Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Oh Chelsa,
Few people up north could afford to heat their homes up to 72 degrees.....68 is normal, but many folks can only keep their homes up to 65 or less. We are at 12 degrees this morning.....it's normal for us.
I don't know how anyone up north could afford to heat one of those old 100 year old houses with minimal insulation and drafty windows, heck it's expensive to do that even in the deep south. Even worse is people in places like Michigan who live in older trailers with thin walls, it's amazing they don't freeze to death in there.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM

228 posts, read 536,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know how anyone up north could afford to heat one of those old 100 year old houses with minimal insulation and drafty windows, heck it's expensive to do that even in the deep south. Even worse is people in places like Michigan who live in older trailers with thin walls, it's amazing they don't freeze to death in there.
Yeah, my sorry heat pump ran all night long just to maintain 65.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I hate running the heat, but know it's a necessary evil. Electric forced air heat is so much less efficient and more costly than air conditioning a home.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Default Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Oh Chelsa,
Few people up north could afford to heat their homes up to 72 degrees.....68 is normal, but many folks can only keep their homes up to 65 or less. We are at 12 degrees this morning.....it's normal for us.

I do feel for my Florida friends, I do know it's cold for you, and hope the crops, etc are not hurt too bad. My neighbors laughed at me when I insulated my incomming water line and my sprinkler shut offs, saying it NEVER gets that cold down here Frank, you gotta stop thinking like a northerner.......

I'm glad I did.

Frank

I have to keep the heat up - for some reason the back of my house (where my boys sleep) doesn't get heat properly - I suffocate at night to keep them toasty - it is awful!! Thankfully, I don't pay for the heat, but it is wrapped into the rent that is 1600$ a month. I'm not doing it to bleed my landlord dry believe me - but I have to keep the kiddies warm.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
rant over, please people stop saying this is cold weather, at night it does a get a bit chilly, but daytime is gorgeous, enjoy it while you can!
Yes it is. It's not only cold, but it seems it's never gonna stop. I hate it, it's not gorgeous, I'm not a polar bear.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Yeah, my sorry heat pump ran all night long just to maintain 65.
I don't even bother when it dips below about 30F, I switch it over to 'emergency heat'. I'm not going to wear out my compressor by having it run 24/7, it gets worked hard enough during the summer.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Yes it is. It's not only cold, but it seems it's never gonna stop. I hate it, it's not gorgeous, I'm not a polar bear.
Yes, I agree with you. To us, it is cold... and nobody can tell us different!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
For me coming from up North, this is FALL, not Winter. No, after 3 years of living here I haven't "gotten used to Florida weather". If anything, as times goes by, the LESS I can tolerate the heat (70s is hot to me now) , and the MORE I can tolerate cold (50s is like SUMMER).

I can see the change in my husband, but nope not me. It is getting very marked the difference between us now.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
For me coming from up North, this is FALL, not Winter. No, after 3 years of living here I haven't "gotten used to Florida weather". If anything, as times goes by, the LESS I can tolerate the heat (70s is hot to me now) , and the MORE I can tolerate cold (50s is like SUMMER).

I can see the change in my husband, but nope not me. It is getting very marked the difference between us now.
and NY doesnt get hot?? but im not going to start that arguement with you again as it gets old..however but coming from another NYker the summer is HOT...and it does get over 70 degrees in NY.but of course you know that....im glad that the older you get you can tolerate it, cause most people cant and I know one of dh's friend is in his late 40's and just cant do the cold anymore where it never bothered him before...

You dont think this is cold, other people do, my PARENTS from NJ think this weather is beyond cold for here....my neighbor just moved here from NY and she cant believe how fliipin cold it is right now...I think you seem to forget many of us came from up North, and I agree with the other poster not everyone agrees with weather temp but the fact that people do come here from where ever to escape the cold happen to be freezing right now...they cancelled our Swim Meet in Ft Myers 1 because of the temps for next week as its going to be just too darn cold...

and It was 31 degrees here in Boca this morning and the high was 52 but very windy and its dipping...

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default This is NAPLES forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
and NY doesnt get hot?? but im not going to start that arguement with you again as it gets old..however but coming from another NYker the summer is HOT...and it does get over 70 degrees in NY.but of course you know that....im glad that the older you get you can tolerate it, cause most people cant and I know one of dh's friend is in his late 40's and just cant do the cold anymore where it never bothered him before...

You dont think this is cold, other people do, my PARENTS from NJ think this weather is beyond cold for here....my neighbor just moved here from NY and she cant believe how fliipin cold it is right now...I think you seem to forget many of us came from up North, and I agree with the other poster not everyone agrees with weather temp but the fact that people do come here from where ever to escape the cold happen to be freezing right now...they cancelled our Swim Meet in Ft Myers 1 because of the temps for next week as its going to be just too darn cold...

and It was 31 degrees here in Boca this morning and the high was 52 but very windy and its dipping...

WEDTHUFRISATSUNMONSunny

Sunny
59 38
Mostly Sunny

Mostly Sunny
65 52
Scattered Showers

Scattered Showers
65 42
Showers

Showers
55 36
Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy
57 37
Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

As you can SEE, it is still NOTHING like what people have been posting. I have said this OVER and OVER, there is a MAJOR difference in other parts of Florida.

So, when other cannot understand how HOT is gets in THIS part of Florida, like 90s day after day, month after month, now we are reaping the "benefit". I am not even trying to compare NY to this. How about NORTH Florida to SOUTH Florida? Ok???????

Sorry, this cut and past didn't work out too well, but it is from weather.com. We drove from NY this weekend. Went through just about the entire state. NORTH Florida was a lot colder than it is HERE.

It is 52 degrees at 5:38 PM in NAPLES and the sun is SETTING, as in no SUN out to warm it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida