Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 04:08 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

I was preparing some pineapple today and got thinking about some of the things my school served us that were strange. I'm not talking about the mystery meat casserole, but combinations of regular ingredients that just didn't make sense.

This is what got me thinking of it. For a special treat our school would occasionally serve a pineapple ring (canned of course) or a sliced pear, topped with a spoonful dollop of mayonnaise, some shredded cheese, and a cherry on top.

Any other weird school foods out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 04:54 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
In my elementary school, the cafeteria served “rice & gravy” for lunch on Tuesday. This was my first time ever seeing this dish, as I attended elementary school in California. I understand this dish is popular in Creole & Cajun cuisines. I liked the dish.

Also, my school served “bean & cheese burritos” on Thursday. I believe this was my introduction to eating and enjoying Mexican food.

Some side dishes which were also new to me at the time: peach cobbler, corn bread, etc.

Last edited by ccm123; 03-31-2024 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-31-2024, 05:10 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Great thread, OP.

I can't really think of a weird dish served by a school cafeteria, however...when I entered middle school in 6th grade, french fries and chocolate milkshakes were among items offered every day. At some point someone had determined that dipping fries into the chocolate milkshake was a great combination. I'm guessing it was a popular kid who discovered this culinary delight, and everyone else copied him/her. Including me. It wasn't especially disgusting, but faded away after about a year.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Great thread, OP.

I can't really think of a weird dish served by a school cafeteria, however...when I entered middle school in 6th grade, french fries and chocolate milkshakes were among items offered every day. At some point someone had determined that dipping fries into the chocolate milkshake was a great combination. I'm guessing it was a popular kid who discovered this culinary delight, and everyone else copied him/her. Including me. It wasn't especially disgusting, but faded away after about a year.
On the rare occasions I go to a Wendy's, I get a frosty and dip my fries in it. I've heard of many people doing that.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:46 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
Not weird particularly, but our elementary school served the best chili, along with a dark, sweet date bread spread with cream cheese. Lovedi it. My friends and I would always get in the back of the line so we could get an extra scoop of the chili so they didn't have to toss it.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:58 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Keep in mind that I've been out of high school for over fifty years but I remember that on Spaghetti Day we were always served three canned prunes.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:30 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Don't know if this qualifies, but....

Michigan State University served chocolate flavored cheese in their dorm cafeterias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOcmubKZ4Rs

Old 03-31-2024, 07:53 PM

486 posts, read 653,607 times
Watery tomato soup accompanied by a peanut butter and honey sandwich on "light" bread.

Beans...lots of beans, usually pinto and accompanied by cornbread. Not the Jiffy sweet corn bread, more like a gritty corn meal bread.

I grew up in Hendersonville, North Carolina, before it became "quaint" and was just a wide spot in the road (1960s). Most school lunches provided came from the free commodities that were given out by the county once or twice a month. Almost everything was inedible. Oh, I remember canned chicken...the whole chicken, bones and all. Gross.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Watery tomato soup accompanied by a peanut butter and honey sandwich on "light" bread.

Beans...lots of beans, usually pinto and accompanied by cornbread. Not the Jiffy sweet corn bread, more like a gritty corn meal bread.

I grew up in Hendersonville, North Carolina, before it became "quaint" and was just a wide spot in the road (1960s). Most school lunches provided came from the free commodities that were given out by the county once or twice a month. Almost everything was inedible. Oh, I remember canned chicken...the whole chicken, bones and all. Gross.
I grew up in SC but went through there often. I remember driving up Saluda and through the mountains before I 26 bypassed all that. Felt like a half the day just to get to Asheville so reaching Hendersonville was like a sign that we were almost there. Funny how Ghost Town was the place to go well before Disneyworld and Dollywood came about and now Ghost Town is a ghost town. And of course, we all wanted to go to Tweetee because of Fred Kirby's cowboy show.

One of my favorite foods was my mama's beans and fried cornbread. Of course, never got anything that good in school.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that I've been out of high school for over fifty years but I remember that on Spaghetti Day we were always served three canned prunes.
I remember stuff like that, but weren't sure what they were. There was this prune pudding. And once in a great while, they'd serve a Dixie cup of prune juice with the meal.

Did your spaghetti have tomato sauce in it? Our school cheaped out and served browned ground beef mixed in with spaghetti noodles but no sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink