Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2024, 05:48 PM

1,287 posts, read 585,844 times

Advertisements

Do you think you might have an eating disorder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 06:03 PM

6,525 posts, read 6,730,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Do you think you might have an eating disorder?
I can understand why a stranger might ask that, but I can definitely say no, I do not. After menopause, my weight soared, and the ONLY way i could lose weight was to eat an extremely low-cal diet. I got back to a healthy weight, and I'm determined to stay there. (or, approximately there, lol)

Maybe it's not a typical weight control plan, but it's what I do periodically when I exceed my personally acceptable maximum weight.

I assume I have a very low basal resting metabolism, and I know I have a low functioning thyroid.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:17 PM

3,098 posts, read 2,087,098 times
You can order something small (green salad has almost no calories with no dressing) and then not eat it or maybe order a drink. It is not nice to make your spouse eat alone while on vacation.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:28 PM

2,246 posts, read 2,422,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can understand why a stranger might ask that, but I can definitely say no, I do not. After menopause, my weight soared, and the ONLY way i could lose weight was to eat an extremely low-cal diet. I got back to a healthy weight, and I'm determined to stay there. (or, approximately there, lol)

Maybe it's not a typical weight control plan, but it's what I do periodically when I exceed my personally acceptable maximum weight.

I assume I have a very low basal resting metabolism, and I know I have a low functioning thyroid.
Ugh that's what scares me when I finally get there.. I hear about so many menopausal woman having to eat like birds to maintain a normal weight... I'm definitely a foodie have always had a big appetite lol.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:37 PM

12,147 posts, read 8,535,690 times
My weight has remained stable for decades so I consider myself lucky. When I'm invited out for dinner and am not hungry I often order dessert because why not?

I noticed that problem in middle age also but my metabolism returned to normal later. Doesn't exercise help you keep your calories burned?

I do know what you mean about a much smaller appetite now though, It seems to have happened naturally.

Do you mind eating a side salad?

Old 05-10-2024, 06:48 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,980,420 times
Perhaps you could just ask for an extra plate, sometimes there is a small charge, and share a few bites of your husband's dinner.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:16 PM

6,525 posts, read 6,730,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
You can order something small (green salad has almost no calories with no dressing) and then not eat it or maybe order a drink. It is not nice to make your spouse eat alone while on vacation.
I did go to the restaurant with my husband, and "nice" or not, I didn't eat. I was still not feeling hungry whatsoever. I guess it was a combination of a much bigger lunch than usual, plus being outside in the sun and heat on the trails (we're in Sedona).

Next time, I think I'll just stay at the hotel if I'm not hungry. It was just too awkward to sit there without eating. But hopefully I won't feel so completely not hungry again.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:59 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,340,394 times
For me, the main question in all this would not be what I feel like doing, but how my husband would feel about all this. Would he feel awkward having to sit there like a pig munching while you sat across from him eating nothing? When you commit aberrant behavior in public you should think about the effect it might have on others. I'm not saying you did anything wrong; but if your husband is ok with it then that's the main thing, because there are all sorts of ways you can get around the awkwardness of sitting eating nothing when you are in a place where people go to eat. Room service is a great way to avoid this problem.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:47 PM

23,665 posts, read 70,718,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
This may seem like a strange question, but hear me out. I have a very small appetite, meaning, I might eat just a piece of fruit for breakfast, some cucumber slices for lunch, half a chicken breast and a vegetable for dinner, things like that.

The only time it's a problem is when my husband and I are on vacation, and we're dining out 3 times a day. We're actually on vacation right now, and after having had a burger and potato salad for lunch today, the thought of eating another meal for dinner makes me nauseous. Plus, I've been successfully losing weight recently, and it seems ridiculous and unhealthy to eat when I'm not even hungry.

There was already one night on this trip where I just stayed at the hotel while he went to dinner. I'd kinda like to do that again tonight, but doggone it, we're on vacation, and I do enjoy being with him!

Is it rude to go to a restaurant and just drink water while my husband eats? The only things I drink are water and diet cola, but I can't consume caffeine in the evening. So that leaves water. (I no longer drink alcohol, for health reasons).

Either way, my husband is taking up a table, so I'm not really hurting the restaurant by sitting with him. It just seems weird to me, so thought I'd solicit your opinions.
Quick thoughts, low thyroid can cause other issues, so getting your TSH into range might be something to aim for. It isn't about weight as much as general wellbeing.

Not needing to eat - we all get to a point as we age where calorie intake is no longer a big requirement. Over-eating can cause health issues, but at the same time not getting enough of the basic minerals and vitamins needed can do the same. Finding a wholistic advisor might be an idea. If you plan on eating less, please consider certain supplements.

Social pressure. Ask what your husband might want later as a snack, order that, nibble as you want or don't, ask for a take-away box. I went out alone for a snack/meal at a new place and specifically asked for a sack to take what I had not consumed. The food was good, but too much. Not a problem for me.

Old 05-27-2024, 03:53 PM

52,763 posts, read 48,134,640 times
Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend.

Here's a heads-up for our Foodie Nation: Tomorrow is National Hamburger Day.

This alone should give you some ideas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink