY of the mentioned communities. Weston actually has a few good restaurants right on premises. Coral Springs is probably further from stuff than Weston/Cooper/Davie (closer to Miami, although the latter 2 don't have much in city limits), although it does have the "restaurant row" and performing arts center, as well as proximity to Boca Raton (speaking of which, you may to want to consider it, considering it has good schools (Certainly better than C. Springs) AND proximity to your shopping, dining, etc). You are NEVER in the boonies in South Florida, although some areas are more active than others.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-03-2007 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,497,000 times
You know I had a friend once said anything west of I-95 was far, he living in Coconut Grove. For me anything west of the Turnpike in far. But someone living in Weston or Coral Springs may not think they are far, as a friend of mine doesn't think they live far out in Coral Springs. Everyones idea of what is far is different, so its a good thing that you are coming down in the spring. So you can decide on your own if you are far from the good restaurants. FIY each of these areas does have restaurants, they are just not the best/hot ones in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 AM

124 posts, read 441,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
You are NEVER in the boonies in South Florida, although some areas are more active than others.
Great, that's what I want to hear! I'll check out Cooper city as you mentioned also.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,497,000 times
I don't know I think Weston is in the boonies and the Redlands are in the boonies, IMO unless you like to drive. Yes there are things around, but its just far from Miami Beach, Coconut Grove, Las Olas, etc.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
Great, that's what I want to hear! I'll check out Cooper city as you mentioned also.
Doggiebus made a good point. Visit for yourself and see how you perceive it. I'm going to warn you ahead of time though, the city limits in Cooper City are VERY boring, LOL! But you aren't (10 minutes) far from restaurants in Weston or shopping in Pembroke Pines, and you are also only about 15 minutes from the eccentric, quirky, downtown Hollywood. About 20 minutes to FTL, half hour to Miami Beach. It's not the boonies in SW Broward, but if you go deep enough into Davie or SW Ranches it can certainly feel that way, which is what I like about this area. It's a little country in spots, but you aren't too far from anything. Kinda like...Westchester , but less traffic.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:00 PM

356 posts, read 1,270,805 times
Forget coral springs. coral spring may have nice areas but it is a lot of bad and it doesnt have the nice community feel of parkland or weston.

parkland or weston are great. parkland, if you can afford it, will give you more land options.

Weston is a bit clicky. all the women wear the same jewerly and push the same strollers and carry the same bag and if you dont fit in, for the most part, they will ignore you. there are nice, regular people there too but that is feel there.

I would choose parkland but keep in mind that if your kids go to school there they are going to want the latest fashions or nothing. you may have the same in your area too.

There is a lot lot to do in weston, im not sure about parkland but i bet there is.

Anyway my post may seem a bit generalized but that is my impression and i have lived in the area my whole life and been in all thoes areas.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 PM

356 posts, read 1,270,805 times
I think someone here mentioned Davie. there are really great homes out in south west ranches and it is great out there. also imagination farms, highlnad ranch estates are def. places to check out and the surrounding communities.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
Forget coral springs. coral spring may have nice areas but it is a lot of bad and it doesnt have the nice community feel of parkland or weston.

parkland or weston are great. parkland, if you can afford it, will give you more land options.

Weston is a bit clicky. all the women wear the same jewerly and push the same strollers and carry the same bag and if you dont fit in, for the most part, they will ignore you. there are nice, regular people there too but that is feel there.

I would choose parkland but keep in mind that if your kids go to school there they are going to want the latest fashions or nothing. you may have the same in your area too.

There is a lot lot to do in weston, im not sure about parkland but i bet there is.

Anyway my post may seem a bit generalized but that is my impression and i have lived in the area my whole life and been in all thoes areas.
Pretty well said, except that there isn't ANYTHING to do in the Parkland city limits. And I'm the one that mentioned Davie. Davie and Cooper City are much more down to earth, less materialism in the schools, etc.

I have also found it depends on what part of Weston you are in strangely enough. Some areas have that vibe your talking about but at my local store for example, everyone knows each other, lots of people conversing, clerks are friendly/talk to you, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area