Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times

Advertisements

Microwaving popcorn (I use the paper bag method) is a good way to cook it. boxed microwave popcorn from the store is a completely different animal. I hate the smell too. It's all the chemicals they coat the popcorn and the bag with. I microwave mine plain in a paper lunch sack and add melted butter and salt when it's done.

This thread did make me interested in this though:

Amazon.com: West Bend 82386 Kettle Krazy Popcorn Popper and Nut Roaster: Kitchen & Dining

I like that it's not a multitasker, but it is another machine to store. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,391,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
I love popcorn!!!!! I am still going Christmas shopping. Walmart is one of my stops and I will buy a PowerPop!!!!

TY for the info, I don't like microwaved popcorn either. My dad use to make the best popcorn in the world!!! He's the one who got me hooked on popcorn!!!!!
You're welcome. I hope you and/or your gift recipients like the PowerPop as much as I do. In fact it's pouring down rain in L.A. and I'm enjoying my popcorn as I type.

Oh, and don't be discouraged by the fact that the 'concentrator cups' have to be replaced after continued use. As long as you don't pop with oil, each cup should last for at least 20 batches of popcorn. I still have two concentrator cups left out of the eight that were supplied with the PowerPop. I either eat my popcorn plain out of the PowerPop bowl, or I dump the popcorn into a big ol' separate bowl and pour on melted margarine and salt. Replacement cups cost $2.12 at Walmart for a package of eight. That adds just a penny per serving to really good, thoroughly popped popcorn!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Microwaving popcorn (I use the paper bag method) is a good way to cook it. boxed microwave popcorn from the store is a completely different animal. I hate the smell too. It's all the chemicals they coat the popcorn and the bag with. I microwave mine plain in a paper lunch sack and add melted butter and salt when it's done.
I was basically going to post this same info. I'm not a fan of microwave popcorn that you buy in a package, but I keep a jar of Orville R. Kernels and a 50-pack of brown paper bags. I pop mine with Olive Oil, Salt and some hot peppers (I use my habenero pepper powder, but you could use Cayenne). I also do a lot of stove-top, but to be honest, the homemade microwave version is virtually indistingquishable.

Sometimes I'll add a pat of butter in at the start. Just a little butter flavor, but evenly distributed. (I'm trying to cut the fat, otherwise I'd drown it!).

Give the brown bag method a try before you discount it...

Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,147,015 times
I never heard of the brown bag method..Classic!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
Addicted to Popcorn and the way I eat it can hardly be considered healthy.
Got a stovetop crank popper and I love it I make a huge 1/2 cup unpoped bowl.
Add a stick of melted butter (real) And about a truckload of salt after it's popped.
And I eat the whole thing by myself.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
I never heard of the brown bag method..Classic!
Yes, that method was popularized by Alton Brown on his TV show. I've used it many times with variable results - usually pretty good, sometimes not so great. But IMO, the PowePop is more ideal, especially if you eat lots of popcorn. I've never had a bad batch, and almost all of the kernels pop. Plus, the PowerPop is simply nicer to use on a daily basis.

Gawd, I sound like a sales rep! I just like this product after trying other microwave poppers, including the Nordic Ware bowl (which would get VERY hot, leave too many unpopped kernels and eventually developed cracks in the plastic).

Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,008,490 times
Will get one for a friend.thanks

Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,128,588 times
my way of popcorn is stove top with butter, cayenne pepper, salt, parmesian cheese(like you put on pizza) and little dash of sugar!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Huh sounds interesting. I use the Alton Brown Bag method. I buy the five pound container of premium Orville Redenbacher kernels and the industrial package of paper lunch bags from Costco. I very rarely get more than a few unpopped kernels now that the Micro time has been dialed in. The kids use it to make popcorn for their lunch. I figured the price per bowl is about 10 cents including the power the micro uses per 2:05min of popping time. I know I am a sicko about numbers. Happens to you when you have to make payroll every two weeks for your employees. Im thinking the presto will pay for itself after about 500 bags of popcorn. That's how many bags I get for $15.00. Good thing is it could reduce my carbon foot print. Like I give a rats arse. LOL

I put it on my Santa List. Maybe my wife will get if for me.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 PM

Hey Bulldogdad, it sounds like you've got that whole brown bag thang dialed in! Maybe the Powerpop isn't for you, but it's worth a try and it can always be returned. It generally gets good reviews on Amazon, but some folks complain that the concentrator inserts don't last very long. I've found that I can get over 20 uses per concentrator if no butter, oil or salt is put in the bowl. Just use the PowerPop as a microwave air-popper, then pour the popcorn into a separate bowl if you want to add butter and whatnot. In other words, keep the concentrator dry and clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink