Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:48 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Just for the record, Broward is being investigated right now for faking crime figures. In other words, they would catch say a burglar and use the arrest and conviction to clear up 20 other unsolved burglaries by attributing them to him and closing the cases. It also adds to the "solved crime" numbers making the departments look like they are doing a better job then they are. Browards sheriff was just fired two weeks ago and is going to prison for his own crimes. Yea, we have some real quality people down here.
Tell me where cases are like this aren't occurring. This stuff is happening everywhere, and statistics are to be used as a rough guide. When I was in Columbus they were tracking a similar dispute. Happens in LA all the time (at least most people are in Broward legally), New York all the time, Chicago all the time, Charlotte and Atlanta like you wouldn't even believe. Not justifying what happened, but this is why statistics are to be used as a rough comparison guide rather than as "fact". And it only happened in the Dania Beach and West Park districts under BSO jurisdiction. Realize that most of the county isn't patrolled by BSO either. Not saying Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale run very good departments either and look, the crime rates are high, but what's wrong with Sunrise, Pines, Margate/etc police departments to name a few? About the sheriff, I thought that was pretty disgraceful, but you don't seem to be doing much for your area either...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 09-27-2007 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: remove subtle insut

Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Tell me where cases are like this aren't occurring. This stuff is happening everywhere, and statistics are to be used as a rough guide. When I was in Columbus they were tracking a similar dispute. Happens in LA all the time (at least most people are in Broward legally), New York all the time, Chicago all the time, Charlotte and Atlanta like you wouldn't even believe. Not justifying what happened, but this is why statistics are to be used as a rough comparison guide rather than as "fact". And it only happened in the Dania Beach and West Park districts under BSO jurisdiction. Realize that most of the county isn't patrolled by BSO either. Not saying Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale run very good departments either and look, the crime rates are high, but what's wrong with Sunrise, Pines, Margate/etc police departments to name a few? About the sheriff, I thought that was pretty disgraceful, but you don't seem to be doing much for your area either...
Your last line makes no sense, it' the kind of thing people say when they have nothing else to say or no argument. Again though, I vote, attend commission meetings regularly and often speak when I have an issue, as well as paying tens of thousands in property taxes. I think I am doing my share.

The county is a declining mess no matter what you do. Leaving is the only personal solution for the average individual, that is just reality. I am afraid I am not my brothers keeper and have no desire to be so or even try anymore.

It's a big country, let the creeps have South Florida who cares, just move on. I have lived here like 55 years but I have no ridiculous loyalty it. It has turned into a dump, what can you do, form a militia and begin patrolling the streets? The heck with the place.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
\

The county is a declining mess no matter what you do. Leaving is the only personal solution for the average individual, that is just reality. \
You have a lot in Paradise, Tennessee waiting for you...

what has compelled you to call the entire area a dump? Where else have you been to compare? I'm not trying to get on your case or "defend" this area, but I am just curious as to what you base your statements on....you say I have no argument, but I'm not the one nit-picking small statements within a big picture...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 09-27-2007 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
You have a lot in Paradise, Tennessee waiting for you...I changed my last line rather abruptly because it began as a whole different statements but lets not go there...

what has compelled you to call the entire area a dump? Where else have you been to compare? I'm not trying to get on your case or "defend" this area, but I am just curious as to what you base your statements on....you say I have no argument, but I'm not the one nit-picking small statements within a big picture...
Because I lived here when it was a paradise, and think I have a good perspective. I used to travel a lot and many, many places I have been are better in their own ways then South Florida depending what one is looking for. I have also lived in Europe off and on. I have been stuck in South Florida for a while now, wanting to leave has been on my mind for 20 years. As you get older though you begin to realize you better do some of the things you want to do before it's too late. The new owner of a used car may think it is the best car they have ever owner and it may be, but they never saw it when it was new though.

That is kind of what it is like for new residents here, it's their new paradise, but no longer mine. Everyplace goes down hill that is just what urban areas do. The secret is to stay ahead of the curve. South Florida is on the backside of the curve. People should look for something better less spoiled with a future, not something already worn out. With all the beautiful coast line Florida still has, it is a mystery why someone would want to come here, there are too many better choices. It's subjective though.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 PM

54 posts, read 338,090 times
The fact is, Broward County is on a quick downfall. I was just reading an article that said this trend of crime that has been increasing in Florida WILL NOT get better anytime soon, and will only get worse for years to come..they called it some kind of crime cycle..I'm not sure of the name, but it's on [domain blocked due to spam].com. I can name bad things about some of the nicer cities you said..

Coral Springs - will drop out of the safest cities; has a high population of Nine Trey Blood Gangsters roaming around there.

Davie - good mostly, but known for a notorious street gang, the Davie Boyz.

Coconut Creek - half and half..alot of gangs..mostly Bloods

Margate - alrite..basically all middle class..but you never know..the guy who just shot 4 cops in Miami lived in Margate.

wilton Manors - though it's pretty quiet, it is sounded by bad bad neighborhoods/cities.

miramar - several murders; alot of gang activity; alot of immigration into this city

HOLLYWOOD - r u serious??? go out to Carver Ranches and tell me the area is okay....

Lauderdale lakes - well..I don't recommend walking down MLK Blvd. at night...or day..several gangs (NTG, Corner Boyz included)

and I'm not even going to mention Fort. Lauderdale, Pompano, Oakland Park, and Deerfield because everyone already knows the deal with them..

Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
I have never seen, or heard of, gangs in areas like Margate, Davie, and Coral Springs, and I'm still convinced those are nice areas to live in. I'm sure there are serious gangs in the seedy sections of Fort Lauderdale and similar cities mentioned, though.

Hell Palm Beach County has more than three-times the gangs of Broward County. Broward has around 30, we have around 110

Just take a look at areas like Lake Worth and West Palm Beach:

Gangs in Palm Beach County (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/news/interactives/gangmap.html - broken link)

Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I have never seen, or heard of, gangs in areas like Margate, Davie, and Coral Springs, and I'm still convinced those are nice areas to live in. I'm sure there are serious gangs in the seedy sections of Fort Lauderdale and similar cities mentioned, though.

Hell Palm Beach County has more than three-times the gangs of Broward County. Broward has around 30, we have around 110

Gangs in Palm Beach County (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/news/interactives/gangmap.html - broken link)
I live in Fort Lauderdale and gangs are the last thing I think about. I can't really think of coming in contact with anything gang related. maybe it's in the poorer areas I don't know.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times
Quote:
Because I lived here when it was a paradise, and think I have a good perspective. I used to travel a lot and many, many places I have been are better in their own ways then South Florida depending what one is looking for. I have also lived in Europe off and on. I have been stuck in South Florida for a while now, wanting to leave has been on my mind for 20 years. As you get older though you begin to realize you better do some of the things you want to do before it's too late. The new owner of a used car may think it is the best car they have ever owner and it may be, but they never saw it when it was new though.

That is kind of what it is like for new residents here, it's their new paradise, but no longer mine. Everyplace goes down hill that is just what urban areas do. The secret is to stay ahead of the curve. South Florida is on the backside of the curve. People should look for something better less spoiled with a future, not something already worn out. With all the beautiful coast line Florida still has, it is a mystery why someone would want to come here, there are too many better choices. It's subjective though.
Yes it indeed was paradise a while ago, not anymore. I laugh when I hear people saying "Just enjoying another day in Paradise", they tend to be new residents who don't remember what it was like years back.

Paradise to me is a deserted island in the south pacific....

Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post

Coral Springs does have a homegrown gang that I know of (White fence) and some of the big gangs are around.

About Davie, they bred the Davie Boys but from what I understand they aren't even active there anymore and spread into other cities like Hollywood. Heard local schools Nova and Western high school don't even have a gang to call their own. If there aren't many youth gangs, there probably aren't many other gangs in the area either.

Looking at the big picture, any major county, unfortunately, has violent gangs, but 28 gangs for an area with 1.8 million isn't particularly bad. It's actually better than most areas (look at what's north of us).

Last edited by compelled to reply; 09-28-2007 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
miramar - several murders; alot of gang activity; alot of immigration into this city
If the city has 6 homicides this year that will still be below the national average...almost all of the homicides are logged east of University Drive. The west half of the city is quite safe, and the immigrants moving in are a bit more affluent.

Regardless, the areas that were predictably safe remain that way, and the areas that were predictably dangerous remain that way. It's this simple; the county west of University is safe (name one bad neighborhood west of University Drive) and the county is much spottier east of University. This means about 60 percent of the county is safe, crime in the bad areas isn't any worse than I have seen anywhere else (I will tell you its a lot worse in Orlando, Atlanta, our neighbors to the north and south, Cleveland,Chicago, St. Louis, basically any other American city, and even oh-so-rosy Charlotte). Did you completely disregard the average of crimes per 100,000 in Broward compared to the national? Crime is one of the largest social issues facing this country, and we are going from being better-than-average to about average. Not denying that areas like Pompano are going downhill, and I'm not saying you will catch me walking around Carver Ranches at night (or during the day), but we have less of those kind of "neighborhoods" here than most similarly sized cities, and I think you should consider watching a newscast in any other major city to see the stunning similarity to what's going on here in comparison to other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area