Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 12:51 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
"Fried pieces of rubber" - hysterical, spot on.

Btw, the reason pizza from a pizzeria is better then any homemade (one reason) is they always use Whole Milk cheese.
Mediocre mozz doesn't have enough or any salt in it.
Great NY pizza dough has yogurt in the dough as it rises. (It pays to be older cuz of learning these mysteries! LOL).

Ok I have one -and in the SW it can be some kind of 'big freaking deal': Polenta!
It's Cream of Wheat or grits in an oven! Main dish?
R U kidding? I don't care WHAT kind of color platter it's served on!
I will never buy a Filet Mignon again, I have for years ...tasteless. So what it melts in your mouth!
Ribeye and Skirt steak does with flavor, cooked just right!!!
The main reason pizzeria pizza is better is the ovens heat at a much higher and much much more consistent basis than the vast majority of home ovens. The yogurt thing is not a mainstream thing...it's one of those recent "food hacks" that have proliferated in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 01:32 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
"Fried pieces of rubber" - hysterical, spot on.

Btw, the reason pizza from a pizzeria is better then any homemade (one reason) is they always use Whole Milk cheese.
Mediocre mozz doesn't have enough or any salt in it.
Great NY pizza dough has yogurt in the dough as it rises. (It pays to be older cuz of learning these mysteries! LOL).

Ok I have one -and in the SW it can be some kind of 'big freaking deal': Polenta!
I will never buy a Filet Mignon again, I have for years ...tasteless. So what it melts in your mouth!
Ribeye and Skirt steak does with flavor, cooked just right!!!
Now, that last part about the steak. I have been a life-long anti filet mignon person. Give me a nice london broil or new york strip, cooked rare and yum! The best!

Until recently, the past, say 3-4 years. My husband cooks steaks on the stovetop in a cast iron pan, very hot, rare, & finishes them with butter. Omg they are so good! Just as flavorful as a really nice ribeye. I am a convert.

I’ll still go for a nice strip or london broil (yes I know that’s a method, not a cut) now and again, but I’ll usually go for the filet nowadays.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:59 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:

People serve polenta as a main dish? I've only ever seen it as a side (or a base that the protein is set upon). Much like mashed potatoes, rice, or grits.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:20 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Around here it's ramen. There's a mall around here called Valleyfair that has high end shops and they've opened a ramen place and the line to go skirts through the mall. For ramen.

I'm also sick of designer burgers. Initially because a burger is damn good when it's fresh good meat and fresh bread. But I also hate that so many of these patties are now predipped in garbage for whatever reason. Like....how can we find a way to get more sodium into this....

I'll agree with many of you on sushi....on the basis that there's a TON of garbage sushi out there now...covered up in rice and sauces. Good sushi is excellent and the oils do fine for dressing....there's just few places that serve it now. If you do get it, it's a nice unique food that is hard to replicate otherwise.

Oh and impossible meats not being eaten by vegetarians. The list of ingredients in this stuff is gross. If there's no other alternative for you, fine I get it....but this stuff is not good or good for you. Pairs great with a cigarette and diet soda.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:29 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Ice cream with 5000 different things in it . I just like ice cream .. maybe with some chocolate chips, OR cherries OR pistachios but not all that plus more in it .
Sushi/sashimi - I am a pescatarian too actually but do not like the taste of this at all .
Rhubarb
Tapioca .
Yogurt
Dishes with many many ingredients in it . I don't mean spices but lots of large main ingredients like on man vs food or something

Old 06-19-2023, 07:32 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Wine. When people start talking about a certain wine’s “bouquet” or how it pairs well with or can only be drunk with X, I just look at them with a vacant stare.
Wine is like opera. If you encounter the look-down-their-nose-at-you snobs first, it'll never appeal. But if you have an enthusiast sort of guiding you into it, there's so much depth and enjoyment to be found.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:19 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's like saying why would I go get a steak when I can get a Big Mac. LOL
No it isn't.

There is nothing special about restaurant made ramen.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
It always amazed me how my friends got so excited about an egg-roll on the side of Chinese. Or fries won-tons.

And Subway Sandwiches. What's the big deal?

Deep-fried onion rings?

Bagels.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
The yogurt thing is not a mainstream thing...it's one of those recent "food hacks" that have proliferated in recent years.
The yogurt (really, in any dough) ...I learned from
a NY pizza maker in 1988...and yes with that amazing oven. Just sayin', not trying to start anything

Old 06-20-2023, 06:00 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wine is like opera. If you encounter the look-down-their-nose-at-you snobs first, it'll never appeal. But if you have an enthusiast sort of guiding you into it, there's so much depth and enjoyment to be found.
I just don’t have a very distinguished pallete (sp?) for wines. I love a nice glass of wine, but as long as it’s not sour or stale/oxidized, I can’t tell the difference between a glass from a $60 bottle or a glass from a $20 box. In fact, my husband buys fairly expensive bottles for his wine chiller, I prefer my boxed red blend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink