Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,948,023 times

Advertisements

Her roast, regardless of the ingredients that sound gross combined (except for the butter which I 100% approve of.... IS home made.

And the elitist usually condescending New York Times even did a study and article of the rise of the popularity of that recipe.

The Improbable Rise of Mississippi Roast

Mississippi Roast Recipe - NYT Cooking

BTW, soaking your steak in a stick of butter is actually a cooking technique found in good restaurants by good chefs.

Looks like The Mississippi Roast should be renamed "The Famous Foot In Mouth Roast".

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-28-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,732,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I used to date a man who drove to fast food places three times a day for his meals. If he started putting meat in a crockpot with ranch powder I'd consider that a big step up.
I think this is key.

Let's be honest that if somebody's preparing a roast, throwing some premixed seasoning on it is a far cry from saying "eff it," and bringing home a $5 Little Caesar's with pepperoni for the kids every chance you get.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:30 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,883,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Her roast, regardless of the ingredients that sound gross combined (except for the butter which I 100% approve of.... IS home made.

And the elitist usually condescending New York Times loved it.

Mississippi Roast Recipe - NYT Cooking

However, in the the New York Times acticle the prepackaged ingredients were replaced with herbs, spices, buttermilk and mayonnaise.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
However, in the the New York Times acticle the prepackaged ingredients were replaced with herbs, spices, buttermilk and mayonnaise.

Like I said...elitists. They didn't love it any LESS because of the ingredients which was my point - and the fact the OP had no idea it was such a popular thing.

They just took the opportunity to snark and ridicule the country who eats it. And of course, they had to disparage "a favorite of the mom-blog set."

I updated my post before yours to add another NYT article.

They're idiots.

John T. Edge, the director of the Southern Foodways Alliance at the University of Mississippi, who has contributed to The Times, said he had never heard of Mississippi Roast. I described it to him. “Could it be that it was associated with Mississippi in a dismissive way,” he asked, “à la Ernie Mickler and his ‘White Trash Cooking’ book? As in, this is the kind of food those folks eat? That would be my best guess.”

LOL and I happen to have the White Trash Cooking" book and adore it. So fun and clever.

ETA (again LOL) And there's NO WAY she replicated that with just DILL. NO there really weren't any "herbs and spices". S&P, DILL and a dash of paprika.

And LMFAO at the elitist using MAYO (which BTW would have made me spit it out)

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-28-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 10:41 AM

4,202 posts, read 3,424,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What kind of chili seasoning are you all using and where do you find it? I add a generous helping of my favorite chili powder, a bit of cumin and some other spices/herbs, and some chopped canned chipotle peppers with the sauce. If I want heat, I add a dash of cayenne and chopped fresh hot peppers to taste. I don't think I've ever heard of packaged chili seasoning. Who makes it?

Wick Fowler!

I think McCormick's or whomever also makes a mix, but you run the risk of an anti-matter catastrophe using anything other than Wick ™ Fowler ®.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:47 AM

There are a million of those ICONIC recipes.

I guess you never worked in an office or socialized with people not "like you".

Grape Jelly Swedish Meatballs
Whiskey Cake
Chicken Thighs in Apricot Jelly, Lipton Onion and Catalina Dressing
the litney of desserts made with Cool Whip or various Jellos/Puddings
The Knorr Dip in a loaf of bread.....

I could probably list 20 of them OTTOMH

And they all take time to shop for, plan out, prepare and serve. HOME MADE.

One of my favorite part time jobs was prepping for a take out chef near Philly. ALL the yuppies ADORED his Lasagna. Raved about it. It was usually frozen Stouffers Family Size hahaha.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So, basically, Ranch dressing.

An abomination if premixed, but acceptable if deconstructed.

SO FOODIE.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,883,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So, basically, Ranch dressing.

An abomination if premixed, but acceptable if deconstructed.

SO FOODIE.
I think that entire "recipe" sounds like an abomination but, as I said before, to each his own.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
This. 100% this.

Convenience foods do have their place, too. For some of us, they represent some of our true comfort food.
Spatini Spaghetti Sauce. A legacy brand that set the Northeast on fire when they discontinued it!

Just for starters.

It's demise has it's own website LOL

Spatini FAQs | Spatini

Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think that entire "recipe" sounds like an abomination but, as I said before, to each his own.
Eh, it sounds like slow roasted seasoned meat, to me. I'm not big on roast, in general (if I'm making beef, it's probably steak or brisket), but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink