Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 08:55 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Not weird particularly, but our elementary school served the best chili, along with a dark, sweet date bread spread with cream cheese. Lovedi it. My friends and I would always get in the back of the line so we could get an extra scoop of the chili so they didn't have to toss it.
No repeats through the line for us; they monitored that line like a hawk. Even had assigned tables for the class. No sitting with your friends, just take the next open seat in the order you were lined up in class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 10:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I remember stuff like that, but weren't sure what they were. There was this prune pudding. And once in a great while, they'd serve a Dixie cup of prune juice with the meal.

Did your spaghetti have tomato sauce in it? Our school cheaped out and served browned ground beef mixed in with spaghetti noodles but no sauce.
That's what I recall in the 70's. Our spaghetti (Maryland) was served via an ice cream scoop and it never wavered in shape on the tray. Pretty *blech* all in all.

And we had fish sticks on Friday. Every Friday. With gawd awful tarter sauce and usually lettuce and like one tiny tomato. Jesus that food sucked.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
When I was in middle school in the 1970s, the lunch ladies cooked meal from scratch. Most of the schools at the time did NOT participate in the USDA food program and could use REAL food. Once every three to four weeks, we would have chicken livers in chicken gravy over rice. It was really top notch and was served as an alternative to the main entree. They made it in order to use up the giblets from the chicken.

I have to say that when I see the garbage that they feed students these days, I feel somewhat ashamed.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:44 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
We would have to take our food from home (mostly still do at school here) and I had Vegemite and cheese sandwiches most days for the thirteen years !! At least we could have peanut butter as a diversion at times. Most schools now ban it because of nut allergies.

An awful lot of food would end up in the rubbish bins!

Our immigrant kids, as my husband was, would be given hell for having something like a salami sandwich. All they longed for was a Vegemite sandwich.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:23 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I came from the era of the lunch ladies cooking from scratch & they saved me from starving.But one "salad" that I could not handle was shredded carrots, raisins & either mayo or Miracle Whip. Chili day was great but there was always a big hunk of cornbread, really dry, salty & gritty. I swear they threw a handful of sand in it. I still don't like cornbread.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:06 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I remember stuff like that, but weren't sure what they were. There was this prune pudding. And once in a great while, they'd serve a Dixie cup of prune juice with the meal.

Did your spaghetti have tomato sauce in it? Our school cheaped out and served browned ground beef mixed in with spaghetti noodles but no sauce
Yes, actually it was pretty good. Remember this was also back when the cafeteria meals were meals. We rarely had sandwiches or pizza (which was sauce and cheese on a half hamburger bun) and never chicken nuggets. Bread and butter was standard most days with the meals.

I think part of that was because it was, and still is but different, a heavily farming Scots-Irish/German area so maybe the meal from that was followed-breakfast, heavy lunch (dinner), light supper.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:43 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
My school meals must of been so bad, I have blocked them from my mind....I can`t recall any of them

Old 04-01-2024, 05:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
We had a dish on Thursdays the students called "Gravy Train". It was ground beef with brown gravy served over mashed potatoes. I thought it was actually quite good but would never admit it for fear of not being cool.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:58 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
We had a dish on Thursdays the students called "Gravy Train". It was ground beef with brown gravy served over mashed potatoes. I thought it was actually quite good but would never admit it for fear of not being cool.
Excellent when made from scratch.

Our school lunches? Nothing weird, but gaaahhh, I hated Friday fish sticks. To this day, I refuse to eat any frozen fried fishlike product.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:59 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Our school bulletin, that we had to tote home every week, had the following weeks cafeteria menu in it. When we saw pizza on Friday, my brother and I convinced our parents to let us eat school lunch that week. At the time, 1960s, it was $1.75 for the week. Normally it was a brown bag lunch or we walked the 2 blocks back home for a quick bite.

Friday comes and pizza is served. But to my chagrin, instead of pizza dough as the delivery system for the sauce & cheese, the base of the 'pizza' was cooked white rice. Either someone screwed up the dough, or else maybe they didn't have enough flour on hand.

What a disappointment. After waiting all week and having to endure the mediocre line up of other cafeteria foods to arrive at the holy grail of school lunches, decades later I'm still slightly scarred and the twitch is finally subsiding to just a few times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink