Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 AM

239 posts, read 612,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Meg,

I disagree with you... People without jobs have everything to lose. Have you heard that lay-offs from GM alone will exceed 100000 people? The ripple effect will have a profound effect upon virtually every sector and region in our country. Now is not the time to leave any job.... even with the 20% paycut... because there will be intense competition both for the job that you are seeking, as well as, the job(s) being left behind. Will your parents be willing (and able) to support you (if their savings will carry them) until you arrive at this same conclusion? Some may disagree with you, as well, about moving to "more pleasant surroundings" being that unemployment, disappearing job opportunities, foreclosures, shorts sales, et al are not making Florida such a pleasant place to be, right now.

Some traditions are best left to die, at least until people can afford to pay for them with real money, not pipe dreams of the way you think that it will be.

Oh you misunderstood me. I'm not going anywhere without a job lined up!
It looks like I might have to wait a while. My plan was to be in Florida by July, but it looks like it might be the fall or even winter. It's hugely disappointing, but I would not make such a leap without knowing I'd be able to support myself.
I was just speculating, trying to understand why people who do head to Florida without jobs lined up might think that's a good idea. I don't necessarily agree or think it's a wise choice, but it is sort of understandable.
Perhaps there are others with enough savings to support themselves for a while. I don't know.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:15 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
You must be referring to Ohio, Switzerland or Ohio, Dubai and not U.S. Ohio. Ohio is probably one of the cheapest places to live. They will practically give you a house just to move to Ohio. A friend of mine just moved back up there and to a decent area. He bought a house in a decent area for 50% less than Florida. He moved because he couldn't afford it in FL anymore. What makes you think Florida is so cheap when people are losing their homes every second and trying to move away due to the high cost of living?
What good is a house in Ohio if you cannot find work to pay for it?

I follow the COL factors and for the town I live in and the town I am looking at in Florida I can live 20-25% cheaper in Florida then Ohio.

Money and a home are not everything in life, if you enjoy warm weather and Florida moving to Ohio just because you can buy a house cheaper is not a smart move in my opinion.

Sure it might find a house for 50% cheaper but he is giving up things he like to do or enjoy just for cheaper living.

By they way, I can buy almost two beautiful homes in Florida right now for the price of the house I live in right now in Ohio.

Talk about giving away homes, you can buy a large beautiful home in Florida right now for 150-200 range with similar homes area listed for 300-350 right now.

COL is 20-25% cheaper in Florida right now then in most places in Ohio.

Why would someone give up a better quality of life to live in a cheaper home is beyond me. In most cases the home is not only cheaper but is not as nice.

Did your friend live in Ohio before and moved to Florida?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:53 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
What good is a house in Ohio if you cannot find work to pay for it?

I follow the COL factors and for the town I live in and the town I am looking at in Florida I can live 20-25% cheaper in Florida then Ohio.

Money and a home are not everything in life, if you enjoy warm weather and Florida moving to Ohio just because you can buy a house cheaper is not a smart move in my opinion.

Sure it might find a house for 50% cheaper but he is giving up things he like to do or enjoy just for cheaper living.

By they way, I can buy almost two beautiful homes in Florida right now for the price of the house I live in right now in Ohio.

Talk about giving away homes, you can buy a large beautiful home in Florida right now for 150-200 range with similar homes area listed for 300-350 right now.

COL is 20-25% cheaper in Florida right now then in most places in Ohio.

Why would someone give up a better quality of life to live in a cheaper home is beyond me. In most cases the home is not only cheaper but is not as nice.

Did your friend live in Ohio before and moved to Florida?
Yes they were originally from Ohio and moved to Florida many years ago. Either you live in a new ultra expensive mansion in Ohio or you are looking at crap dump towns in Florida as a comparison. I spent a lot of time all over Ohio and most of the state is depressed and very cheap living. It is on par with Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh. How else would the locals be able to afford to live there? You will find a normal sized home in Florida in decent areas for $150K - $200K but not big homes in nicer areas like Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter or Wellington, etc. You could probably get a starter home for that price.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:32 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Yes they were originally from Ohio and moved to Florida many years ago. Either you live in a new ultra expensive mansion in Ohio or you are looking at crap dump towns in Florida as a comparison. I spent a lot of time all over Ohio and most of the state is depressed and very cheap living. It is on par with Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh. How else would the locals be able to afford to live there? You will find a normal sized home in Florida in decent areas for $150K - $200K but not big homes in nicer areas like Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter or Wellington, etc. You could probably get a starter home for that price.
LOL - well I can't get even a "starter" home in any city in coastal California, so what? Nice areas command big prices - law of supply and demand.

Anyway, some of us are quite happy with what you would call a "starter" home. I live great in my little 2 BR vintage 1950's home just 2 blocks from the bay. Wouldn't want any bigger.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
The homes you will find for cheap will be in towns you will not want to live in. Yes, most of the state is depressed and run down anymore other then the exceptions of burbs outside of Columbus such as Pickerington, Dublin, Granville etc and in the northern burbs of Cincinnati. Most of eastern Ohio has fallen apart with the massive job losses. Living outside of Columbus Ohio is really not that bad if you like the weather and can find a job to be able to afford to live in one of those areas I mentioned above.

Homes in my area are valued from 300-500k with a couple in the 750-1k range.

Believe me I am not looking at crap towns in Florida, why move to Florida and live in a dump?

I won't move to Fort Myers but looking at new listings I found a 4/2/2 2400 sq ft home that can be had for 199k, large corner lot, pool and lanai and beautiful!

This home in the link is somewhat comparable to mine in Ohio and it is in Lutz, Florida.

This is the type or similar in size of the homes we are looking for in Florida.

5544 Avenue Du Soleil Ave, Lutz, FL, 33558 - MLS ID#7357639 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5544-Avenue-Du-Soleil-Ave_Lutz_FL_33558_1101513594?source=web - broken link)

Look at the pictures, the second picture on the right is like being in heaven. Now that is what we would love to have year around.

We have a pool here but we can only use it 3-4 months a year, in this house we would be in it year around.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
So yet another person who moved to Florida and expected something they did not get? Now want to move back to Ohio.

Why did they move to Florida in the first place? Coming back here only tells me they should not have moved in the first place or are just wanting to live as cheaply as they can and will give up enjoying life at all cost.

They moved to Florida for a reason and now want to move back? Does not make any sense to me.

If I move to Florida and do not like the town we chose I sure the hell am not moving back here, I am moving to enjoy life, not come back here and be cold again.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
I would much rather have a modest home in Fla. than a big one in Ohio. But that's just me.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM

I agree. Unless it's for work or a divorce situation where you need to be near kids, I don't understand this constant moving back and forth between here and up north that I see on CD. Doesn't make sense. People can do what they want but takes too much money and time for me to do that.

Quote:
So yet another person who moved to Florida and expected something they did not get? Now want to move back to Ohio.

Why did they move to Florida in the first place? Coming back here only tells me they should not have moved in the first place or are just wanting to live as cheaply as they can and will give up enjoying life at all cost.

They moved to Florida for a reason and now want to move back? Does not make any sense to me.

If I move to Florida and do not like the town we chose I sure the hell am not moving back here, I am moving to enjoy life, not come back here and be cold again.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I agree. Unless it's for work or a divorce situation where you need to be near kids, I don't understand this constant moving back and forth between here and up north that I see on CD. Doesn't make sense. People can do what they want but takes too much money and time for me to do that.
I agree with you.

What a waste of time.

You will find that most people who move to Florida and end up moving back blame Florida for them leaving when most cases they either overpaid for their homes, spent to much money, got to far in debt and run back to where they came from to feel comfortable.

While others do miss family I understand that, but why leave in the first place then.

I also agree with your above post, I will take a somewhat smaller home just to be in paradise myself. But I wont sacrifice moving back to Ohio to live in a shack just to save money and not enjoy life.

They left the north for a reason to go to Florida in most cases to be in warm weather and be around things Florida has to offer, to have a life in a place they thought fit them, then why the heck would anyone move back north again? They left here to be in Florida and now move back to the north. Does not make sense at all.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:10 PM

My guess is that they decided to move here without ever having visited first, or if they did visit it was to some party place like Key West.

Quote:
I agree with you.

What a waste of time.

You will find that most people who move to Florida and end up moving back blame Florida for them leaving when most cases they either overpaid for their homes, spent to much money, got to far in debt and run back to where they came from to feel comfortable.

While others do miss family I understand that, but why leave in the first place then.

I also agree with your above post, I will take a somewhat smaller home just to be in paradise myself. But I wont sacrifice moving back to Ohio to live in a shack just to save money and not enjoy life.

They left the north for a reason to go to Florida in most cases to be in warm weather and be around things Florida has to offer, to have a life in a place they thought fit them, then why the heck would anyone move back north again? They left here to be in Florida and now move back to the north. Does not make sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida