Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:36 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,956 times

Advertisements

Yup, WalMart carries Pop Weaver.

Personally, I like making popcorn using my Power Pop, and Orville Red's popcorn. It pops big and fluffy, and you can make it as greasy (or not) as you like

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Same here. No microwave popcorn for me. Also, people do not buy Orville R. popcorn because of the "silly commercials" . ..it really is much better than generic, off brand popcorn. It is all I buy

Old 04-27-2009, 07:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Also, people do not buy Orville R. popcorn because of the "silly commercials" . ..it really is much better than generic, off brand popcorn. It is all I buy
It's definitely better than most of what they sell in grocery stores. OR's Light Movie Butter is my 2nd favorite after Pop Weaver's.

But I prefer *REAL* Pop Weaver's (or authentic concession popcorn). It can't be beat.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
I pop corn in the microwave using the Alton Brown method.

1/3 c. any brand of popcorn, 1 brown paper lunch sack, two staples.

Put popcorn in bag, fold down top twice, half an inch each time.

Put one staple in the long ways at each end of the fold.

Cook 3 minutes. Melt butter separately and pour over popcorn.

It comes out really well this way. He explained on the show why that minute amount of metal in the microwave is OK.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
It's okay for a grocery store brand. OR's Light Movie Butter is my 2nd favorite after Pop Weaver's.

But I prefer *REAL* Pop Weaver's (or authentic concession popcorn). It can't be beat.
I have never had "good" microwave popcorn. OR's is NOT a "store brand" - it may not be your favorite but unless it says "kroger" or "sam's choice" (or something similar) it is not a store brand. I only buy "real" popcorn.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
Default Recommendation for a popcorn popper??? Hot air or microwave

I have been looking for a hot air or a microwave popcorn popper. I have been reading lots of bad things about microwaveable bagged popcorn so I would like to switch.

The last hot air popcorn popper I purchased was more an exercise in rounding up the errant popped corn rather than eating the actual popcorn

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer a hot air or microwave one. Here is what I found:

Presto PopLite Hot Air Corn Popper Review

Amazon.com: Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper: Kitchen & Dining

Old 07-19-2009, 12:19 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Hi George,

Not sure why you'd prefer the hot air method... I've used this one for close to 30 years. I'm on my second one now. I lost part of it during an army move and had to buy a new one. They work great and as you can see from the reviews, almost everyone loves it!

Amazon.com: West Bend 82306 Stir Crazy 6-Quart Popcorn Popper, Black: Home & Garden

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM

914 posts, read 4,446,322 times
Hot air is good if you are tying to make a healthier popcorn. If your popper requires oil, well then you have oil on your popcorn. Of course, popcorn popped on oil tastes so much better, so it depends on what you are looking for: healthy popcorn or yummy popcorn.

I have used this air popper since college. I really like it, and fly-aways usually aren't an issue. It has lasted me for almost 10 years now.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
Thanks all for the responses! I am thinking hot air and/or microwave because it would be healthier. Although Costal Maine's suggestion is great, I also like the size of the types of popcorn poppers that I mentioned. You can never have enough cupboard space!

Don't you hate having to make the choice between yummy and healthy?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,918 times
The microwave method just involves taking a paper lunch bag, sticking about 1/4 cup of kernels and 1 tsp of oil in it, and then nuking it for 2 mins.

You can do the same thing over the stove with a large pot w/ lid and a little more oil. The only difference is that you've got to shake the pot to keep the kernels from burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink