Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

I moved to Gainesville in May 1971 because a BF asked me to come. That it was Florida made no difference to me. I just wanted to be with him. That Thanksgiving I spent with his parents in Bradenton. They asked me after dinner (smoked turkey on BBQ!!!) if I wanted to take a ride to the beach. No thank you. I didn't like the beach in July, let alone on Thanksgiving in November. By mid December I started to see all those Santas in their shorts, lights on Palm Trees, and thought I was just going to lose it. I felt I just had to get out of here asap. I packed my stuff, left him, lived my life, and never looked back for over 30 years.

So what neat little package of why people leave and come back does that fit in to? I did not like Florida's weather or anything associated with it, back when I was 22 years old. I am not going to go back into my current circumstances of being here, suffice to say that I did not want to come back.

You know what? One size just does not fit ALL. No matter how much you may like to fit a square peg into a round one.

Yes, I blame FLORIDA because I blame Florida's weather, palm trees, nothing changing from January to June, all activities geared to outside activites and sunshine, beaches, bla, bla, bla.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM

50 posts, read 167,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Nice areas command big prices - law of supply and demand.

Anyway, some of us are quite happy with what you would call a "starter" home. I live great in my little 2 BR vintage 1950's home just 2 blocks from the bay. Wouldn't want any bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I will take a somewhat smaller home just to be in paradise myself.

I'm with you, Gypsychic & SunnyDays! (And envious - sigh, 2 blocks from the bay... sounds like heaven!)

I no longer WANT to live in a big fancy house, nor do I want to live in one of the "popular" "in-demand" locations. No offense at all to those who want that, it's just not what I want. Give me a simple small home, in a quiet tiny town that most everyone overlooks, and make sure there's plenty of water around & I'm happy as a clam. We're going to be checking out a number of different places once we get back to Florida, but right now, we're leaning towards a small community in Dundee that we've found. Dundee's "official population" is under 4000 - I love it!

A smaller home will be easier to keep up with, less space to "clutter up" over time, the community is right on a lovely large lake & we hope to get a pontoon boat, and we'll be within easy driving distance of either coast when we want to spend time at the ocean. I couldn't ask for anything more.

That might not be everyone's cup of tea obviously -- but it's the lifestyle that WE want -- we could care less about fancy shopping, dining, nightlife, etc.... that's just not for us any more. I hate shopping of any sort - I only go shopping when it's completely necessary & probably buy 95% of our "stuff" online - wish I could do ALL shopping online, so much easier & usually less expensive too. We very rarely ever go out to eat, maybe once or twice in the past year - and it's been at least 10-12 years since I last set foot in a bar or nightclub.

Give me the beautiful Florida outdoors where we can enjoy being outside almost year-round. Yes, I always spent plenty of time outdoors n the summer too - the heat/humidity doesn't seem *that* bad to me, shoot just stay in the shade as much as you can during the peak of the afternoon, no problem... but then I lived in FL all my life until recently, so I guess maybe I'm more accustomed to it than some.

Give me some body of WATER nearby, be it a river, lake, stream, wetlands, whatever. Let me open my bedroom window & hear the frog's singing at night. Put me within reasonable distance to the ocean, let me spend an afternoon at a lovely state park wandering a nature trail & listening to the birds, laying out under a shade tree reading a good book, picnic lunches by the lake, fishing, boating, etc, watching a beautiful sunset, hearing sandhill cranes call, finding a pretty shell at the beach, watching dolphins frolic in the waves, seeing a gator - man, I miss seeing gators!!! Wearing shorts & flip-flops 90% of the year -- THAT's my idea of "the rich life". OMG, I'm so homesick I could just crawl in a hole & die - I NEED to get back to Florida so badly.....

Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I moved to Gainesville in May 1971 because a BF asked me to come. That it was Florida made no difference to me. I just wanted to be with him. That Thanksgiving I spent with his parents in Bradenton. They asked me after dinner (smoked turkey on BBQ!!!) if I wanted to take a ride to the beach. No thank you. I didn't like the beach in July, let alone on Thanksgiving in November. By mid December I started to see all those Santas in their shorts, lights on Palm Trees, and thought I was just going to lose it. I felt I just had to get out of here asap. I packed my stuff, left him, lived my life, and never looked back for over 30 years.

So what neat little package of why people leave and come back does that fit in to? I did not like Florida's weather or anything associated with it, back when I was 22 years old. I am not going to go back into my current circumstances of being here, suffice to say that I did not want to come back.

You know what? One size just does not fit ALL. No matter how much you may like to fit a square peg into a round one.

Yes, I blame FLORIDA because I blame Florida's weather, palm trees, nothing changing from January to June, all activities geared to outside activites and sunshine, beaches, bla, bla, bla.
If I understand your post, you hate Florida. Thats fine, so what is your point? Why are you posting here?????????

Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Because to some posters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
If I understand your post, you hate Florida. Thats fine, so what is your point? Why are you posting here?????????

everything has to fit into a nice little neat package of about 3 reasons why people leave Florida. One size does not fit all.

It is always YOUR fault, not Florida's. Florida's weather is Florida's fault.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
everything has to fit into a nice little neat package of about 3 reasons why people leave Florida. One size does not fit all.

It is always YOUR fault, not Florida's. Florida's weather is Florida's fault.
Am I correct, you don't like Florida? Why do you visit this forum? What is the objective? Most people tend to move on from things I don't like, otherwise it is like a stalker mentality. What it the point of coming here and bickering?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Default I happen to live here

Quote:
Am I correct, you don't like Florida? Why do you visit this forum? What is the objective? Most people tend to move on from things I don't like, otherwise it is like a stalker mentality. What it the point of coming here and bickering?
so I can't post on a Florida board? Only POSITIVE things about Florida are allowed?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The homes you will find for cheap will be in towns you will not want to live in. Yes, most of the state is depressed and run down anymore other then the exceptions of burbs outside of Columbus such as Pickerington, Dublin, Granville etc and in the northern burbs of Cincinnati. Most of eastern Ohio has fallen apart with the massive job losses. Living outside of Columbus Ohio is really not that bad if you like the weather and can find a job to be able to afford to live in one of those areas I mentioned above.

Homes in my area are valued from 300-500k with a couple in the 750-1k range.

Believe me I am not looking at crap towns in Florida, why move to Florida and live in a dump?

I won't move to Fort Myers but looking at new listings I found a 4/2/2 2400 sq ft home that can be had for 199k, large corner lot, pool and lanai and beautiful!

This home in the link is somewhat comparable to mine in Ohio and it is in Lutz, Florida.

This is the type or similar in size of the homes we are looking for in Florida.

5544 Avenue Du Soleil Ave, Lutz, FL, 33558 - MLS ID#7357639 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5544-Avenue-Du-Soleil-Ave_Lutz_FL_33558_1101513594?source=web - broken link)

Look at the pictures, the second picture on the right is like being in heaven. Now that is what we would love to have year around.

We have a pool here but we can only use it 3-4 months a year, in this house we would be in it year around.
From just the pictures that seems to be a great deal for the money, until you read the fine print. This is a short sale home that you may get for the stated price, but that's not been very likely.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
so I can't post on a Florida board? Only POSITIVE things about Florida are allowed?
You can post what you want, it was your motives I was questioning. It certainly doesn't seem to be a source of enjoyment to you, unless you get some joy from trying to make others feel as miserable as you do. Many are very happy, your not. So be it.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
Straight from the Orlando forum...

"Lots of people from FL are moving to Raleigh, NC. I moved in 95 from the Winter Springs area and love it here. If any of you want info on the area, just let me know. The schools are great, its a family friendly area with a much more stable real estate market then FL has at the moment."
We just moved from Raleigh to Gainesville since most of our family is in FL. Overall we liked NC much better than FL with the exception of Gainesville and St. Augustine. Granted we both went to UF so that is a lot of the appeal. All things equal we'd pick to live NC(Chapel Hill).

Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
You can post what you want, it was your motives I was questioning. It certainly doesn't seem to be a source of enjoyment to you, unless you get some joy from trying to make others feel as miserable as you do. Many are very happy, your not. So be it.

vent
n.
1. A means of escape or release from confinement; an outlet: give vent to one's anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida