Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times

Advertisements

Do they still make Jiffy Pop in the tin foil pans like we had growing up George?

And hey... If I'm going to eat popcorn, I'm going to indulge... and you could use evoo... that would make it healthier!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:13 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,096,026 times
You will get better tasting popcorn but just popping it yourself on the stove, and it is really easy. Instructions come on the bag or jar, quality varies a little by brand, so try a few til you have a fav (our store brand is good). You can also use different flavored oils, like garlic or butter, for variety.

I recently started making my own to avoid salt, and was suprised how little hassle it is. I have a hot air popper, but I have never liked it, the popcorn has NO flavor. You really have to have some oil to make good popcorn (but it doesn't take much). I've never used a microwave popper, but I can't imagine it would taste better than stove popped.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 PM

914 posts, read 4,446,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
The microwave method just involves taking a paper lunch bag, sticking about 1/4 cup of kernels and 1 tsp of oil in it, and then nuking it for 2 mins.
Really?? Cool!

My dad makes the best stove-popped popcorn ever. I am a little afraid to try to make popcorn on the stove because I am afraid it won't be as good.

When we popped popcorn in the air popper in the dorms, we used to get I Can't Believe Its Not Butter spray to put on it. That gave a decent, low cal flavor. (Although you will believe it is not butter.) We also used to use Molly McButter powder on our popcorn (with a little bit of fake butter spray to make the powder stick). There are a lot of options to liven up air popped popcorn, though unfortunately if they aren't fattening, they are full of chemicals. You could always try different seasonings as well.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 AM

263 posts, read 745,481 times
i prefer popcorn popped on the stove, with butter and sea salt.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 AM

426 posts, read 1,087,602 times
There's nothing unhealthy about popping popcorn over a stove with organic coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. The latter is probably easier to find. You can pop it yourself on a stove with a regular pot and lid (lid is a must), or you can get a fancy popper like a whirly pop or whatever it's called. I got one of those for Mom and it's great! And you can top it off with real butter. Butter does far less damage to your body than most "man made butter substitutes" out there. And measure it properly. 1/4 cup of kernels goes a LONG way!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
The microwave method just involves taking a paper lunch bag, sticking about 1/4 cup of kernels and 1 tsp of oil in it, and then nuking it for 2 mins.

You can do the same thing over the stove with a large pot w/ lid and a little more oil. The only difference is that you've got to shake the pot to keep the kernels from burning.
I just got rid of my air popper, George! Had it for years. The texture of popcorn made in the microwave is much more pleasing.

I use the above method which I first saw on Alton Brown. I don't put any fat in with the popcorn.. just put 1/3 c. in a lunch sack, fold down the top twice, about half an inch each time, and put one staple in either side. Nuke for 3 minutes, open and enjoy!

You can do it without the staples if you want.. but I've never once had a problem. I sometimes eat this crispy popcorn plain, and sometimes I nuke the butter separately.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM

509 posts, read 1,168,404 times
A pox on air poppers. They make what would be delicious popcorn into a strange, cardboard-tasting substance.

I second the stir crazy idea. Just go easy on the oil and don't even attempt to use the "butter tray" on top, because it doesn't work.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
Alright, alright, alright....I will get some brown paper bags

Thanks all!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,649,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Hi George,

Not sure why you'd prefer the hot air method... I've used this one for close to 30 years. I'm on my second one now. I lost part of it during an army move and had to buy a new one. They work great and as you can see from the reviews, almost everyone loves it!

Amazon.com: West Bend 82306 Stir Crazy 6-Quart Popcorn Popper, Black: Home & Garden
This is the exact same one that I have and I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
A pox on air poppers. They make what would be delicious popcorn into a strange, cardboard-tasting substance.

I second the stir crazy idea. Just go easy on the oil and don't even attempt to use the "butter tray" on top, because it doesn't work.
Yeah - I just melt my own butter and let everyone put their own on!

Wow - that was cool.................. this is the first time I have ever "multi quoted"!! Y'all better watch out now!!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,735 times
We're popcorn fanatics at our house. I'd say we eat it almost every other evening; either before the 4 year old goes to bed, or after when the wife and I watch a little TV. We take it to the pool on weekends, take some in the car for a trip, whatever.

I am an absolute stovetop kind of guy. I ban 2 things from my kitchen; microwave popcorn and Cool Whip. The brown bag stuff is OK, but I like the taste of stove top so much better, and the amount of oil I use is so small.

My popper of choice is a steel wok I picked up at an Asian Market for $12. It has a dome aluminum lid. It's the perfect shape.

The corn is Jolly Time; 3 pound bag from Big Lots - $2.50 - lasts about a month. That's seriously cheap eats.

I've used vegetable oil, coconut oil, even palm kernel oil. I don't recommend palm kernel by itself, but a little with coconut oil is good, it adds that movie theater color if you like that sort of thing.

I've got Flavacol, the bizarre butter flavored orange salt theaters use, and sometimes I like that, but most of the time I use Morton pickling salt. The fine texture works better than plain salt.

I've even done Kettle Korn, which is a little complicated at first, but easy once you get the hang of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink