Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 08:54 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

I ordered a Presto air popper and will get some bulk corn. One step at a time:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 03:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Whatever popcorn I eat has to have a liberal dusting of Old Bay. Only way I can eat it. When I go to the movie theatre I take my little shaker with me.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:09 PM

2,043 posts, read 990,078 times
After some experimentation with tips posted in this thread I vote that Harry change his name to "harry popcorn". Thank you for sharing this technique!

I'm using a heavy 3 qt saucepan, pouring just enough peanut oil to cover the bottom, then 1/3 cup of kernels. Lid propped, no shaking or swirling the pot. Once popping has ceased, it's done. I'm getting 100% of kernels popped this way, and they are so much lighter and fluffier.

This amount fits perfectly into my 'popcorn bowl' and is a good snack for 1-2 people.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:15 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
After some experimentation with tips posted in this thread I vote that Harry change his name to "harry popcorn". Thank you for sharing this technique!

I'm using a heavy 3 qt saucepan, pouring just enough peanut oil to cover the bottom, then 1/3 cup of kernels. Lid propped, no shaking or swirling the pot. Once popping has ceased, it's done. I'm getting 100% of kernels popped this way, and they are so much lighter and fluffier.

This amount fits perfectly into my 'popcorn bowl' and is a good snack for 1-2 people.
Gas stove or electric? Be aware this technique is more dangerous if the oil gets overheated. A fully open box of baking soda and a dishtowel you can dunk in water, wring out, and toss over a burning pan are things to have handy. NEVER use water on hot oil - fling handfuls of the baking soda at the fire base instead. (In theatres, salt was used if there was a kettle fire. It was readily handy and there was lots of it.) A fully dampened towel won't burn or create oil spattering if you absolutely have to resort to it. I know I'm being over-reactive here, but knowing your options before an event is a lot better than trying to figure them out during one.

I know oil temps from years of popping, but an infrared non-contact thermometer can make you safer. Roughly, no oil over 385 at the hottest part of a pan.

FWIW, the swirling of popping corn is to prevent the popped kernels from getting charred on one side. With a small amount of corn and high heat, there is barely time for that to happen, as the popping is very fast.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:43 PM

2,043 posts, read 990,078 times
Gas stove. In 30+ years of cooking without a fire it's not a concern of mine, but good info to know. I've never gauged oil temp during cooking except for certain recipes for deep frying (which I rarely do).

Harry Popcorn!

Old 02-22-2024, 09:15 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The bright red Presto popper did a great job. One kernel did not pop. Fast, no smell, some Old Bay and SO was a happy camper.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:54 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I can't eat popcorn anymore. They've done something to it, the new popcorn isn't like the old popcorn. Every time I eat it little pieces of hard hulls get stuck in my throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink