Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 04:02 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I mentioned eating fish and red wine on here one day without even thinking and someone clutched their pearls and got the vapors
LMAO

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my wine without food of any kind (:
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 07:20 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Krispy Kreme doughnuts. People seem to worship them, and I don't get why. Best-case scenario, they're just another doughnut. Worst-case scenario, they're not even a very good one (though I admit I'm not a fan of yeast doughnuts, so that doesn't help, but their sticky, messy, tasteless, not-even-worth-the-calories glaze isn't great, either).
Where did you buy them - off the grocery shelf or at a KK when the "Hot Donuts Now" sign is lit? There is a world of difference between the two.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:52 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,739,679 times
The one that comes immediately to mind as a qualifier for most people would be durian fruit.

It's very expensive, reputed health benefits are questionable, and many people absolutely despise it due to either smell, appearance, taste or all of the above.

However, I personally think it's great so will have to come up with another.

Cake! Yuck. Always too sweet and I don't really appreciate the texture either.

It seems that celebratory cakes are typically in place primarily for the appearance, yet some people actually eat them.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:40 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
BBQ is probably the most overhyped because it's supposed to be the most accessible food. Everybody can BBQ themselves. There's no need for fancy smoke machines or special fits. Man learned how to cook with fire thousands of years ago. I go to some hyped up BBQ place and I paid $36 for their slow dry rub ribs and came away disappointed how dry it was inside and how close my own ribs at home can easily matchup if I just spend more time and baby it longer. So BBQ isn't some gourmet food, you buy quality meats and you keep the fire right and flip the meat.

Imo, BBQ from other countries are a lot better than American BBQ. Just about every country has their version of BBQ or grilling and smoking meat for centuries ahead of America. Take Mexican, a lot of great grilled and smoked dishes but they don't call it BBQ. It's a method of cooking not a category like BBQ itself.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:52 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Beets. It's popular right now but I've always hated them.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:24 AM

46,941 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Cake! Yuck. Always too sweet and I don't really appreciate the texture either.

It seems that celebratory cakes are typically in place primarily for the appearance, yet some people actually eat them.
American celebratory sheet cakes tend to be - not great. But the sort of cake where an actual pastry chef has been involved can be so damn good.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Krispy Kreme doughnuts. People seem to worship them, and I don't get why. Best-case scenario, they're just another doughnut. Worst-case scenario, they're not even a very good one (though I admit I'm not a fan of yeast doughnuts, so that doesn't help, but their sticky, messy, tasteless, not-even-worth-the-calories glaze isn't great, either).

Food trucks. I mean, they're cute, and might make sense to have around at a festival or something where people want to eat right there, but why go gaga over them? Especially to pay as much, or more, to get your food in a styrofoam container and eat it standing around with plastic silverware, as you would to go to a restaurant with a full kitchen and staff, sit down, be served, and eat off of real plates, with someone else to clean up afterward.

Bacon. It's okay, but not worth the complete obsession people had with it a few years ago.
Are we the same person? I agree with all of it.

KK doughnuts are just sugar bombs at best, which if that's all you're after, I guess go for it? Completely not worth the calories and sugar coma for a low-quality treat.

Bacon is fine, good even. No argument. But all the social media praise and dumb t-shirts and clickbait articles about recipes mixing bacon with everything...enough. It's just silly and overwrought.

Food trucks. I love the idea, and the ones I seek out do have unique and high-quality items I love. And at a public event it is a good way to have food available to please a variety of eaters. But lines are SO long even for the generic trucks. Orders take forever. If you're with your family/friends it means you're all separated and getting your food at different times and where do you sit?

Old 06-21-2023, 10:55 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Starbucks
Duncan Donuts (including their coffee)
Popeye's Chicken Sammich
Chick Filet

FWIW, I love Paella, Sushi, Sashimi, Hot and Cold Noodles, Pizza and (especially) Raw Oysters. Go figure...

Old 06-21-2023, 11:56 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
American celebratory sheet cakes tend to be - not great. But the sort of cake where an actual pastry chef has been involved can be so damn good.
True. But another I can’t stand is ice cream cake. Yuck.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
True. But another I can’t stand is ice cream cake. Yuck.
Cake? I'm wondering if I've had a bad cake...oh right, an expensive one for a party that tasted like nothing
and had some 'thing' called frosting on it. I guess I tried to forget!

So big hype?---Good looking big store-bought cakes...awful things from AI maybe. Or snuck out of a Holodeck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink