Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 06:49 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times

Advertisements

How about that sliced "turkey" where one half of the perfectly round slice was dark grey (that was supposed to be the dark meat) and one half was light grey (that was supposed to be the white meat)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 10:31 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
I'm amazed so many of you can recollect your Elementary School meals. I can recall just one mean - the Sloppy Joe. My mom was not familiar with Sloppy Joes. In a way this was a good thing!

Old 04-01-2024, 10:41 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I never ate cafeteria hot lunches in school. My mom always made our lunches. My favorite was tuna salad on white bread with tomato. We would get 2 snacks and a juice box. When I got to Highschool my mom gave me a can of soda wrapped in foil to keep it cold. Rarely did I buy anything from the cafeteria. Maybe French fries or a snack. The food looked nasty and my mom did want us eating that garbage. I grew up in 70's and 80's

Old 04-01-2024, 11:58 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
The cafeteria in grade school always smelled like vomit. The only air-conditioning was in the teacher's lounge so with all the stoves and ovens going on, the cafeteria was like hell.
I would often see an old lady with sweat dripping off her face into the pot of gruel she was stirring. I think I only ate cafeteria food a couple of times, I usually just bought milk. The weirdest looking food I remember seeing was some kind of pie that had carrot slices in it.

The cafeteria in Jr. high was a lot different, they had soda and potato chip machines in there, plus you helped yourself to any of the food instead of waiting for one of the cafeteria ladies to spoon it out for you. I remember my first day in that school after filling my tray and paying for it, I headed to one of the tables and saw a kid sitting by himself with no food. I asked him if he was not eating lunch and he replied, " I kept waiting for a lady to serve me but she never did."

I explained to him that he had to get it himself in this school. He jumped out of his seat and scurried back into the line.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:22 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I never ate cafeteria hot lunches in school. My mom always made our lunches. My favorite was tuna salad on white bread with tomato. We would get 2 snacks and a juice box. When I got to Highschool my mom gave me a can of soda wrapped in foil to keep it cold. Rarely did I buy anything from the cafeteria. Maybe French fries or a snack. The food looked nasty and my mom did want us eating that garbage. I grew up in 70's and 80's
When I was in elementary school in the 70's for a few years I was a latchkey kid. Parents divorced and my mom worked, so making lunches was out of the question at that time. I was on the reduced price lunch program- cost .10c a day. I got mercilessly teased for being poor. I generally ate whatever I was served because my mom worked late often and I didn't know what time dinner would be served. Stove was off limits to me at that age, so fruit or peanut butter/jelly and bread were my main options.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
We had a dish on Thursdays the students called "Gravy Train". It was ground beef with brown gravy served over mashed potatoes. I thought it was actually quite good but would never admit it for fear of not being cool.

I remember the exact dish, it was called hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes & it was good. I still make a version of it.

I think some people posting here did not know what it was like to not be fed at home.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
What I remember about elementary school was the tray hot lunches with at least 4 items and milk was 35 cents. We also had a machine that dispensed an ice cream sandwich for just 10 cents.

Currently, our local elementary school charges $2.25 but nothing is really hot, it's outsourced to a food and facilities management services company. The menu has things like pizza, sunbutter/jam sandwiches, tacos, grilled cheese, Mac & Cheese, turkey hot dog, fish sticks, and the oddest, Chicken Nugget Po' Boy Sub. At the high school, they serve several Indian items, such as Butter Chicken, Chicken Tikka, Tandoori Chicken or Lentil Dal (our city is 37% Asian, most from India).

Old 04-01-2024, 01:08 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My mom lived across the street from her elementary school so she would go home and have a home cooked hot lunch. Her HS was in Brooklyn NY and she took a train to get there. The food in the cafeteria was homemade by Italian women. Best food she said and she did not grow up eating Italian food because she was Irish and German.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:22 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that I've been out of high school for over fifty years but I remember that on Spaghetti Day we were always served three canned prunes.
Lol, the first thought that came to my mind was that they put corn kernels in the spaghetti.

Not a combination, but dessert was often a small paper cup of frozen orange juice. ("For me?? You shouldn't have!")

Old 04-01-2024, 01:32 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
We had a dish on Thursdays the students called "Gravy Train". It was ground beef with brown gravy served over mashed potatoes. I thought it was actually quite good but would never admit it for fear of not being cool.
Lol!

I was just going to say, the food surely was "unhealthy" but I actually loved most of it. Especially the pizza, the tacos... Even the frozen OJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink