Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Pretty well said, except that there isn't ANYTHING to do in the Parkland city limits. And I'm the one that mentioned Davie. Davie and Cooper City are much more down to earth, less materialism in the schools, etc.

I personally like the somewhat "isolated" feel of Parkland. Maybe it's because I was born and raised strictly in urban city-type areas, but it seems like a nice area to just go out and enjoy nature. There's not a single place in South Florida that is like Parkland, at least that I've seen.

Also, the people there are very friendly, and you don't have to worry about crime at all. If I could afford it I would live there, in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I personally like the somewhat "isolated" feel of Parkland. Maybe it's because I was born and raised strictly in urban city-type areas, but it seems like a nice area to just go out and enjoy nature. There's not a single place in South Florida that is like Parkland, at least that I've seen.

Also, the people there are very friendly, and you don't have to worry about crime at all. If I could afford it I would live there, in fact.
Well, I agree . Boca and Coral Springs aren't far anyhow if you get bored.

If you go deep enough into Davie or SW Ranches, it's like this too.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-03-2007 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM

548 posts, read 541,748 times
Quote:

That is exactly what we love about Parkland. You can retreat there and feel you are in horse country if you like. There is nothing to the west, once you are there, things are peaceful. Yet you can venture out into the action fairly quickly.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
Stick to your main three. Cooper City was mentioned, but is no where near as affluent nor as comfortable as what you are seeking.

I live in Weston and have dear friends in Coral Springs who send their 5 year old daughter to a private school (I forget the name but can find it it you like). The school is excellent and challenges the children in every way. They live in a gated community named Eagle Trace.

Commute and convenience wise, I would opt for Weston as it is near the airport, great shopping, excellent schools, etc. The fact that we tend to be farther west is really not an issue - but you need to be the judge.

The best thing would be to rent for a while so that you can have the time to properly evaluate each. All three communiies differ and have a unique "feel" about them.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,675,435 times
Where are the "bad areas" of Coral Springs?? Just because some areas of Coral Springs have lower to middle rent apartment complexes doesn't mean that they are filled with crime. I can't think of anywhere in Coral Spring that is a "bad area."

Also, it's expected to hear people complaining about schools in Miami-Dade, but I had never heard anyone criticize schools in Coral Springs until I read this thread. My best friend went to J.P. Taravella High School (which is the high school for northern Coral Springs and Parkland) and he got a very good education there. His cousin is in elementary school in Coral Springs (not sure which one) and I haven't heard him complain about it.

I have never heard of someone saying that Cooper City is not desirable. It is a nice town and the schools are known to be some of the best in the area. Plenty of gated and non-gated communities and most people there are upper-middle class.

To the OP: every single town mentioned in this thread is nice, affluent, and has good schools. Nothing to worry about in these areas of Broward.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 AM

124 posts, read 440,893 times
Default Am I priced out???

Quote:

Ok, am I being realistic looking in the 700s range in Weston or Parkland??

Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM

548 posts, read 541,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
Ok, am I being realistic looking in the 700s range in Weston or Parkland??
Yes, houses in Parkland are listing for $600,000 and up.

Honestly though? Please rent. On realtor dot com there are literally hundreds of new houses for rent from $2,500-3,500 per month that are listing for $600,000 to $1 million.

Heron Bay, Parkland Golf and Country Club are over built and many have been vacant for a long time. Negotiate a great rental deal and wait it out.

That is an obscene rent multiple of 250-350. Totally ridiculous. You would have to stay in a house over 20 years to even begin to make buying at those prices make sense.

Please, by all means, come to Parkland, and please rent and watch the prices fall over the next few years.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Yes, houses in Parkland are listing for $600,000 and up.

Honestly though? Please rent. On realtor dot com there are literally hundreds of new houses for rent from $2,500-3,500 per month that are listing for $600,000 to $1 million.

Heron Bay, Parkland Golf and Country Club are over built and many have been vacant for a long time. Negotiate a great rental deal and wait it out.

That is an obscene rent multiple of 250-350. Totally ridiculous. You would have to stay in a house over 20 years to even begin to make buying at those prices make sense.

Please, by all means, come to Parkland, and please rent and watch the prices fall over the next few years.
Must spread reputation around. One good post after another after another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Where are the "bad areas" of Coral Springs?? Just because some areas of Coral Springs have lower to middle rent apartment complexes doesn't mean that they are filled with crime. I can't think of anywhere in Coral Spring that is a "bad area."

Also, it's expected to hear people complaining about schools in Miami-Dade, but I had never heard anyone criticize schools in Coral Springs until I read this thread. My best friend went to J.P. Taravella High School (which is the high school for northern Coral Springs and Parkland) and he got a very good education there. His cousin is in elementary school in Coral Springs (not sure which one) and I haven't heard him complain about it.
Seriously, some people are just snobs. There are some lower income people there but for the most part ehse people aren't criminals.

BUT, the schools ARE declining. Coral Glades High (new school) isn't the safest, Coral Springs High isn't academically up to the same standards as it used to be and also having some safety issues. J.P Taravella is still decent, but I worry about the future of that school. Some schools in Broward that used to be mediocre are sort of "replacing" their status, or new ones are. I.E Western High in Davie used to be pretty much a backwater "redneck" school, now it outperforms all of the Coral Springs schools. New schools built in Weston and other towns are kind of replacing their status as well. It's basically just a flux.

As far as Cooper City not being as comfortable as Coral Springs, thats ridiculous. However yes, it's a more "middle class" type of community, not as upscale as Weston or Parkland. But certainly at least as upscale as Coral Springs. Cooper City actually has a higher median income than Weston.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,057 times
Fort Lauderdale, or, erm, compelled to reply,

I have seen Coral Glades High School from the Turn Pike, and I am wondering how it is not safe. It appears to be in a very upscale suburban area. I know that doesn't necessarily mean the school will be good, of course, but I'm just curious...

Old 12-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Fort Lauderdale, or, erm, compelled to reply,

I have seen Coral Glades High School from the Turn Pike, and I am wondering how it is not safe. It appears to be in a very upscale suburban area. I know that doesn't necessarily mean the school will be good, of course, but I'm just curious...
It's no Blanche Ely, but I have seen both Coral Glades and Coral Springs high periodically on the news for fighting or violence type incidents. It's not exactly an inner city school but for whatever reason a negative influence seems to be moving into the Coral Springs schools...They don't nickname it "White Compton" for nothin! Well, the White Compton thing is a joke (although the youth there do really call it that, as a joke of course), but also the test scores aren't very strong in the schools anymore either. It's "fine", but I would just say not the safest. J.P Taravella is still not bad (Good on the education especially), but there are plenty of drug problems over there too. It seems as if the schools in much of SW Broward or a lot of south Palm Beach County are safer.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-04-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area